Overstyling

softgrey said:
i remember hearing a great style icon (i think it was babe paley)...
say that she would look in the mirror and before leaving the house ...
take one thing off... i like this general rule...

less is often more...

If I followed this rule, I would often be going out topless.

Em

softgrey said:
i remember hearing a great style icon (i think it was babe paley)...
say that she would look in the mirror and before leaving the house ...
take one thing off... i like this general rule...

less is often more...

I believe that it was actually Coco Chanel softgrey

I think it definetly has too do with the 'confidence' a person has going on with their overstyled outfit. If you don't feel it then the world won't feel it but if you wear it with an I-don't-care-attitude (even if it looks like crap..) then it can look good! I think you can better choose Mary-Kate Olsen as a person who overstyles.

Depends of the person's taste, some people can do great overstyling, but doesn't the word OVERstyling implies that there's just too much? In that case I am not too fond on that look. Bad taste doesn't help much too.

An example of bad overstyling is at the Christian Dior S/S 2005 show were TOO much was going on:

00220f.jpg
00270f.jpg

00360f.jpg

Although I love overstyling of this genre on Japanese/Harajuku Girls.

Oh wow, I love that last Dior outfit. I would wear that in a heartbeat. I guess I'm with the part of the percentage that thinks LESS IS A BORE. :smile:

I think that overstyling can really work but often times it ends up looking ridiculous. You have to tie things together without being "matchy" Not an easy thing for most people to do.

sassandviolet said:
Yes, I CAN'T stand the "everything matches" people either! It's so tacky and uncreative. Those people have no sense of color families or coexisting patterns or juxtaposing materials. They think they have style because they bought a pink trucker hat to match their pink Uggs and a pink belt. UGHHH. Or that certain rap trend where they have a certain logo pattern made into everything! Ex. Burberry jacket, burberry pants, burberry hat, burberry belt, burberry shoes....::CRINGE::

i had a friend that wont wear more than like 3 colors ...nudd said. lol. i actually try to add something that doesn't match, yet coordinate to my outfit b4 leaving the house b/c if i match too well, i feel like my outfit is waaay too contrived. remember....its not about matching, its about coordinating. words to live by.

...MK Olsen are perfect role models to this methinks...

I think this is really influenced by the Japanese street style trend that began a few years back and is just starting to hit US shores. Its gonna get worse before it gets better guys.

hailtothethief said:
i actually try to add something that doesn't match, yet coordinate to my outfit b4 leaving the house b/c if i match too well, i feel like my outfit is waaay too contrived. remember....its not about matching, its about coordinating. words to live by.

Me too! I always try to add a print somewhere if my outfit is mainly solids, or vice versa! Same with materials, if I'm wearing something woodsy, I will mix in a hemp totebag or something. Anyways, not matching but coordinating! That's beautiful. My new motto. :flower:

Kimkhuu said:
Depends of the person's taste, some people can do great overstyling, but doesn't the word OVERstyling implies that there's just too much? In that case I am not too fond on that look. Bad taste doesn't help much too.

An example of bad overstyling is at the Christian Dior S/S 2005 show were TOO much was going on:

00220f.jpg
00270f.jpg

00360f.jpg

I actually like the colors:P

I think some people can pull overstyling off..of course its much better than when people TRY to but end up totally mismatching:sick:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinnybackstage
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->