Pantene bad for your hair?

Reaction score
Hi, I recently read this (http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/46810527.html?thread=7752567967#t7752567967) where people talked about how Pantene is really bad for your hair b/c it coats your hair w/ wax to make it seem soft and shiny instead of actually making it healthy. :cry: I've never heard of that before! Anyone know if this is true for all of its products? What about for its newer products from its Medium-Thick Hair Solutions collection? B/c I just bought this 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner from that line and would like to know what people's experiences w/ that are; would greatly appreciate any feedback!

medthick_2in1_frizzytosmooth-12oz.png

Source: Pantene.com

bascially any shampoo/conditioner that you buy from a supermarket is bad for your hair. they all contain products to make your hair 'shiny' and 'healthy', but is actually is destroying your hair, because it is adding no nuitrients.
best to buy shampoo/conditioner at at salon, because you do not see your hairdresser using pantene! the products at the salon are more expensive but they are sooo much better!!! :flower:

Yeah, Ive used Pantene before and it left my hair greasy and it didnt seem to clean it at all. My mom had the same results but it is probably bc we both have oily hair and it wasnt the right kind for us. I have friends though, that swear by that shampoo and actually had this conversation with one and her hair was really dry, therefore it gave hers shine and loved it. I guess you should find what works best for your hair type.

Hi, I recently read this (http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/46810527.html?thread=7752567967#t7752567967) where people talked about how Pantene is really bad for your hair b/c it coats your hair w/ wax to make it seem soft and shiny instead of actually making it healthy. :cry: I've never heard of that before! Anyone know if this is true for all of its products?
I've heard that before. It has to do with the ingredient called Panthenol (I believe that's where the Pantene brand gets its name from).

This is from the wikipedia article on panthenol: In cosmetics, panthenol is a humectant, emollient and moisturizer. It binds to the hair shaft readily and is a frequent component of shampoos and hair conditioners (in concentrations of 0.1-1%). It coats the hair and seals its surface, lubricating the hair shaft and making strands appear shiny.

Hmm...interesting thread. Ive been using Pantene for a while, and though it worked wonderfully at first, I notice my hair becoming less soft after a few months. Kind of tangly and dry and waxy. I think it may be buildup, can't be sure.

In any case, it is true that most mainstream shampoos are laden w/chemicals which are terrible for us and the environment in the long run. I only bought Pantene because I was tired of natural shampoos which didn't lather in our super-hard water, and this one sure did, which is worrisome in itself...won't repurchase.

Yes. It always confuses me when it's voted No1 best shampoo in magazines like Cosmo and Glamour. L.A.Woman85 is spot on.

I've used it on and off for a few years now - the first time I used it on my hair was fantastic - super smooth and sleek. A few weeks later though, my hair was greasy and sort of dry - weird combination I know (maybe it was the summer months that did it).
I don't think it works for my hair but I still use it when it's sitting on the bathroom shelf...convenience :D

Yeah pantene is awful, it basically waxes your hair shaft down so it looks smooth and conditioned but it actually keeps the nutrients and moisture from being absorbed so eventually your hair becomes very dry and brittle.
I also heard a stylist say that it makes your hair shed more than it should (probably because it damages it)
I had long hair and was using pantene and it eventually damaged my hair so bad that I had to chop it all off into a bob :(

my friends a hair dresser and she absolutely loathes pantene.

she doesnt use salon shampoo/conditioner, and her hair is really soft and healthy.
so there are shampoos/conditioner out there that you dont have to spend 30$ or more on :flower:

besides, it depends on your hair when it comes to salon shampoos/conditioners.
whenever i get my hair done and she uses the stuff there, by the next day my hair is greasy :ermm:

i use head and shoulders (not for dandruff) because its the only shampoo that makes my hair soft and shiny without damaging it, and i noticed when i was sick before and literally couldnt get out of bed for a week that my hair wasnt beginning to get greasy til almost day 4.
my friend loves my hair, and so do the others at the salon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking from personal experience, Pantene made my hair feel very greasy and it made me lose hair... :/
I think it would be more beneficial just to invest in a slightly more expensive product... try a shampoo/conditioner that doesn't have alcohol. That, along with the other chemicals in it, is going to dry out your hair and damage it in the long run.

Yes I heard that about Pantene a while ago and heard it was similar for Garnier Fructis, but I also heard that Treseme is not so bad.

I use Pantene and it works amazingly for me. I don't have very much hair and it's quite thin, so Pantene does a great job of giving it some volume. It also makes my hair feel nice and soft. I guess it depends on the hair type.

Hi, I recently read this (http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/46810527.html?thread=7752567967#t7752567967) where people talked about how Pantene is really bad for your hair b/c it coats your hair w/ wax to make it seem soft and shiny instead of actually making it healthy. :cry: I've never heard of that before! Anyone know if this is true for all of its products? What about for its newer products from its Medium-Thick Hair Solutions collection? B/c I just bought this 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner from that line and would like to know what people's experiences w/ that are; would greatly appreciate any feedback!

this is just a myth.

I can find the ingredients for the Medium-Thick Hair Solutions 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner but here is the ingredients list for th conditioner only
conditioner ingredients:

Water,
Stearyl Alcohol - naturally derived vegetable fatty acids; emollient and emulsifier
Behentrimonium Methosulfate - naturally dervived from colza oil; emulsifier, detangles hair
Cetyl Alcohol - naturally derived from Palm oil or coconut oil; emollient, emulsifier or thickening agent, prevents moisture loss
Bis Aminopropyl Dimethicone - derived from silicon; conditioner, prevents build up, protects hair from heat damage
Fragrance
Benzyl Alcohol - naturally derived from fruits, plants; solvent, preservative, fragrance
Dicetyldimonium Chloride - surfactant conditioning agent
Isopropyl Alcohol - synthetic; solvent, hydrates.
Disodium EDTA - chelating agent, softens water
Panthenol alcohol form of pantothenic acid (a.k.a. vitamin B5); humectant, emollient and moisturiser.
Panthenyl Ethyl Ether - moisturizing agent, provitamin, solvent
Methylchloroisothiazolinone - preservative, antibacterial and antifungal - Although its a known skin irritant in its pure form or in high concentration. it is completely safe to use for short duration skin contact.
Methylisothiazolinone - biocide and preservative - debate over its safety although generally believed to be safe to use for short duration skin contact.

none of the ingredients will make your "hair fall out". Most "normal" peopel loose 100 hairs a day (which are replaced) and washing your hair speeds up this process.
Panathenol coats hair making it shiny but it will wash out with the next shampoo (assuming that the shampoo doesnt contain panathenol as well :P)

I also heard a stylist say that it makes your hair shed more than it should (probably because it damages it)
Hair dressers are good at cutting hair but most of them aren't particularly good at understanding the chemical lists on the back of a bottle of shampoo
the reason hairstylists may have find pantene problematic is because panathenal can prevent dye/colour from taking.

bascially any shampoo/conditioner that you buy from a supermarket is bad for your hair. they all contain products to make your hair 'shiny' and 'healthy', but is actually is destroying your hair, because it is adding no nuitrients.
best to buy shampoo/conditioner at at salon, because you do not see your hairdresser using pantene! the products at the salon are more expensive but they are sooo much better!!! :flower:

again, not true.
Salon products contain the same ingredients as cheaper brands.

Actually is a brand that never worked for my hair but got me some kind of allergy thingy:doh:

I bought Schwarzkopf Bonacure shampoo and conditioner because it was recommended to me by my local hairdresser. I've been using it for two weeks now and I actually notice a slight improvement in the state of my hair. My hair is still nice the day after I washed it, and when I used pantene I had to wash it every day (not because it was already greasy but because I didn't like the feel of my hair the next day).
My ends are still very dry but I guess they just need to be trimmed.
I'm going to use these products up and then try out some other salon brands. Anyone good experiences with redken?

On a side note: the worst shampoo ever for me was Herbal Essences. This made my hair not shiny or soft at all, but very rough.:cry:

^agree with you about Herbal Essences being the worst shampoo I used. It made my hair so dry I lopped off 6 inches, what annoyed though was my sister used it as well her hair was fine. Hair differences though are that her hair is thin and ringlets and mine is thick and wavyish...:rolleyes:

And mine is thin (but I have a lot!) and wavyish :wink:. Hair is such a strange thing :lol:, it's so unique. You really have to go with trial and error...
A friend of mine always uses herbal essences, and his hair is always sooo soft :blink:.

laisla, we're talking about shampoo and you listed the content of the CONDITIONER.

of COURSE the conditioner is full with CONDITIONING ingredients.

the issue with Pantene is that they still use Ammonium Sulfate, which is WAY harsher than the Sodium Sulfate used in other shampoos (even those Sodium is still not the answer to all hair questions...).

what Pantene basically does is that the Ammonium dries out your hair, doesn't replenish ANY nutrients just simply covers up the hair with silicones to make it shiny and soft. after a while, your hair will have build-up and it'll be basically empty inside, making it break off.

That's interesting, because: before using Pantene, I had a problem with the lack of strength in my hair and the fact that it looked unhealthy. Now I use Pantene and I don't have such a problem anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
user91036
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->