Peter Hawkings - Designer

for fragrance, Tom Ford private label fragrance is way too over saturated.

Side note, I went on a date and was talking to the guy about niche fragrances etc and he said he had all of the Tom Ford private label fragrances and that I was welcome to try some. Sometimes I don’t think before I speak and I said “no thanks, I’m looking for something a bit more niche and luxe”. He asked who raised me and said I was welcome to leave the date.

With that said, there’s too many and the branding way too associated with the man himself who is a caricature has become cheesy for me. I don’t find them to be special.

Now if we are talking fashion brand fragrances…. Dries is where it is at right now for me.

Side note, I went on a date and was talking to the guy about niche fragrances etc and he said he had all of the Tom Ford private label fragrances and that I was welcome to try some. Sometimes I don’t think before I speak and I said “no thanks, I’m looking for something a bit more niche and luxe”. He asked who raised me and said I was welcome to leave the date.
Well, it's better than being in a 6-month relationship with a man who claimed to be a fan of fashion, but their knowledge starts with Supreme and ends with Virgil Abloh.
With that said, there’s too many and the branding way too associated with the man himself who is a caricature has become cheesy for me. I don’t find them to be special.

Now if we are talking fashion brand fragrances…. Dries is where it is at right now for me.
I do agree that the fragrance line has become very oversaturated with the numerous nameless releases and variations. The line would be much stronger if they create a strong differentiation between the "Signature" and "Private Blend" line.

The "Signature" (Black Orchard, Ombré Leather, Eau de Joue, etc.) line can be positioned as the more accessible, mass produced cash cow, while the "Private Blend" line veer even more niche with limited runs and distribution.

I tried "f*cking Fabulous" in a department store, expecting something special...but it smells "f*cking Horrible"!
It's just a marmite fragrance. Others love it. I'm not a fan, but many are. You'll get that from any brand - nothing to do with the TF direction (or lack of it). In the same way you could argue they were a little crazy to remove the Acqua fragrances which I personally loved....but others found lacking power.

Current rumor is Haider Ackermann at Tom Ford, which is weird bc he was just hired at Canada Goose. Anyway, SOMEONE has been selected so we’ll probably hear an announcement soon.

My TF UK contact said the same the other day - Haider Ackermann, but I'm sure it's more of a rumour, than fact.

It's just a marmite fragrance. Others love it. I'm not a fan, but many are. You'll get that from any brand - nothing to do with the TF direction (or lack of it). In the same way you could argue they were a little crazy to remove the Acqua fragrances which I personally loved....but others found lacking power.

My TF UK contact said the same the other day - Haider Ackermann, but I'm sure it's more of a rumour, than fact.
I smell two of his fragrances at Macy's I believe and I didn't like them at all they were too dark noted. Smells like wet wood.

That's exactly why I can't get into Tom Ford. Sure, his menswear is nice, but his overall image as an actual person does seem really cheesy to me, and hella pretentious, so I'd be very hesitant to give him any business. Imagine getting stuck next to them at a dinner party? I'd rather stick a needle in my eye.

That said, a designer like Dries, who does not seem cheesy or pretentious in any way, shape, or form, and who always comes across as likeable...well, I'll gladly purchase anything he's selling, even the fragrance, if only for the pretty bottle.

That's exactly why I can't get into Tom Ford. Sure, his menswear is nice, but his overall image as an actual person does seem really cheesy to me, and hella pretentious, so I'd be very hesitant to give him any business. Imagine getting stuck next to them at a dinner party? I'd rather stick a needle in my eye.

Really? Wow. I totally disagree. Just shows how people perceive others. I think he has high values, talks well, easy to listen to and offers excellent advice. But he's going to come across as 'pretentious' as he's come from Gucci/YSL and has positioned TF as a high-end luxury brand - he has to reflect this. Not sure how that comes across as 'cheesy' though.

As for giving him any business - he's long gone, remember....

I think Estée Lauder went a bit too far with the constant releases of Fragrances.
Now they are reorganizing their lines into olfactive families. Let’s see how it works.

They have discontinued very great fragrances and the line is more standardized in a way, even if they have great fragrances.

It’s a pity they stopped doing nail polish as it was one of the thing that for me put Tom Ford as an ambitious beauty brand comparable with Chanel.

They aren’t really pushing the skincare either. I strongly believe that Tom should have kept an advisory role in the beauty for the longest.

Tom Ford advantage is that they were among the first ones with Dior and Chanel, to jump into the Niche area of fragrances. It allowed them to make risks, risks that didn’t paid when Tom was at YSL, and make it work.
for fragrance, Tom Ford private label fragrance is way too over saturated.

Personally, the Niche fragrance market is so saturated today that I think, it’s tiring.

Dries has a great line. I hope Puig will not discontinue the fragrances and turn the brand into a cash machine.

That’s what Tom Ford has slightly become for Estée Lauder.

My husband used to wear Champaca Absolute and they discontinued it. I think it was an interesting fragrance, like Plum Japonais and some of the original ones.

Despite it, I think Tom Ford has an interesting POV regarding fragrances.
Current rumor is Haider Ackermann at Tom Ford, which is weird bc he was just hired at Canada Goose. Anyway, SOMEONE has been selected so we’ll probably hear an announcement soon.
It would be a surprise but tbh, Haider’s contract could make it impossible for him to work for Moncler or any direct competition but in all fairness, he can totally still be at the helm of a fashion/luxury brand.

I’m hopeless regarding that man anyway…

I think the Haider Ackermann Canada Goose thing was just to save the polar bears with a limited edition hoodie or whatever it was, is he really designing other items for them? In retrospect, it just seemed like a PR thing and a way for him to see some polar bears and hang out with Jane Fonda! :lol:

I don't want to think about Tom Ford's fragrances, lest the powers that be read my mind and discontinue the two Private Blends I love and wear all the time. I've cursed other beauty products this way in the past. I wouldn't be opposed to them discontinuing Tobacco Vanille, as one of my coworkers sprays it around like there's no tomorrow.

I think the Haider Ackermann Canada Goose thing was just to save the polar bears with a limited edition hoodie or whatever it was, is he really designing other items for them? In retrospect, it just seemed like a PR thing and a way for him to see some polar bears and hang out with Jane Fonda! :lol:

I don't want to think about Tom Ford's fragrances, lest the powers that be read my mind and discontinue the two Private Blends I love and wear all the time. I've cursed other beauty products this way in the past. I wouldn't be opposed to them discontinuing Tobacco Vanille, as one of my coworkers sprays it around like there's no tomorrow.
That’s the Tom Ford way. He spoke in an interview about it actually- lol and to this day it’s why I spray myself in an over abundance of fragrance.

From Puck News:

The bond between Ford and Hawkings was once, indeed, a very real thing. After the Lauder deal, I’ve been told, Ford gifted Hawkings a large sum of money out of his own payout as a personal thank-you for years of work. But as Hawkings began to assume more responsibility, tension grew between the two men. The dissolution of Ford’s Los Angeles womenswear design studio was unsurprising—Hawkings is based in London, and there is more design talent in Europe. However, I’m told that Hawkings made a faux pas by inviting Ford to his first womenswear show without sending a personal note, according to multiple people. (Ford, like everyone else, received an invite via email.) Still, Ford did try to attend, I’m told, but faced a logistical nightmare that made it necessary (and easy) to say no. (Ford didn’t respond to a request for comment. A rep for Hawkings declined to comment.)

There were several decisions made during the Hawkings era that were brand damaging, and Ford noticed. Ford and his team long claimed that they never resorted to paying celebrities to attend shows because Ford, himself, was an icon and friends with many of the stars he dressed on the red carpet. Hawkings, without such a network, decided to pay celebrities to attend the shows, I’m told. (He understandably did not want to invite Ford’s friends.) But the mix of celebrities—the first season, it was Elizabeth Banks, the second, Iris Law and others—felt strange and unspectacular.
As for the fashion? Combing through the currently for-sale pieces over the weekend, I continue to find the womenswear appealing, if generic: silky blouses, nicely cut trousers, body-skimming dresses. There were chic accessories, too, including the Whitney bag, named after Hawkings’ very involved wife and longtime muse, Whitney Bromberg Hawkings. To build the womenswear collection, the couple shipped pieces of Bromberg Hawkings’ own wardrobe to the studio to serve as a three-dimensional mood board.

But executives and designers at brands including Saint Laurent and Celine, as well as several independent labels, whispered that Hawkings was too inspired by their work.
I’m sorry what 😭is it just me or are none of these good enough reasons to fire him.💀

They should have given him more time. Period.

And what’s wrong with Elizabeth Banks and Iris Law… they seem “Tom ford” enough to me 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
The full article hypothesizing on the reason of Peter Hawkings' departure:
The Talented Mr. Hawkings?
So what really led to Peter Hawkings’ sudden ouster from Tom Ford, the brand he’d help his mentor create and eventually sell for $2.8 billion? Was it just declining sales? Vanilla Sex? New penny-pinching overlords? Or what if Hawkings desperately wanted to be Ford, and tried to be Ford, but just simply wasn’t?

Lauren Sherman
August 5, 2024

Last week, I was catching up with a designer who worked at Gucci in 2004, back when Tom Ford and Domenico De Sole famously and semi-acrimoniously left the group, which is now part of Kering. At the time, Gucci C.E.O. Giacomo Santucci put three people in charge to replace Ford: John Ray ran menswear, Alessandra Facchinetti designed women’s, and Frida Giannini looked after accessories. (There was also Karen Joyce, responsible for image and advertising.) Within two years, both Ray and Facchinetti were gone—Mark Lee, the former YSL C.E.O., was now in charge of Gucci, and did away with the complicated structure. Giannini had won, and would remain the creative director for nearly 10 years. By the time she got fired at the end of 2014, the brand message was severely watered down, allowing for one of her longtime, long-repressed deputies, Alessandro Michele, to step up and unleash his maximalist id.

This former Gucci designer very incisively compared that experience with what is currently going down at Tom Ford, the brand, referring to the abrupt exit of creative director Peter Hawkings, the lackluster sales for both women’s and menswear, etcetera. All those years ago, this person told me, the designers put in charge had to adjust quickly to life after the wunderkind: smaller budgets, fewer extravagances, and less tolerated eccentricity. For instance, this person recalled the Spring 2005 men’s runway show, where butterflies from the famous taxidermy store in Paris, Deyrolle, were fastened to the lapels. “I just remember, at the end of the show, going backstage and seeing the butterflies scattered on the floor” as if they were cheap sequins falling off a dress, the former Gucci designer said. It was excessive, wasteful: the remnants of a time of incredible wealth creation for Ford, De Sole, and the Gucci Group.

Peter Hawkings, who was fired last month after only one year on the job, had only known life under Ford. He learned from the master at Gucci and then joined his namesake brand in 2006 to continue to work under the tutelage of the original merchant-designer, who knows how to sell a pair of loafers as well as he designs a splashy runway collection. Just like the trio of Gucci designers back in the day, this person suggested, perhaps Hawkings was used to certain budgets and treatment that, maybe, were wiped away when Ford exited.

The only problem with this theory is that Ford and De Sole were not running the Tom Ford fashion brand in excess. Beauty, not fashion or accessories, was the profit center, and the duo adhered to tight budgets. And from what I’ve been told by several people in and around Tom Ford Fashion, Ford and De Sole did everything in their power to ensure that Ford’s exit would be as painless as possible. When the news broke that they planned on selling to Estée Lauder Companies, in late 2022, the duo hosted a conference call with the entire company—employees in Los Angeles, London, New York, and Milan—explaining candidly why he wanted out (the personal and professional), and what would happen next. De Sole had been on the board of Zegna since 2005, and would remain there as that group became the official custodian of the fashion brand. (Remember, Estée Lauder owns Tom Ford, but Zegna runs Tom Ford Fashion, and an eyewear company makes the glasses.)

It was decided fairly early on in the process that Hawkings would be Ford’s replacement—a detail that Hawkings shared quite openly. This seemed like an obvious and brand-affirming choice. In fact, I wrote about it in the very first issue of Line Sheet since it was common knowledge among the London fashion set. And despite dedicating his entire professional life to the service of his mentor, Hawkings soon seemed to be serving a brand of his own.

The Imposter Syndrome
The bond between Ford and Hawkings was once, indeed, a very real thing. After the Lauder deal, I’ve been told, Ford gifted Hawkings a large sum of money out of his own payout as a personal thank-you for years of work. But as Hawkings began to assume more responsibility, tension grew between the two men. The dissolution of Ford’s Los Angeles womenswear design studio was unsurprising—Hawkings is based in London, and there is more design talent in Europe. However, I’m told that Hawkings made a faux pas by inviting Ford to his first womenswear show without sending a personal note, according to me, multiple people. (Ford, like everyone else, received an invite via email.) Still, Ford did try to attend, I’m told, but faced a logistical nightmare that made it necessary (and easy) to say no. (Ford didn’t respond to a request for comment. A rep for Hawkings declined to comment.)

There were several decisions made during the Hawkings era that were brand damaged, and Ford noticed. Ford and his team long claimed that they never resorted to paying celebrities to attend shows because Ford, himself, was an icon and friends with many of the stars he dressed on the red carpet. Hawkings, without such a network, decided to pay celebrities to attend the shows, I’m told. (He understandably did not want to invite Ford’s friends.) But the mix of celebrities—the first season, it was Elizabeth Banks, the second, Iris Law and others—felt strange and unspectacular.

As for fashion? Combing through the currently for-sale pieces over the weekend, I continue to find the womenswear appealing, if generic: silky blouses, nicely cut trousers, body-skimming dresses. There were chic accessories, too, including the Whitney bag, named after Hawkings’ very involved wife and longtime muse, Whitney Bromberg Hawkings. To build the womenswear collection, the couple shipped pieces of Bromberg Hawkings’ own wardrobe to the studio to serve as a three-dimensional mood board.

But executives and designers at brands including Saint Laurent and Celine, as well as several independent labels, whispered that Hawkings was too inspired by their work. Brands copy brands all the time—nothing is original in fashion—but the key is to bring something new to the table. Hawkings failed to do that in the eyes of many. And yet, he certainly wanted to distinguish himself from Ford, the man, at one point suggesting to the Zegna group and Estée Lauder that he wanted to change the name of the brand to TF by Peter Hawkings. (A rep for Zegna did not respond to a request for comment. A rep for Estée Lauder had no comment.)

In the end, it was likely a confluence of factors that cost Hawkings the gig. Here’s hoping he is able to share his side of the story one day. And more importantly, that he is able to move on, because everyone needs to do so. The question of who will replace him remains unanswered. One reader, a luxury exec, pushed back on the idea of Haider Ackermann, which I floated last week. His exit from Berluti was not good, and Canada Goose is doing a lot to make him happy, setting up a design studio in Paris and so forth.

Another doozy of an unfounded rumor concerns Pierpaolo Piccioli, who I’d sooner believe is going to Chanel. To be sure, it’s not going to be as easy for me to find out who is replacing Hawkings as it was for me to discover that he got the job—or that he was leaving, for that matter. On the subject of Ackermann, I get all those reasons that he wouldn’t be right, but what Zegna likely needs is someone who will make beautiful clothes and let the literal suits run the business. Perhaps he’s the best choice after all.
Puck News

A list of PH's alleged faux-pas:
- dissolving the womenswear studio in LA
- sending Ford an impersonal invitation for his debut show
- paying celebrities to attend his shows
- producing overly derivative work
- attempting to rename the brand to "TF by Peter Hawkings".

Puck News

I learned (and therefore noticed it) that he started to dress like Tom (the tinted sunglasses included) recently too.

Maybe the imposter syndrome and the desire to « kill the father » led to bad decisions and were perceived badly by the teams too. It can definitely hurt your leadership.

Now, I totally understand understand why the first row of his shows and the casting of his shows looked that way. If he didn’t want Tom celebrity friends to attend the show, therefore, it makes sense to not see Joan smalls, Karen Elson and others at the show. I even expected Carine to wear the collection as pure support and she didn’t.

He is gone now, so it’s done.

This article suggests at least that Tom Ford would be involved in the choice of successor.

Just to get back to that one point: imagine having spent 30 years in fashion, managing to get high profile celebrities at your shows for your successor to pay to get Iris Law…

I would pay for Timothée Chalamet (as he went to be the first one to wear Peter’s stuff) or Zendaya. But Iris Law!?

Come on Peter! Lol

I mean, like the article said Peter is not as celeb-connected as Tom. He is more of a behind the scenes guy.

I really don’t get why it’s a big deal. Iris Law looked amazing in that gold Tom Ford dress.

The customer doesn’t know who gets paid. And it probably pales in comparison to the obscene amount of money paid out to celebs for attending Dior and Gucci lol.

Peter should go to Philipp Plein i think he will do wonders there , clean it up and keep it sexy and lux yet easy to understand for many. or Ferragamo will get him or some other mid size brand in need.

Looking forward for TF to be more interesting as it deserves to be.

If not forget it.

I mean, like the article said Peter is not as celeb-connected as Tom. He is more of a behind the scenes guy.

I really don’t get why it’s a big deal. Iris Law looked amazing in that gold Tom Ford dress.

The customer doesn’t know who gets paid. And it probably pales in comparison to the obscene amount of money paid out to celebs for attending Dior and Gucci lol.
Then invite the ones connected to the brand.
Stefano was in the same position as Tom when he joined. He simply invited the people who wore YSL at red carpets.

For those smaller brands, you invite celebrities for cachet. Iris Law looks good but it’s not adding any cachet to the brand.

However, Tom Ford dressed Carla Bruni, Dua Lipa and Timothée Chalamet during the short PH tenure. That’s the kind of person that helps the cachet of the brand. Perception is important, not necessarily for the public but also to the industry.

The Queen of paying celebrities to attend shows is Donatella.

Tom Ford as brand is small enough to still get celebrities that are in contracts as brand ambassadors for the big ones.
And they would come just to be in proximity with the brand.

I would have paid for Tracee Ellis Ross. You sit her next to Carine or Anna.

Because influencers who are invited by the beauty division would do the job of a Iris Law, with more impact.

Puck News

All the supposed ill-mannered etiquette I can believe: People show their true nature when they’re finally in a prominent position. But the proposal of renaming the brand Tom Ford by Peter Hawkins is such a witless dick move to even consider LMFAO More so when his offerings have at best, garnered such a lukewarm reception. People don’t reveal their massive ego until they’ve proven to be an irreplaceable asset to an entity :cough:Hedi:cough: and Peter’s got a long way to go before he may even dare to be so confidently arrogant in his role as to place his name anywhere near Tom's. ...Unless he’s just really that stupid. And 25 years right by Tom’s side don’t suffer stupid.

But also what is this thing with designers wanting to have a ´by’ + their name ?

If they want so much their name on, I invite them to create their own house.

I like designers working for the brand and the name of the brand. To believe that Tom Ford by Peter Hawkins would bring any value or interest. 😂

The delusion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
156sprinter
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->