Overstyling

Alura

Reaction score
It's not a real trend, rather a phenomenon but I think overstyling is hotter than ever. I see a lot of girls and guys that are taking fashion a bit too serious and went accesorry mad, leaving nothing in their closet so to speak. What do you think? A person that often crosses the line is Paris Hilton IMHO. Fur boots AND a hat AND a big band AND a lot of bracelets AND sunglasses etc etc. You get the idea.

Yes, I see people do this all the time. Funny thing is, some people can get away with it. They either have a superdeveloped sense of style or can just make being "over the top" work. But for most, it's an amateur mistake, and looks silly.

Me thinks overstyling=hobo. :mrgreen: Why don't they just carry their closet on a van? :lol:

tangerine said:
Yes, I see people do this all the time. Funny thing is, some people can get away with it. They either have a superdeveloped sense of style or can just make being "over the top" work. But for most, it's an amateur mistake, and looks silly.
Agreed.:flower:

I think for the right person, they can look amazing. I wish I could pull off 20 bracelets, 5 necklaces, a hat, 4 shirts, skirts, pants, and a dress...oh and add a blazer too for when I get cold and socks and shoes. My friend actually dresses like this and she looks awesome. Everyone thinks she's a tourist because she pulls it off so well that people think she must be from another country since her style is so diverse, yet, looks so good! I think Paris Hilton is the epitome of a trend sheep so using her as an example isn't valid since she dresses gross overstyled or not.

Overstyling is... acceptable... beyond the trend radius and within the margin of the two extremes of maddening matching and dizzying clashing...

jennifer~ said:
Overstyling is... acceptable... beyond the trend radius and within the margin of the two extremes of maddening matching and dizzying clashing...
You've said it all... ^_^

i remember hearing a great style icon (i think it was babe paley)...
say that she would look in the mirror and before leaving the house ...
take one thing off... i like this general rule...

less is often more...

LOL...did you just make that up?...^^

some people have the ability to put a lot of things together and look amazing
and some just look rediculous.

i actually find that stylists and fashion 'gurus' are the victims of this.

When it comes to 'overstyling' I prefer what other may call 'eccentric', but I don't want to label that as overstyling but as a 'style' by itself. Anna Piaggi created her own style, it's just over the top and flamboyant.
What I meant by overstyling are the 'popstars' you see on Nickelodeon/Popstars/Idol etc. The sunglasses that are stuck anywhere, the huge amounts of bracelets, Uggs, hats, you get the idea. As if they are scared not to be trendy. The 'everything matches' people scare me as well haha.

Yes, I CAN'T stand the "everything matches" people either! It's so tacky and uncreative. Those people have no sense of color families or coexisting patterns or juxtaposing materials. They think they have style because they bought a pink trucker hat to match their pink Uggs and a pink belt. UGHHH. Or that certain rap trend where they have a certain logo pattern made into everything! Ex. Burberry jacket, burberry pants, burberry hat, burberry belt, burberry shoes....::CRINGE::

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fabs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->