Pharrell Williams - Designer, Creative Director of Louis Vuitton Menswear

Pusha T debuts as Louis Vuitton's newest brand ambassador

Image Credit : Courtesy of Louis Vuitton

Pusha T for Louis Vuitton​

Pusha T debuts as Louis Vuitton’s newest brand ambassador (for men's).

Pusha T debuts as Louis Vuitton's newest brand ambassador

Pusha T debuts as Louis Vuitton's newest brand ambassador's newest brand ambassador

Image Credit : Courtesy of Louis Vuitton

Pusha T for Louis Vuitton​

Pusha T debuts as Louis Vuitton’s newest brand ambassador (for men's).

Pusha T debuts as Louis Vuitton's newest brand ambassador's newest brand ambassador
I like Pusha T. His wife is lovely too.
He usually dress well for his style but I’m afraid he might wear only the tacky, loud stuff from Pharrell.

First time I see that guy...why everything has to go around the hip-hop world??

First time I see that guy...why everything has to go around the hip-hop world??
He is part of an iconic Hip-Hop group, Clipse, with his brother and has a great solo career of his own.
Hip-hop is part of Pharrell’s identity so you cannot get one without the other I guess but it’s interesting to see those brands non-Kpop ambassadors.
But HipHop is also the dominant musical genre worldwide. 15 years ago, brands attached themselves with rock stars, sometimes popstars and so it make sense that they are following mass taste.

But HipHop is also the dominant musical genre worldwide. 15 years ago, brands attached themselves with rock stars, sometimes popstars and so it make sense that they are following mass taste.
Brands should lead the taste and not follow mass taste. The mass is often very wrong.
Plus hip-hop has already tons of specific insiders brands.

Brands should lead the taste and not follow mass taste. The mass is often very wrong.
Plus hip-hop has already tons of specific insiders brands.
I agree that brands should lead.
On the other hand, maybe Hip-Hop hasn’t been totally digested for people to separate it individuals from the genre/community?

Lenny Kravitz signing with Jaeger Le Coultre is just about a musician without any connotation.

There’s a feeling that anything hip-hop related is still met with negative connotations.

I’m not sure though that someone like Pusha T is a customer of HipHop insiders brands anymore. It would be cliche to have a 40 years old as a face of such a brand and it would be off to have him in that box.

They are doing the same at Tiffany. Making them "culture brands". It's Alex Arnault's influence on the group. His tastes have a strong streetwear and hip-hop skew.

They are doing the same at Tiffany. Making them "culture brands". It's Alex Arnault's influence on the group. His tastes have a strong streetwear and hip-hop skew.
That's so 2014 and Supreme though ... Beyonce, Jay-Z and Kanye's golden years are behind them. And it alienates other customers who have negative views on hip-hop, especially on the gangsta sub-genre.

The link of hip hop and fashion and luxury is not just now its been there since 80´s and for sure 90´s and 00´s there was more of a officalized link between these worlds with rappers and R&B singers wearing all the Tom Ford gucci minimal stuff and many other brands of that that in video clips and red carpets to being in front row and adv´s

Look at Audemars Piguet watches has it relaunch thanks to J zay influence of getting his friends wearing it etc this is said by the outgoing CEO of AP himself on the resurrection of AP royal oak.
And same goes for many more brands linking themself with Culture of hip hop one way or another, these artist did not only wear and sing about these brands for years keeping them revenant and bring in younger clients as well in many ways we cannot deny the influence it has even if one does not like the music or deem it low brow...... fashion is made out of a spectrum of worlds that not only exist in the 4 walls of the HC salons of paris.

Like every industry also hip hop has its forward thinkers and pop artists and even the less talent layers to, it's not a monolite, many of its artist look for special pieces and new brands and ideas to wear clothes in original ways and can be a hit or miss but at least there is a fearless approach to fashion that i can appreciate as artist pushing the envelope even of the good old `Good taste` idea.

It's not for me but i think he is doing a good job with the acc novelties i can see the push for ideas but yet made into collectible items for people into LV and its endless play on the various canvas prints and epi leather and trunk travel codes etc

Realty is good taste people don't shop as much as rappers or hype beasts period !!

That's so 2014 and Supreme though ... Beyonce, Jay-Z and Kanye's golden years are behind them. And it alienates other customers who have negative views on hip-hop, especially on the gangsta sub-genre.
But the fans grew up and have money ....yet golden years might behind them as you say but the solidify themselves as royalties of culture with connections and reputation you can't buy so easily i say this and i am not even a fan or ever went to any of the concerts lol

Clients with Negative views on hip op don't pay the bills and aone sub genre does not triumph over all the others , and the kids that listen to it know the shop as well for the sneakers and belts etc.

Abercrombie and Fitch new uprise is also built on older millennials needs and they reached 4,2 billion sales in 2 years (if i remember well ) instead of their target of 4 years, the brand now caters to more woman than male considering how it was in the past.

I am sure LV has numbers and overview of their types /levels of clients profiles to make the pivot already with Virgil and now with PW.

I feel supreme has been replaced by LV because its more hard to get also by price and connection with the brand and sales staff etc its not enough to stand in line any more , you need to have inside plug to get you the good stuff.

I don´t like hip-hop, I find it extremely boring and repetitive as hell. But what I find really funny is that, to these days, brands market their affiliation to hip-hop as something "young, fresh and cool"...it has 50 years old, for god´s sake!! It´s not young anymore!!

...it has 50 years old, for god´s sake!! It´s not young anymore!!
but that's on fashion, not on hip hop. fashion is kind of old-fashioned in a way. Only when it has nowhere left to turn it realizes Hip hop has always been around and given props:

-Aaliyah singlehandedly made Tommy Hilfiger a thing in the 90's.
-Kanye West namedropping Kate Moss in his #1 Stronger "you can be my black KM tonight" right after cokegate
-Kanye being the first man to wear Phoebe's Celine
-Kanye & Jay Z: "what's that jacket, Margiela" in 2011. Also "'Cause I was him, I would have married Kate and Ashley" in the same song. the public started catching up with the Row maybe 4 years ago.
-Kanye + Pusha T on Runaway (widely agreed the key track on the album of the decade:( "They aint never seen Versace sofas"
-Frank Ocean: "I look both sides like Chanel" on "Chanel"
-Jay Z's got a summer single called "Tom Ford". song came out, Tom Ford got "a huge spike on search engines" according to wikipedia.
-Pusha-T "If you know you know" a hit in '18. Quiet Luxury has only been a trend post covid.
and they pay for their stuff.
what's not to love?

but that's on fashion, not on hip hop. fashion is kind of old-fashioned in a way. Only when it has nowhere left to turn it realizes Hip hop has always been around and given props:

-Kanye West namedropping Kate Moss in his #1 Stronger "you can be my black KM tonight" right after cokegate
-Kanye & Jay Z: "what's that jacket, Margiela" in 2011. Also "'Cause I was him, I would have married Kate and Ashley" in the same song. the public started catching up with the Row maybe 4 years ago.
-Kanye + Pusha T on Runaway (widely agreed the key track on the album of the decade:( "They aint never seen Versace sofas"
-Jay Z's got a summer single called "Tom Ford". song came out, Tom Ford got "a huge spike on search engines" according to wikipedia.
-Pusha-T "If you know you know" a hit in '18. Quiet Luxury has only been a trend post covid.
what's not to love?
Yes I know...but I have always found songs which mention or even repeat the name of brands totally childish.

what's not to love?

Not be to critical as I totally get your point but your examples would make believe that the Hip-Hop/Fashion conversation only happened in the 2010’s when it was already digested and integrated in the fashion conversation in the 90’s. Rappers name-dropped luxury brands in the 90’s, wore the brands. Some were invited in shows. Some designers embraced artists whether they were rappers, producers or singers…

When Pharrell became the face of Vuitton in 2006, i think that conversation was done.

However the real shift in the 2010´s was that the mass consumed HipHop in a bigger way. It was just a subculture before.

So of course, having something HipHop coded and treated as a novelty in 2024 is odd because fashion has digested the subject for years now.

For me the biggest shift in the fashion/hip hop conversation was Riccardo Tisci doing menswear for Givenchy. It was the game changer.

Virgil was maybe a symbol but in reality, without the work of Riccardo, his hiring wouldn’t have been credible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lores
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->