Press not invited to shows due to previous bad reviews

finally someone said it.

stilettogirl84 said:
I guess we will just have to form our own opinions of the shows, rather than waiting for sarah mower to tell us what our opinion is...:innocent:
:clap: :clap: :bounce: :bounce: i love carmen in your avatar

JJohnson said:
oh sal.... so anyways, Menkes cannot go to any shows owned by LVMH? Wow thats like almost everything! Marc Jacobs, Donna Karan, Pucci, Vuitton, Kenzo, Celine, and so on....wow...how scary..

Well I only think she was denied one time for a John Galliano (or was it a Dior) show..it wouln't be a very wise idea to refuse Suzy Menkes as she is one of the most influential persons in fashion press

The deal with the Suzy Menkes situation was this. She unfairly criticized Galliano's use of Middle Eastern themes a mere two weeks after Sept. 11 and kind of attacked the percieved insensitivity, which is why Arnault jumped to his defense.

The matter was resolved a short time later though.

AGiles said:
but thats discussing one element of the collection. she didnt discuss the beautiful preportion, the great black dresses and pants the lilac skirt's waist wasent so high and it was incredeble.what about the the satin gown ?
if you look at the first 5 looks of a collection and write your review its no good. and as for the hard to wear element. everyone has been so focused on is it easy to wear the last 6 seasons and i just have to say im tired of it putting women in these tops and dresses that make them look 9 months pregnant and calling it Volume is not chic if you go back in history of fashions have been hard to wear some even painful but thats the price of beauty sometimes. so i say if you want easy to wear go shopping at a Texas walmart not at a French Coture house.

this sub-discussion does obviously NOT belong in here.

it's absolutely in the eye of beholder to decide if you approve or disapprove a collection, it's also a matter of opinion what you think a french couture house shall deliver - it's obvious that there are a lot of nuances between walmart sweatshop-fashion and contrived clothes as the ones tisci showed in his first ready-to-wear show.

it's enough to say though that fashion does not - and never did - exist as an artform for itself, clothes have to function (as being wearable) to a certain extend, they end up being bought by shops and customers, not for the designer's own fetishistic fantasies.

Hmm, I was wondering why they weren't on style!!! I love D & G but there last show WAS really cheesy!

CharlottefromCA said:
This can't help but remind me of the time (allegedly at least..) Domenico forced Jenny McCarthey to take off her Dolce dress after not recognizing who he was..

I agree.. this is petty.. maybe I could expect it from Domenico, but Carolina Hererra banning Cathy Horyn... thats horrible.

That is just ludicrous ... get a sense of humor, buddy. There are lots of celebs who would give their eye teeth not to be recognized, esp by Jenny McCarthy :rolleyes:

stilettogirl84 said:
I guess we will just have to form our own opinions of the shows, rather than waiting for sarah mower to tell us what our opinion is...:innocent:

:lol:

What I do find useful is the connections reviewers draw, their analysis, and the stuff they can see in the front row that you just can't get from photos ...

If I depend on style.com for information, and they shut style.com out, they've shut me out too.

AGiles said:
they sell sweat pants and mom jeans at walmart i hear they are comfortable.
lol

i wasnt attacking you personally im just so tired of all of these over relaxed looks we are almost back to those tacky track suits.
okay, i get where you are coming from.

if you are looking on classical parisian couture however- say, people like vionnet, chanel or balenciaga, they did a great effort liberating women, either way, by relaxing the stiff and corsetted early 1900s silhouette (in my opinion, christian dior had been a dreadful step back in terms of couture culture) or offering menswear staples to women (especially in case of yves and chanel). all of those boxy jackets that we are seing these days could have probably never existed without christobal balenciaga, that sort of controlled volume is lightyears away from the volume of a pair of wide track suit pants.

Although I may not agree with univiting an editor, I have found that 9 out of 10 of the reviews on Style.com aren't very nice this season. Even with Gucci, there were some comments that took me a back...I guess it's all about politics at the end of the day.

Well I thought the review for Gucci by Sarah Mower wasn't unjust! But yeah everything is about politics end of the day.

:heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
I too noticed the harsher reviews at Style.com this season. It's odd since, even in the rare event that they do point out something bad, they usually word it in a sugar-coated kind of way to soften the blow.

nqth said:
It happened before. Suzy Menkes was banned in a Dior show because she criticized Galliano's previous collection as too agressive.

Press ppl have a hard job:-) You can't just see the show you like:-))

actually she was baaned from all LVMH presentations, because she said Galliano´s collection for Dior was to insensitive regarding recent 9/11 issues (back in 2002), but she was soon forgiven.

as many have said, this always happens, since ever, but usually designers used to allow that unpleasant press at last minute into their shows, sometimes they get mad at magazines because they show other designer´s dress on a certain cover, etc...

but actually i quite agree with designers, of course that one has to be smart, but dolce&gabbana shows their collections to the entire world on the net, while the show is actually happen, it´s so extremely mediatic, that the fact that they will not be posted in one website, and by that they will avoid a negative review that millions of people will read, it´s quite smart.

Lidi said:
Is D&G having financial problems? Banning bad press to prevent further sales loss is an old tactic dating way, way back, no?

Not at all.. D&G has never been so powerful, recent economic reports (Financial Times) shows that they were number 1 in sales in Russia and Dubai, the most important luxury markets nowadays ($$$)

In fact we cannot forget that Vogue depends on advertising, and they are one of the most important, every single glossy that matters you open will have a spread of theirs, and the people that given them real money doesn't even read or know the existence of Style.com, they are people that like a huge DOLCE & GABANNA writen on a white t-shirt, its tacky but sells v. well and will sell if Mrs Mower likes it or not.

I like Mrs Mower a lot, she's intelligent and has a good sense of English humour, but her viewpoint should be a cherry on top of the cake, not the cake itself..

I'm sure Domenico & Stefano will be laughing about it in their yacht drinking a ice cold Cristal while mere mortals are in need of R&R, or grumping around...

For a marketing perspective, they have more effective press no allowing them to come.. taking myself as example, i would never would spend my time writing about it if wasn't for this.

I don't like them, but it makes me laugh for a while.

tricotineacetat said:
this sub-discussion does obviously NOT belong in here.

it's absolutely in the eye of beholder to decide if you approve or disapprove a collection, it's also a matter of opinion what you think a french couture house shall deliver - it's obvious that there are a lot of nuances between walmart sweatshop-fashion and contrived clothes as the ones tisci showed in his first ready-to-wear show.

it's enough to say though that fashion does not - and never did - exist as an artform for itself, clothes have to function (as being wearable) to a certain extend, they end up being bought by shops and customers, not for the designer's own fetishistic fantasies.
tricotineacetat said:
okay, i get where you are coming from.

if you are looking on classical parisian couture however- say, people like vionnet, chanel or balenciaga, they did a great effort liberating women, either way, by relaxing the stiff and corsetted early 1900s silhouette (in my opinion, christian dior had been a dreadful step back in terms of couture culture) or offering menswear staples to women (especially in case of yves and chanel). all of those boxy jackets that we are seing these days could have probably never existed without christobal balenciaga, that sort of controlled volume is lightyears away from the volume of a pair of wide track suit pants.

this almost turned into a fight.my point was just what u spoke about the volume in the latest collections is completely out of control in the sense that it looks sloppy i.e much of the mark jacobs i applauded tisci for not following a trend and trying to create a new vocabulary for Givenchy and you will see in the spring collection for 07 is very closely related to the 06 collection in very inilectual way. anyway its obvious we love fashion i look fwd to debating the looks that come out of paris next week.

AGiles said:
this almost turned into a fight.my point was just what u spoke about the volume in the latest collections is completely out of control in the sense that it looks sloppy i.e much of the mark jacobs i applauded tisci for not following a trend and trying to create a new vocabulary for Givenchy and you will see in the spring collection for 07 is very closely related to the 06 collection in very inilectual way. anyway its obvious we love fashion i look fwd to debating the looks that come out of paris next week.

Let's both just agree on the fact that we disapprove amateur-ish use of 'volume' as done at Marc Jacobs, I probably hated that one just as much as you do. Oh, and I actually thought the F/W 2006 collection by Tisci was quite beautiful... :wink: :flower:

esquire said:
Not at all.. D&G has never been so powerful, recent economic reports (Financial Times) shows that they were number 1 in sales in Russia and Dubai, the most important luxury markets nowadays ($$$)

oh dear, there are too many people in the world with no taste!

tricotineacetat said:
Let's both just agree on the fact that we disapprove amateur-ish use of 'volume' as done at Marc Jacobs, I probably hated that one just as much as you do. Oh, and I actually thought the F/W 2006 collection by Tisci was quite beautiful... :wink: :flower:

o yes it was the red satin dress at the end looked like liquid. amazing amazing! anyway good talking with you.

style_expert said:
Well I only think she was denied one time for a John Galliano (or was it a Dior) show..it wouln't be a very wise idea to refuse Suzy Menkes as she is one of the most influential persons in fashion press

oh ok thx for the clear up

Spike413 said:
The deal with the Suzy Menkes situation was this. She unfairly criticized Galliano's use of Middle Eastern themes a mere two weeks after Sept. 11 and kind of attacked the percieved insensitivity, which is why Arnault jumped to his defense.

The matter was resolved a short time later though.

thx for the explaination, i thought she was banned for good :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yujiaolong666
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->