Online shopping vs actual store shopping

ultramarine

chaos reigns
Reaction score
So I was posting something on the new forum "In depth" which, btw I just love and all of a sudden I mentioned this and noticed here wasnt a thread!

How on Earth? :blink:

So here I am ... I mean .. online shopping can be awesome for people like me who live in fashion Siberia to get cool things from all over the world ... but theres a moment where I draw the line ... I could never ever ever buy sunglasses or eyeglasses without trying them on first ...

Then theres the matter of how nowadays with the crisis more and more designers are opening online shops ... ^_^

Thoughts?

I like to online "window shop", mainly because there aren't really any good Canadian online shops, and the duties and taxes for ordering from the US are really high. If I lived in the US though....I think I would almost stop going to physical stores!

I don't think I would buy pants online, because my body shape is quite pear and it's hard to find things that fit properly. And same with you-I wouldn't buy sunglasses either because it's too hard to know with your face shape.

I live in Hamburg, which is quite "fashion siberia". We have a couple of good stores over here (Jil Sander, Louis Vuitton, Bottega Veneta) and a store, that sells a couple of Lanvin, Dior Homme, etc. pieces. But their selection is very ... limited. Unfortunately Burberry recently closed.

I only go into these stores, to my sizes for these brands (especially recommendable with Jil Sander pants), to buy the pieces later on yoox or another online store, that puts the items on sale.

So I have no choice. The UK has some very good online stores, where I order regularly. And it's a priceless feeling to unpack a packet full of clothes. But touching, trying on and getting informations by professional salespersons is something, that is missing while online shopping.

I like online shopping or browsing, it's great for getting ideas for you want to buy before hitting the shops so that you can avoid impulse purchases. For me though it doesn't come anywhere near the store shopping experience. I love that feeling you get when you go through the racks and find something cool and unexpected and I like to feel the clothes and look at them in real life before I buy. Plus because I'm short that means that it's quite a gamble as to whether a lot of things will suit me or not so I like to try a lot of things on.

I'm super addicted to online shopping. I love checking NAP, LVR, shopbop and eBay every day for all the new stuff. I like going store shopping too but I'm really into designer stuff and always feel uncomfortable in posh stores, so online shopping is the best way to check out designer clothes (which I won't buy anyway, I just like looking at them for inspiration) without getting paranoid.

We don't have TopShop or All Saints here, so I love online shopping (and window shopping) on their sites. I used to be scared of buying things online because I was scared the things wouldn't fit me, but since I only buy good stuff (i.e. no cheap basics or anything) online I've been lucky so far. I never had to return anything. So overall I much prefer online shopping over actual store shopping, it's so much more fun and so much less expensive, too ^_^

So overall I much prefer online shopping over actual store shopping, it's so much more fun and so much less expensive, too ^_^

This is why I prefer to shop online-prices are much higher in Canada than in the US, our taxes on top of that are higher as well. So I often ship things to a US address then drive across the border to pick them up. I save SO much compared to buying them in store. I don't shop online often though, because it's still such a hassle to drive across and pick them up (and the border guards will hassle you too).

Maybe since I am in Baltimore it may explain this but I prefer online shopping. Even when I am in NYC or DC I just wait till I get back home to order what I liked online. I do end up feeling kind of bad since the employees won't get commission for my online order. I mean to do more in store online orders from brands like Burberry so they can get commission, always in there nagging them anyway.

i do most of my shopping online now, the only item i always buy in store are shoes.

I shop online a lot. Including on ebay. Because there are so many better things and brands online you can't find in your own country.. Plus it's easy. Especially in the winter. Shoes are tricky but it usually works for me..

i actually find shoes to be the easiest thing to buy online when it comes to guessing the best fit.

I love shopping online mainly because I don't think there's enough demand for great selection here in Canada. Although import duties are crazy here, sometimes I still manage to find better deals online even if I include import duties. I also dislike the messy stores (F21, Zara) and the outrageously overpriced Holt Renfrew, so I pretty much only buy online now and it's fun when you find a discount!

However, I must say that I have purchased things I probably wouldn't have purchased if I was shopping in an actual store (a few years ago I bought all these vintage shoes on ebay that I never ever wore...)

For things like pricier sunglasses, I try to try them on at stores first and then I research the prices online. Never had any issues with buying shoes online fortunately...

I still like shopping in stores though. I always shop in stores when I'm travelling abroad

Last edited by a moderator:
Love online shopping... I like that I can take as long as I want, search for exactly what I want... and find a great bargain if I want. I use eBay very often...

There is definitely a time and place for store shopping, but it's for when I have the time and am not looking for anything in particular. But I am by no means a big spender.

I shop online a lot! This is because we don't have that good selection of stores here in Finland. I'm quite busy nowdays (started my own advertising agency), so it also saves me some time. Lunch hour and late night is my shopping time :smile:

I hate to shop online. Even if it's not clothes but skincare products and stuff like that. For clothes I really have to touch it, see the texture of it, that's the most important thing. Tees and accessories I would buy online, but I would never buy pants, skirts or dresses online. I've done it before though and I always had to send the stuff back.
As for skincare/makeup... I know it's sometimes a lot cheaper to buy online and I keep looking at some products online but I always end up buying it in a store and I'm happy to pay a few euros more to be able to go home after a shopping day with some bags ^_^.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->