New Adidas Collaborations

stylegurrl

Reaction score
Stella McCartney's New Kicks
McCartney to be named Adidas's latest design collaborator

NEW YORK - Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Shoe design collaborations seem to be the hot topic lately. We reported last week that IOC had partnered with Easy Spirit to produce a high-end line of comfortable shoes. And now, The Daily has learned exclusively that tomorrow during an Adidas press conference, designer Stella McCartney will officially be named the company’s newest design collaborator. Details remain mum about the line, to be called “Adidas by Stella McCartney,” but McCartney did land in New York today and will be on hand tomorrow afternoon at the David Barton Gym to officially disclose the nitty-gritty of her new wares. And since no visit to New York during Fashion Week would be complete without a party, McCartney and Adidas will co-host an exclusive soiree later that evening at Sky Studios.

In related news, Adidas Originals is hoping to be “The Greatest” through its new partnership with boxing legend Muhammad Ali. The collaboration will launch "Ali by Adidas," a line of men’s apparel and accessories next spring, followed by a full line of footwear next fall. Product themes will include “Fight night,” “Ring Side” and “Fan Wear” appealing to fans of the iconic boxer as well as to the men’s street wear market. According to Adidas, the collection will be reminiscent of the ’60s and ’70s, with a focus on stitch-for-stitch historical staples like terrycloth polo shirts, hooded sweatshirts and t-shirts with bold graphics.

Back in February 2004, Adidas launched the “Impossible is Nothing” campaign, which featured Ali along with 22 other athletes. Adidas president and CEO Erich Stamminger commented on the collaboration, saying, “We at Adidas were honored to have worked with Muhammad Ali on the ‘Impossible is Nothing’ campaign. This line, ‘Ali by Adidas,’ pays tribute to the legacy of the greatest sports icons of all time.”
JIM SHI

Fashion Week Daily

I kinda want to see the Stella stuff, the Yamamoto/Adidas collaboration turned out some cool shoes.

I'm still waiting to see Missy Elliots stuff...

The 60's inspired Mohommad Ali stuff sounds cool.

Originally posted by pinkfairy@Sep 7 2004, 10:56 PM
I'm still waiting to see Missy Elliots stuff...

The 60's inspired Mohommad Ali stuff sounds cool.
[snapback]358912[/snapback]​

all the respect M.E. stuff is up at adidas.com... :P

i'm frankly very unimpressed by it...
and i'm a little over all this collaboration now...it was cool when yohji first did it...but now it just seems like overkill...

will stella do high-heel sneakers???...makes sense with her no-leather stance...herr fall runway booties lookes like sneakers... :innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
another stella fall 04 shoe

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by softgrey@Sep 8 2004, 09:39 AM
all the respect M.E. stuff is up at adidas.com... :P

i'm frankly very unimpressed by it...
and i'm a little over all this collaboration now...it was cool when yohji first did it...but now it just seems like overkill...

will stella do high-heel sneakers???...makes sense with her no-leather stance...herr fall runway booties lookes like sneakers... :innocent:
[snapback]359387[/snapback]​

I was disappointed by the ME stuff, too, except this one:

[attachmentid=25570]

that one's ok...tang...but it still has her ugly initials on the back...looks way too much like high school to me...but maybe that's who it's aimed at...what's missy's demographic??...

Originally posted by softgrey@Sep 8 2004, 02:06 PM
looks way too much like high school to me...but maybe that's who it's aimed at...what's missy's demographic??...
[snapback]359558[/snapback]​
You just named it. :wink:

hmm..

090904_21.jpg

Stella Goes for Gold

NEW YORK — If Stella McCartney has her way, the new apparel line she has with Adidas will be worn at the world’s premier sporting event.

“I would love to see people at the Olympics wearing this,” the designer said at a press conference here Wednesday to launch the line, Adidas by Stella McCartney. “This is a pure performance line and we plan for it to be sold with sporting apparel.”

Fittingly, the launch event was held at the new David Barton gym on West 23rd Street, where models biked, stretched and lifted weights as McCartney and Adidas executives spoke to the crowd. As reported exclusively in WWD on Wednesday, the 58-piece initial collection will hit stores for spring and includes fashionable items for running, swimming, yoga and more, made of performance fabrics. “It’s important to feel proud of what you are wearing both inside the gym and outside the gym,” McCartney added. “You can work out in this but also wear it out afterward to a bar.”

Michael Michalsky, Adidas’ global creative director, said the company particularly admired how McCartney “mixes tailoring with street cool.”

The collaboration is part of a growing trend in the sport world of companies linking up with fashion designers, musicians and celebrities to extend their brands into new arenas and connect with more consumers. Adidas also has lines with Missy Elliott and Yohji Yamamoto, while Puma works with model Christy Turlington on the Nuala line as well as with former Gucci designer Neil Barrett, and Reebok has teamed up with Pharrell Williams, Jay-Z and 50 Cent, and also had a collaboration with Diane von Furstenberg.

“There are a lot of collaborations now, and many people are adding yoga pieces here and there, but I am not the kind of person to do something I don’t believe in,” McCartney added. “This is the real thing, and if something didn’t have performance elements, it didn’t make it into the line.”

— Melanie Kletter

:blink: Well, alrighty then...

STELLA'S RUNNING HIGH

STELLA MCCARTNEY has hooked up with Adidas to design a new collection of stylish, high-tech gym wear. Determined to change the way women dress when they exercise, McCartney worked with a number of athletes to create a collection for runners, swimmers and gym enthusiasts. "Go into sports shops and most of the stuff available looks like My Little Pony on heat," she said during the launch of the new line in New York yesterday. "It's all baby pink, candy-floss, baby blue, head-to-toe. What grown-up woman wants to look like an Eighties teenager? I find it degrading. It's so inappropriate. Women deserve to feel good when they're working out. They don't want to look like pastel Barbies." The new collection, which Adidas says was the beginning of a long-term partnership that will involve clothes for all kinds of sports, features a palette that runs from dusky rose, lemon and grey to infra-red and grass green. And Stella has given it plenty of her signature style, including details such as laser-edge eyelets, seaming that follows the body's natural curves and raw-edges. (September 9 2004, AM)

And Stella has given it plenty of her signature style, including details such as laser-edge eyelets, seaming that follows the body's natural curves and raw-edges

How radical.

I can't stand Stella.

I can't stand the all out pimping of Muhammad Ali. It really disturbs me, but his name does sell and anyone (including himself) would capitalize on this. It will be interesting to see if the younger market, which will be purchasing the majority of his line will be receptive to his line based on his name alone. I can clearly see how Missy would sell.....not too sure with M. Ali.

theory...don't you think ali makes more sense than mc cartney?...at least he's an ATHLETE...!!! ^_^ :lol:

True, but...and I am trying to put this nicely....exactly what on Earth can Ali design at this point? I mean, let's be realistic here. I think he will have very little input on the line, which I know seems to be a growing trend in the world of fashion today....but I mean what more can he do than nod his head yes at whatever is presented to him???

Poor Stella can't catch a break around these parts...... :lol:

Originally posted by softgrey@Sep 9 2004, 08:41 PM
theory...don't you think ali makes more sense than mc cartney?...at least he's an ATHLETE...!!! ^_^ :lol:
[snapback]361397[/snapback]​

I agree with Theory. Mr. Ali is a sports legend but in his current condition I actually can't see him having much involvement in the development or design of the line. :( There are numerous other well-known sports figures they could have used.

As for Stella's line, I have been seeing more photos of it that are cropping up online and have to say that I don't think much of it. She trashed other sports lines for making women look like Barbie or 'My Little Pony on heat', yet her line has 'feminine' colors, bows and details that are more fashion than function. How does she think her pink baggy windbreaker and coulotte set (sp?) is any more 'athletic' than anyone elses. :innocent:

Thanks for the links to the Missy collaboration... :flower:

Anyways I was under the impression that the M.Ali stuff wont be designed by him -but inspired by the clothes that he wore during his reign, after all the line is called Ali by Adidas - not Adidas by Ali.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->