Vogue Paris April 2009 : Scarlett Johansson by Mario Sorrenti

AlaïaTown is today four autartik buildings, like a block, or a family near the Paris' City Hall. He doesn't during the official Paris FW, but he does every day for his customers and buyers. How to get into the Alaia Family ? One should need a certain knowledge, a certain presence, a love for fashion, one should have a certain sense of humour and story-telling. One of his female co-workers tells how she escaped death in a wardrobe [...]
One should also need persistence ... One of his rich customer once requested him to give an internship to her daughter. He balked but said yes "She probably never wakes-up before 1pm. So I asked her to be there at 9.30am, her driver dropped her at 9.30, I gave her a brush, she sweeped the floor ..." She is now working at the press offices. Being hired is being part of the family.
Though he has no 'real' children, Alaïa is named "daddy" by a few ex-co-workers "Naomi Campbell, Veronica Webb and S.Seymour named me daddy. Naomi was 14 when I wanted her to do catwalks for me. Her mother didn't want to leave her alone in an hotel. Veronica Webb's children named me Papa Didine." Alaïa is the father of a big family, now. "I humanely and technically supervise when we hire someone. We have all nationalities here. Laos, Israel, Africa, England, Japan, Turkey, America, France. I do quickly adopt." Then, Alaïa's Family is made of weird (nick)names. "When I can't remember someone's name, I give them nickname like pudding, pin-up, corpse [...]" One who is working at Alaïa Hotel is named gossipy/talkative (Faye Dunaway names him ... sorry it's too frenchy pun for me to translate ... glitssipy ?).[...] "But I do promise, none of my customers have nicknames"

I wanted to translate the first part ... I did the best I could ... But sincerely it's not that interesting ... and at the end full of french pun ...

This article on Alaia seems wonderful. I don't know if anyone would be interested in translating it for us Alaia fans :blush:

I can translate it after I'm done packing to go home, if no one does it before me :flower:

Scarlett's ed is the definitely the best part of the issue. Lily's ed is also pretty funny, but the rest is a bit disappointing for me.

wow! i love the picture of alber elbaz with his boyfriend!!! :o
i'm such a busybody...

I love the new fonts they used for the eds.

Will they go back to using the original fonts? :unsure:

*edited - no unsolicited scan requests please *

Last edited by a moderator:
another amazing issue, hope i find this tomorrow, and omg Lily's ed is hilarious :wub:and yet kind of creepy

what a wonderful issue :blush: i guess i love every single feature in it.

Lara by Terry is the best thing about this issue.

And Lily's editorial is hilarious - props to Carine, as always.

:smile:

^It's two pages Lara being Lara in front of a white background. I don't see anything special in this anymore to be honest.

I actually think all the editorials are just okay and nothing groundbreaking. Next month please.

I'd also like to know it... Actually I prefered the previous one, it's so classy and so Vogue Paris :heart:

i'm so agree with you, it's seem now they are playing with new toys. for me vogue paris fonts is their old typical fonts when baron still creative director :(

^i must say i don't know what happened with the fonts for this issue ...
but all of them (talking about fashion editorials, here - right ?) are actually inspired by the theme of the editorial they title ...
well especially Noces de diamants inspired by Basquiat, No Smoking (written with a chalk - regarding the age and behaviour of the mother ... a critique of the child-teen-mothers, certainly) etc.

I don't know what will happen for the next issue, though ...
I think it's nice ... it adds a coherence to the fashion editorial in its uniqness (autonomy of the fashion story), but takes away some coherence into the whole magazine ... adding a certain mess ? ... idk

I think it's nice ... it adds a coherence to the fashion editorial in its uniqness (autonomy of the fashion story), but takes away some coherence into the whole magazine ... adding a certain mess ? ... idk

Johan Svensson has retained Fabien Baron's aesthetic for a long time... perhaps the VP team decided that now is the time for him to make his own mark on the magazine.

Last edited by a moderator:

I know I prefer a strong coherence throughout a magazine, and I missed that in this issue. The playfulness of the experiment didn't detract anything from the editorials, but overall, I felt the issue lacked strength because there wasn't a sense of consistency.

But there must be space for experimentation, so I am interested to see what comes next.

Carine outdid herself yet once again! What a dreadful issue: horrible cover, terrible eds, could there possibly be anything worse? Yet, huge thanks to all those who contributed to the scanning of this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->