Perms

Jaim45

Reaction score
I feel that curly hair and even perms are gonna make a comeback... Even if I'm wrong, i was thinking about getting a perm of some sort. I would like to have a spiral until I found out that a spiral is basically the same thing as a regular perm. I'm looking for pipe curls. My hairdresser is ordering special rollers for this process. Has anyone heard of this? If so, what are the rollers called or even look like?

I've read several articles about the 'new' perms. Basically it's a perm but it creates the looser curls that are more instyle now. Not the overly tight ringlets.

i have tight curls that are sometimes tighter and sometimes looser, and ALWAYS FRIZZY. so a month ago i got a straightening perm....not the harsh Japanese kind but just a normal perm. now, my curls are loose, soft waves and they're so EASY and beautiful and EASY. best decision ever

I've practically tried both types of perm, the HARSH straight japanese kind and then the curling perm. The harsh straight perm held for a long time, but it looked like yuck when the frizzy roots would start to come in. Later on, I changed from straight to wavy/curly perming. This worked for my hair for a while, till it left my hair damaged and frizzy by the end of 3 months.

and thats when I chopped my hair off.

I came back to school to see ALOT of people in my class sporting wavy/curly look with permed hair. I don't know about other places, but a whole bunch of people are getting theyre hair permed in my area.

I haven't heard of this new perming process, but if you decide to get a perm I hope you like it! I'm interested in how it will turn out! :smile:

Oh wow I got my hair permed when I was like in 7th or 6th grade and it really did take my hair FOREVER to recover it was awful! It just turned in to a frizz ball after a couple of months

I posted about this a while ago too! I also wanted pipe like curls. Definately tell us how it turns out!

As far as everyone saying how damaged their hair became...it all depends on the hair products you use after the process. I bleach my hair, get a defrizzing perm every few months, blow dry my hair everyday, and use a straighteninng/curling iron everyday and my hair is super healthy. I think its because I use good conditioner and make sure to use plenty of it.

Good luck :flower:

They have been saying perms were coming back for years now...I work for a professional haircare co. and it doesn't look like it any time soon....

but keep in mind it is not the 1980's perms that are coming back....that weird frizzy stuff....It's about the soft and pretty.

they're definitively a trend in here.
One BIG sign was Ely Guerra's hair (famous mexican singer) on the MTV Latinamerica Awards
You can see it
B0BF0120_thm.jpg

i get spiral perms and my hair looks great..i get a lot of complements and it doesnt damage my hair at all (i've gotten about 5 perms altogeher) :-)! it took 4 hours for 2 girls to do my hair (black girls do the best job with perms) but was well worth it!! but some people just don't look good w/ curly hair..but the good thing is that if u don't like it you can go home and immeditaly wash your hair and the curl in the perm will fall. if you don't want over done curls there is a body wave perm that is also very popular and it just gives you waves like mary-kate and ashley olsen have. i have this beauty secrets book and it has like a million different perms..so i'll post some..this might get long..lol...

weave perm- waves only part of the hair to provide fullness and curves rather than curls,ur stylist needs to be skilled because it is a hard perm to do!

( note- the smaller the rod size the tighter the curl)

acid perm- a perm wave product with a pH around 6.5 to8.0. acid waves are milder products, producing soft,loose natural-looking curls

alkaline perm- a perm with a pH around 7.5 to 9.5. alkaline perms a stronger products, producing firm,crisp, springy curls

spot perm- a perm wave given on selected sections of the hair instead of the entire head

I've contemplated getting a perm... I have naturally very straight hair...stick-straight... so I thought that it'd be a good idea. But, I figured it's probably easier to get curls while having straight hair than trying to get straight hair if my hair is curly. Does that make sense?

I favor the loose, natural-curls over the ringlets of the early 90's... the softer look is so much more contemporary and sexy

"Perms"

I am thinking about getting a Perm or "Permanent Wave" as I like to call it (doesn't sound so old womanish). What do you think? Ive heard so many disaster stories.
I have short very blonde hair that is very straight but I would get it wavy or 'ocean curls'. Sort of like Carrie Bradshaw. I would post pics but I still dont know how - if you have any pics of short wavy bobs I need something for the hairdresser! Thanks a bunch :smile:

ele said:
I am thinking about getting a Perm or "Permanent Wave" as I like to call it (doesn't sound so old womanish). What do you think? Ive heard so many disaster stories.
I have short very blonde hair that is very straight but I would get it wavy or 'ocean curls'. Sort of like Carrie Bradshaw. I would post pics but I still dont know how - if you have any pics of short wavy bobs I need something for the hairdresser! Thanks a bunch :smile:

Honestly, when I think perm, I think 80's and Jersey Shore. I don't think I've ever seen a perm that I like. With that said, it's your hair! And if you want a perm, rock that perm like its no one's business :P

I'm not sure if you're old enough to remember the tragedy that was the 80's perm. Here's a refresher:

michellemob7.jpg

More Really Bad Hair

Last edited by a moderator:
I've abused my hair with perming it in waves... It wasn't so horrendous at first, I had nice waves till it wore out and became all frizzy at the ends. Thats when I realized that I desperately needed to cut my hair and start over again.
Personally I think it really depends on your hair. I know some girls that can perm their hair and look great without having any problem with frizz like I did. I wouldn't recommend it if you have really thick hair thats prone to frizz though. but if you don't I say go for it! :D

When anyone hears Perm they think of the 80s or an old lady stuck in the 80s..but i am seriuosly considering it i just dont want my hair to turn a boof as posted by hipkitten. Here is similar to what I hope my hair would end up like

Attachments

• carrie hair 2.bmp
    213.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:
ele said:
When anyone hears Perm they think of the 80s or an old lady stuck in the 80s..but i am seriuosly considering it i just dont want my hair to turn a boof as posted by hipkitten. Here is similar to what I hope my hair would end up like

That's all well and good, and I doubt anyone gets a perm hoping it looks frizzy, but more often than not perms just end up looking silly. I was a perm victim in the 80's and early 90's - trust me. I would recommend taking the time to just curl your hair every day if you want that look - besides I don't think SJP has a perm in that picture :flower:

if you get a perm and cut your hair THAT short,
its going to get frizzy no matter what.
SJP's hair is naturally wavy, so her hair in the pic is not permed.
im not against perms, but im against those kind of perms (pic) with short hair.
its going to take forever to style your hair everyday too.

Don't get a perm, it's one of the worst things you can do to your hair. Ask any hairdresser. SJP's hair as mentioned before is naturally curly and in SATC her hair has been done. It doesn't look like that when she wakes up in the morning... Perms just make your hair frizzy and even when you have a perm you have to style your hair and curl it, it just stays curly for longer, meaning that it doesn't go flat. If you have short hair it'll be frizzy, if you have long hair it'll be too heavy to stay curly so it'll just be wavy and frizzy.
Another option- I heard that they have something called "ceramic curls" in Asia which would produce a nicer look but I'd imagine it's also not very good for your hair either.

Jodie Foster

She has had a perm (is this old news?? - if so I missed it) - anyway, she looks great....

ST_298_Jodie_Foster.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->