Paul Harnden Shoemaker and more...

tanks runner - this looks like a departure from the norm for Mr Harnden

I had a chance recently to check out some stuff from this season's collection in person. Coincidentally, not long after Runner added pics on this thread, a store near me began stocking Paul Harnden. So, it got me interested.

I saw and tried on the white unstructured jacket/blazer , some shirts, and several pairs of shoes. I think it is really important to see them up close to appreciate them, the way they are put together is really interesting and the quality is quite exquisite.

BUT... at least in Japan, with shoes from 125,000-140,000 yen (USD $1100-1300) and the jacket was 160,000 yen ($1500)... I can't say I bought anything. While I like the aesthetic... when I tried the stuff on and looked at myself in the mirror... I couldn't help remarking that I looked something like a Victorian age factory worker or chimney sweep. I simply needed to smear some grease or coal-dust on my face to complete the look.

All in all, with prices that high, the whole aesthetic seems to me a little too reminiscent of Marie Antoinette having "fun" dressing up like the villagers around Versailles. In other words, I don't really want to dress up that much to dress down... if that makes any sense.

I think for some people the look (also with Linea and LUC) works really well and they can look GREAT in it... but for me... I just couldn't pull it off. I didn't look "fashion forward" in it... I just looked like a chimney sweep.

But, I would definitely recommend seeing the stuff in person, if you have the chance. The "feel" of the fabrics and the construction of the shoes is really nice.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
rach2jlc said:
I had a chance recently to check out some stuff from this season's collection in person. Coincidentally, not long after Runner added pics on this thread, a store near me began stocking Paul Harnden. So, it got me interested.

I saw and tried on the white unstructured jacket/blazer , some shirts, and several pairs of shoes. I think it is really important to see them up close to appreciate them, the way they are put together is really interesting and the quality is quite exquisite.

BUT... at least in Japan, with shoes from 125,000-140,000 yen (USD $1100-1300) and the jacket was 160,000 yen ($1500)... I can't say I bought anything. While I like the aesthetic... when I tried the stuff on and looked at myself in the mirror... I couldn't help remarking that I looked something like a Victorian age factory worker or chimney sweep. I simply needed to smear some grease or coal-dust on my face to complete the look.

All in all, with prices that high, the whole aesthetic seems to me a little too reminiscent of Marie Antoinette having "fun" dressing up like the villagers around Versailles. In other words, I don't really want to dress up that much to dress down... if that makes any sense.

I think for some people the look (also with Linea and LUC) works really well and they can look GREAT in it... but for me... I just couldn't pull it off. I didn't look "fashion forward" in it... I just looked like a chimney sweep.

But, I would definitely recommend seeing the stuff in person, if you have the chance. The "feel" of the fabrics and the construction of the shoes is really nice.

John

That's EXACTLY how I feel about it. And if you ever get to see Paul himself, a dickensian chimney sweep is exactly what he looks like. I think you hit the nail on the head with the "fashion forward" comment, which i think is very honest. People don't really buy these clothes ONLY for the quality - they do want to look fashion forward. The problem is that the clothes are so bogged down with referencing and detail and construction and quality that sometimes the design itself is rather left behind. In my experience everyone who I've seen wearing this stuff head to toe does look like they've stepped out of the set of a costume drama (albeit one without a good ironing facility!). I think Carpe Diem is slightly different in that it has a more contemporary outlook, but Harnded is certainly like that.

I'm glad that you agree, Johnny. It makes me feel a little better for not buying $1300 house-painter's shoes... :D

John

hmmm... wonder what makes him tick... hence his aesthetics? i like them nonetheless.

paul harnden

Does anyone know where I can find more information on 'paul harnden shoemaker', possibly a link to an official website or something of tat ilk...thanks...

you can find out about him right here, if you do a search.

faust said:
you can find out about him right here, if you do a search.

haha...yes...lazy me...must use that dang search field more often...thanks

^^ these first two are lovely. love the cardigan with the dark green trim. thanks surver

I've just been in pollyanna speaking to their buyer about this guy...I'd never heard of him, but now I see why he spoke so highly of him, this is such amazing stuff...:-O!!!

jhaime said:
I've just been in pollyanna speaking to their buyer about this guy...I'd never heard of him, but now I see why he spoke so highly of him, this is such amazing stuff...:-O!!!

jhaime, did they have any harnden stuff in - are they stocking it this season?

No, they don't have him in, but by the way he was speaking so highly of him, it looks as though they could do in the near future.

They only have 2 pairs of Carpe Diem shoes left if you're interested...

I'm looking for the flat lace up oxford square/round toe Paul did in the painted white leather for women . Does anyone know of a store that has it in????

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myegotakesover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->