Parade Magazine March 4 2007: Scarlett Johansson by Andrew Eccles

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Image & Story Source: Parade.com

Contributing Editor James Kaplan talks in depth with gifted young actress Scarlett Johansson.

On avoiding the paparazzi…

“There’s plenty of restaurants and neighborhoods that I just try to avoid. It sucks—especially in New York, because you want to feel like you can walk around anywhere. But it’s okay. I think it’s an adjustment. It’s horrible that you have to make the adjustment, but being as I can’t change the state of where we are now, and I’m sure it will never change, you just have to make the adjustment. What’s the alternative? I don’t want to move to the middle of nowhere. I’m a city kid.”

On being a highly responsible person…
“I’m very responsible when I’m working. I’ve just been doing it for a long time, and I’m not the kind of person who is going to show up to work three hours late, or maybe not come at all. That’s just not who I am. That just has to do with the fact that I understand that everybody else comes to work, and we would all like to get an extra four hours of sleep, but what can you do?”...“But [outside of work] I don’t really have any responsibility right now. It’s not like I have kids. I’m not raising a younger sibling. I’m not supporting anybody financially. But at the same time, I can take care of myself. My mother may disagree. Of course, moms always do: [imitates her mother] “My baby, you’re just a child....”

On looking like a boy...
“I don’t think my features are entirely feminine. Yes, I have full lips and obviously I have no facial hair. But...take somebody like Penelope Cruz. She’s so feminine. Think about it. She has, like, long eyelashes, and to me she just looks very feminine. When I wake up in the morning and I have no makeup on, like right now, I think I look like a young boy.”

And she’s funny, too…
To try to get all the details right, James Kaplan asked Johansson to tell him the provenance of everything she was wearing. And she did—shoes, Alaia; T-shirt, Balenciaga; wristwatch, Chanel.... Then she looked at Kaplan very cheekily and said, “And what are you wearing?”

Even better, she eats when she's hungry!
At the PARADE photo shoot, there was a table full of goodies to eat. According to Kaplan, Johansson was not at all neurotic about the food. “She was hungry, so she ate some coffee cake. And then complained that it didn't have enough butter in it!”

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/Photographer Andrew Eccles’ afternoon with the “down to earth” and “extraordinarily beautiful” Scarlett Johansson…

Have you ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes at a magazine photo shoot? We got
the lowdown on PARADE’s shoot with the gorgeous Scarlett Johansson from veteran photographer Andrew Eccles:

Where was the photo shoot?
Quixote Studios in West Hollywood, Calif.

What time was the shoot scheduled to start?
Johansson arrived at around 10a.m. to sit for an interview with PARADE Contributing Editor James Kaplan for 90 minutes. Afterwards, she went into hair and make-up at 11:30a.m. and was on the set and ready to be photographed at 2p.m.

How long did the shoot last?
Approximately two and a half hours.

What was she wearing when she arrived for the photo shoot?
Jeans and a T-shirt.

What kind of food was served at the photo shoot?
Breakfast burritos, sliced fruit, granola and yogurt in the morning. For lunch: filet mignon, swordfish, potatoes au gratin and salad.

What type of music was playing during the shoot?
A playlist from Eccles’ iPod—everything from Alanis Morrisette to Zero 7—played throughout the shoot.

Did anyone accompany Johansson to the shoot?
She came to the photo shoot with her publicist in tow.

Photographer Andrew Eccles on Johansson:
“We talked about photo shoots in general, other photographers that she has worked with, and about how I was going to take the butterflies and flowers from the shoot home with me to make my four-year-old daughter’s room ‘fancy.’I also told her that in 20 years of photography, few subjects have ever given me such a beautifully broad range of expressions from frame to frame. When we were finished, she thanked and said goodbye to every member of the crew. Scarlett is just as down to earth as she is extraordinarily beautiful.”

the following are more interview highlights from usmagazine.com/parade

On her work ethic:
"I've worked so hard since I was eight years old. Not HARD, like I have a hard job, but I've really worked."

On being called sexy:
"It's a nice compliment, I guess. It's funny, because for a male actor the idea of being sexy can be very daunting. A lot of young male actors want to be chameleons and play all different kinds of characters. For a woman, I think it's always a compliment to have people think you're attractive."

On the culture of mean:
"I think people today are very cynical. They need to bring other people down."

On celebrity culture:
"Reality television and tabloid magazines - never before did we need to see movie stars taking out their garbage. But all of the sudden, it's front page news -- trying to figure out who's dating whom, all that stuff. Who cares? There are so many other things, shocking news stories that we should be paying attention to."

On her idol:
"I absolutely love Marilyn Monroe. Not only was she this incredibly gorgeous creature, but she had a real fragility about her work that is so touching. I think that's why she was underappreciated as a really talented actor."

On being strong:
"I'm not a 'poor me' kind of person. Certain cards were dealt to me, and I had to be strong. My parents divorced when I was 13. The actual separation wasn't hard, but things that come with divorce are difficult. But those things mold you to be the person that you are. I've always been very determined, ever since I was a little girl, to make my way."

On partying under the radar:
"Of course, I go out with my friends a lot, and we always have a good time. I'm 22, and we dance and have fun. I don't feel paranoid about that. But I just lay low. Sometimes you get caught, and there's nothing you can do about it."

Attachments

• parade1.jpg
    parade1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 9
  • parade2.jpg
    parade2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 11
  • parade3.jpg
    parade3.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 5
  • parade4.jpg
    parade4.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 6
  • parade5.jpg
    parade5.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 5
  • parade6.jpg
    parade6.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 8
Hah, I thought I found something before others.. Plaah. But I really, really like those pics. Maybe because they are not that same than usually.. Love those.

Cute pictures, but a little tacky maybe... but I love the article! Scarlett seems so real and fun, like someone you can really kick back and hang out with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ross640
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->