NY Times snubbed by Herrera

Apparently, this is what upset her:

Carolina Herrera's collection was remarkably irrelevant. I can't imagine her wearing these clothes: print dresses in pool shades of aqua (with black tights, to boot) and rusty wool suits with fussy collars or ruched yokes and sleeves that looked trussed rather than finessed. With a ruched garment, do you really want to see the strings?

nytimes.com

Alejandro said:
that's absurd, whatever happened to freedom of speach?.

They are free to say whatever they want and as fashion shows are private events they can pick and choose who is invited to them.

Horne rubs a lot of people the wrong way. After S/S Dior Homme there was a press statement from Hedi that was refuting what she said about him being influenced by the Mishapes and what not.

post #21
hmm...
i'd have to agree
carolina herrera's collections have been going downhill for awhile IMO

I only check her collection on Style.com to read Cathy Horyn's scathing reviews. I like her because she doesnt care, I dont like Herrera cause she's a puss.

I like how she sticks up for herself. screw them. do what you want and they can move along

the press that comes from banning a journalist is ten times worse then one bad review that your customers wouldn't be affected by anyway...

It's disturbing...It seems the only truly free opinions are to be found on sites like this one. I wonder if the TFS will come under similar pressures if they were to accept advertising some day?

I don't think Horyn is that ballsy. I remember watching a segment on the Galliano F06 and there was this one journalist who said the collection was downright ugly, but Cathy said stoically "I liked the collection. I was worth driving an hour to this place," or something to that effect.

But my motto is you never know what a journalist thinks of a collection until they compare it to how awful the previous one was. Case in point: style.com vs the early days of Pilati.

How silly. Constructive criticism keeps an artist on their toes imho and should be welcomed. If the editors are not allowed to critique the collections then what will be the purpose of any of them attending any show? The designers can simply show the collections directly to the buyers then and not waste anyone's time. They would save lots of money as well. :innocent:

I wonder if she was invited to Rodarte since she ripped them a new one last season? I like Ms. Horyn cause she isn't afraid to hate.

No wonder style.com's reviews are so watered down and bland. I mean, they honestly gave Douglas Hannat's new collection a decent review when they should have b*tch beaten him into the ground. I guess honesty ISN'T the best policy in this case.

And yes, Horyn didn't miss much at all. Another boring collection.

i dont really know much about this...
what happened, who said what, etc...

but in carolina's defense-
she has a right to make her runway show a positive affair...
and if it upsets her to have people misunderstand her work, then i think this decision is self-preserving....from what i understand of the fashion world, there is no way you make it to the level she has without enduring your fair share of criticism- so this is obviously not her issue.....i'm sure she has had years of criticism and has learned to deal with it....
now that she's in a place to invite whomever she wants, maybe she's just enjoying that luxury, and doesnt want to share her show with people who hate what she's doing....

i dont love her clothing....but i respect her if she's surrounding herself with positive, open people....
this doesnt change free speech- this journalist can write whatever she wants and say whatever she wants.....she just isnt welcome at the show....

I do realize being at the show is very important, but must they be there to report? Cannot they look at the pictures a few hours later or is that too late?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LolaC888
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->