Outfit look-alikes #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Bianca*

Reaction score
Outfit look-alikes #4
Moderator's note:
  • In order to improve site performance, long threads that are draining our loading time will be closed and we are going to be periodically starting new threads. This should help pages load faster.
  • Please remember that not everyone is on a fast connection, or has a large screen, and keep your picture sizes to 800 pixels or less in the largest dimension. This will also help with page load speed.
  • Please refrain from posting the same images as contained in the archived threads (e.g. in the old closed thread).
  • Posts should contain similarity between designers' collections (pictures of items from high street stores will be removed).
  • Please remember to stay on topic... All off topic discussion will be removed.
  • Please do not power post e.g. make empty posts with no info/questions/images - Empty posts cause threads to grow rapidly and is a nuisance to those who subscribe to many threads. Please take any private conversations to PMs or Profile Comments.
  • This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here
Thank you.

Dion Lee Fall 2012 vs. Alexander Wang Spring 2013

More Dion Lee Fall & Resort looks with Wang & Schwab
dpOrQ.jpg

oEAh7.jpg

pagesdigital

Last edited by a moderator:
Jean Paul Gaultier HC Fall 2011 vs Georges Chakra FW 2012
00570fullscreen.jpg
tumblr_m7791uufGx1royzwio1_500.jpg

(style.com/realmofthesenses.tumblr.com)

I have to ponder the question....WHY are we making comparisons between Catwalk and Highstreet Stores when that is the ENTIRE point of the Highstreet....

yes, Zara and Mango bare resemblance to many designers, however they have been doing that forever.

If we posted every single Highstreet rip-off in this thread we would be on "Outfit Look-alikes #178000" already....

^I have to agree with you there.

Blumarine Spring Summer 2013 vs Alexander Wang Spring Summer 2010

2012_09_21_16_42_38_blumarine_0339.jpg

*Nowfashion.com & Style.com

I have to ponder the question....WHY are we making comparisons between Catwalk and Highstreet Stores when that is the ENTIRE point of the Highstreet....

yes, Zara and Mango bare resemblance to many designers, however they have been doing that forever.

If we posted every single Highstreet rip-off in this thread we would be on "Outfit Look-alikes #178000" already....

I always find it funny when they're posted as well as some of the reactions that follow afterwards, like "*gasp* SHAMEFUL!!" or "Can't they sue for this?!" :P

I think it's presumptuous to imply that highstreet's "purpose" is to make designer knockoffs. There are plenty of fashion designers who aren't doing runway work, who make an anonymous living designing for the general mass and not socialites/celebrities. And while their designs may not evoke as much passion, they don't use the most exotic materials or they're not as high art, those designers do put time and energy into their own designs to try to make something commercially appealing, and not necessarily because they were inspired by a runway look. So when a post compares a high fashion garment to a high street garment, I think it's an egregious example that's worth noting. You wouldn't have a thread #135454 because of it simply because most highstreet garments aren't knockoffs - stores will still make sundresses or mini skirts simply because those items sell, whether or not they're the next trend on this season's runway. And it has been shown in this thread that the inverse happens, where a runway look resembles a catalogue piece. I don't see anybody complaining when that happens. :rolleyes:

Moschino Spring Summer 2013 / Balenciaga Fall Winter 2006/07 / Hubert de Givenchy for Audrey Hepburn 1966.

*Vogue.fr, Pret-a-reporter.com & Stylebistro.com

Roksanda Ilincic SS12 RTW / Gucci SS13 RTW

(style.com/nowfashion.com)

Attachments

• 00130m.jpg
    00130m.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 2012_09_19_13_21_39_gucci_6568.jpg
    2012_09_19_13_21_39_gucci_6568.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 7
Elie Saab Fall 2003 HC Vs. Versace Spring 2013
68148fw2003ctreliesaab0_zpsd61d3cb0.jpg
VER_06751366x2048_zps7899bf46.jpg

bellazon.com, style.com (resized)

That Versace dress looks so cheap and banal compared to the Elie Saab.

^I know the Elie Saab comes with couture-level craftsmanship, but tbh, I think it's pretty much on the same level as the Versace in terms of appearance.

Moschino Spring Summer 2013 / Balenciaga Fall Winter 2006/07 / Hubert de Givenchy for Audrey Hepburn 1966.
This is really good!

I think it's presumptuous to imply that highstreet's "purpose" is to make designer knockoffs. There are plenty of fashion designers who aren't doing runway work, who make an anonymous living designing for the general mass and not socialites/celebrities. And while their designs may not evoke as much passion, they don't use the most exotic materials or they're not as high art, those designers do put time and energy into their own designs to try to make something commercially appealing, and not necessarily because they were inspired by a runway look. So when a post compares a high fashion garment to a high street garment, I think it's an egregious example that's worth noting. You wouldn't have a thread #135454 because of it simply because most highstreet garments aren't knockoffs - stores will still make sundresses or mini skirts simply because those items sell, whether or not they're the next trend on this season's runway. And it has been shown in this thread that the inverse happens, where a runway look resembles a catalogue piece. I don't see anybody complaining when that happens. :rolleyes:
But you're really talking apples and oranges in terms of differentiating between non-runway designers who just make clothes and high-street chains whose goal is to make clothes that are at least in some way inspired by what is on the runway in a given season. I mean Topshop, Zara, H&M...that's what they do, that's their goal, so to compare a Zara jacket to the Balmain jacket that was clearly it's inspiration is sort of a "duh" moment.

Well, I get the impression that designers love it when high street chains take a piece from their collection and knock it off because it shows their influence in the business. The people that are going to buy it were never going to buy the original and the ones that can will buy the original. There's no harm, no foul, I think.

aquilano / rimondi ss12 - miu miu ss08
Gk4gK.jpg
00060m.jpg

style.com / nowfashion.com
the whole collection echoed that miu miu one. they even used very similiar prints and shapes in almost all of the outfits

^My thoughts exactly! It screamed Miu Miu.

Balenciaga F/W 2010 vs Rodarte S/S 2013
balenciaga-fall-2010-shoes.jpg

Rodarte-Spring-2013-shoes.jpg

shoerazzi, trendology.org

Dolce & Gabbana | Spring Summer 2013

potatoe-sack-dress.jpg
15cc1dv.jpg
6a00d83451595d69e20120a7fd915d970b-pi.jpg

thefashionpolice.net / Nowfashion.com / secondcitystyle.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread