Pharrell Williams - Designer, Creative Director of Louis Vuitton Menswear

But the Fenty project failed from the get-go because the strategy is just confusing.
The clothes were hyped and speak to her fans but the price they ask for was geared toward high contemporary. Her fan may buy a $40 foundation but they won't buy a $400 t-shirt or a $1000 denim jacket. For people who can afford that price, they have far more exciting brands they can choose from, what Fenty offered wasn't something unique or timeless.
I think that the main issue with Fenty is that its overall existence was just messy:
There was no specific aesthetic or identity in the designs or the branding, which changed with every release (every two months), meaning that Rihanna didn't think on what sort of designer she wanted to be. Luxury brands are heavily based off the creative signature of their founders.
Despite demanding prices akin to "smaller" designers, it operated closer in nature to a lower-contemporary Instagram boutique with sporadic releases, exclusively online distribution with the occasionally DTC pop-ups. Luxury brands are slower and more regular, to allow more time for occasional customers to prepare for such heavy spending.
The brand didn't open any permanent physical stores or gain any permanent stockists, which is an pseudo-necessity for a brand demanding 3 to 4 figures for a ready-to-wear item.
The brand was constantly upstaged by all of its sister companies during major industry events, due to lack of seasonal campaigns and shows, even off schedule.
The brand was treated more as an extension of Fenty Beauty and Savage × Fenty instead the main entity, while it should have been the other way around, as a luxury RTW customer can easily buy into the beauty line of a brand they like, but rarely the other way around.

I still think giving Pharell an atelier to run is a big decision, a multiseason capsule would have made better sense as a tester. Hopefully the mostly hype beast crowd that follows his aesthetic will show up. I guess its the same crowd that ate up Virgil's designs so it might work afterall, but what happens during the third or fourth season once the hype crowd is over the fact that 'Pharell' is in charge? Virgil wasnt the most groundbreaking designer but he knew how to make a fashion statement and how to generate hype around this and his brand. He's going to need one hell of a team and as THD96 said hes going to need some strong accessories to carry the brand financially, maybe a statement sneaker or bag or even eyewear.

I still think giving Pharell an atelier to run is a big decision, a multiseason capsule would have made better sense as a tester. Hopefully the mostly hype beast crowd that follows his aesthetic will show up. I guess its the same crowd that ate up Virgil's designs so it might work afterall, but what happens during the third or fourth season once the hype crowd is over the fact that 'Pharell' is in charge? Virgil wasnt the most groundbreaking designer but he knew how to make a fashion statement and how to generate hype around this and his brand. He's going to need one hell of a team and as THD96 said hes going to need some strong accessories to carry the brand financially, maybe a statement sneaker or bag or even eyewear.

I think creating noises in the market, great campaigns, beautiful photography, hype and even accessories are very easy to make, there is a lot whole of taste makers, influencers, marketing professionals to do the job.

It is the ability to really make clothes that is difficult, I don’t think it will veer too far billionaire boys club, ICE CREAM, human made type of designs. Easy to wear, easy to understand, easy to appreciate but zero in ground breaking creativity. But such is the climate in fashion nowadays, so perhaps it is surprising too…

This, by Robin Givhan, is the best analysis yet:

“Yet rather than confidently promoting from within, Vuitton looked outward for someone who could enhance its validity. It went outside its ateliers and even beyond the realm of designers. Doing so suggests that a pure designer, that is someone who had committed themselves to both the technical aspects of fashion as well as its creative expression, couldn’t deliver what the company wanted. A pure designer was not enough.

That’s disheartening. It’s also simply not true.”

Washington Post

Meh. I thought this era was over and even LVMH would start valuing real, professional designers and desirable fashion again, just like Kering has been doing.

After this news, I wouldn’t be surprised if they gave MMW another 3 years at Givenchy, too.

We have a show in Hong Kong on November 30:
EXCLUSIVE: Louis Vuitton to Stage First Men’s Pre-fall Show in Hong Kong
The collection designed by Pharrell Williams is set to bow on Nov. 30.

By JOELLE DIDERICH
OCTOBER 10, 2023, 1:00AM

CITY LIGHTS: Louis Vuitton is hitting the road with its men’s pre-fall collection.
The line designed by men’s creative director Pharrell Williams will be presented on Nov. 30 in Hong Kong, marking the first time the pre-collection will be showcased in a physical runway show. Williams showed his debut collection in Paris in June, with a mega-event that was attended by Beyoncé, Rihanna and Zendaya.

Vuitton’s links to Hong Kong date back more than four decades: its first store there opened at the Peninsula hotel in 1979 and it now has seven boutiques.

The world’s biggest luxury brand has also staged major exhibitions, including “Louis Vuitton: A Passion for Creation” in 2009, for which artist Richard Prince wrapped the Hong Kong Museum of Art with enlarged replicas of pulp-fiction novel covers, and the “Time Capsule” exhibit in 2017.

Vuitton lauded Hong Kong as “cosmopolitan and vibrant, a city that has for centuries been a crossroads of people and trade; a melting pot of East and West that has given rise to a thriving metropolis of art, culture, and industry.” It did not disclose the precise location of the upcoming show, which will be its first in the special administrative region of China.

Hong Kong’s August retail sales rose 13.7 percent compared with the same month in 2022, helped by an increase in visitor arrivals, according to the latest figures released by the Census and Statistics Department.

It quoted a government spokesman as saying that the retail sector would continue to benefit from the ongoing recovery of inbound tourism in the near term. Sales should also be supported by positive consumer sentiment amid improved labor market conditions, and the “Night Vibes Hong Kong” campaign of events and promotions, he said.

The Immigration Department recorded a total of around 1.1 million visitors from mainland China coming to Hong Kong through sea, land and air control points during the eight-day National Day Golden Week, which ran from Sept. 29 to Oct. 6. This represented 85 percent of the levels recorded between 2017 and 2019, before the coronavirus pandemic shut borders.
Source: WWD

Pharrell's debut collection has dropped:
Pharrell Williams’ First Collection for Louis Vuitton Lands in Stores
The French luxury brand is unveiling dedicated store concepts across more than 50 locations worldwide in its largest menswear activation to date.

By JOELLE DIDERICH
JANUARY 4, 2024, 1:00AM

PARIS
— Pharrell Williams won the media attention sweepstakes with his debut men’s collection for Louis Vuitton last June. With the line landing in stores on Thursday, he now faces his first major test of commercial success.

The French luxury brand pulled out the stops for the rollout, with splashy activations including a temporary location on the Avenue des Champs-Élysées in Paris and a takeover of its flagship on Fifth Avenue in New York City, both fully decked out in the checkerboard motif that was a keystone of the spring 2024 collection.

Vuitton is unveiling dedicated store concepts across more than 50 locations worldwide, including a pop-up and 16 windows at Selfridges department store in London and a makeover of its permanent pop-up space in Seoul. The installations will remain in place for a period of one to three months, depending on the location.

In tandem, the brand plans in-store happenings, DJ residencies and food concepts, reflecting Vuitton’s self-described positioning as a “cultural” brand with broad reach across segments including sports, gaming, music and art.

The collection release coincides with the launch of a campaign featuring basketball star LeBron James touting Williams’ new interpretation of the Speedy bag, as well as a 24-hour digital world tour of the bag design. Taking the form of CGI renderings, the new Speedy P9 will journey from Shanghai to Paris via the house’s social channels and in-app filters.

Louis Vuitton chairman and chief executive officer Pietro Beccari was not available to comment on the launch, which the brand described as its largest menswear activation to date.

Williams took advantage of his presence in Hong Kong for Vuitton’s first physical pre-fall menswear show to take a short business trip to China in early December, which coincided with the installation of three giant inflatable Speedy bags: one outside the Louis Vuitton flagship in Chengdu and two in Shanghai, one of which floated down the city’s Huangpu River.

“I definitely wanted to make my mark in bags and trunks,” Williams told WWD in Shanghai. “And I just felt like when you think about nice handbags, luxury handbags, the first thing that pops in most people’s minds is the Speedy.”

The handbag was a focal point of the musician’s spectacular debut show in June on the Pont Neuf bridge in Paris, which drew celebrities including Beyoncé, Zendaya and Rihanna, and culminated with a live performance by Jay-Z.

The show was the top-ranked of the men’s season, with a media impact value of $42.6 million, according to data research and insights company Launchmetrics. The event broke records by garnering 775 million views on Vuitton’s owned platforms and an additional 300 million video views on press accounts, the brand reported.

In the wake of the runway display, the LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton-owned house broke the threshold of 3 million subscribers on YouTube, making it the most followed luxury label on the platform, with 16 million views of the main film of the show.

Vuitton is betting on the new handbags in primary colors, originally teased with a campaign featuring a pregnant Rihanna, to drive sales. The Speedy P9 is made from calf leather instead of canvas, playing into a long-term upscaling strategy for Vuitton leather goods.

“It’s a different vibe, and just sort of an opportunity to let people know that our job and our partnership and working together is about leveling up and not just a few steps, but floors up,” Williams explained. “We were already using really nice textiles, and there was a lot of craftsmanship that was just already super stellar, but you can’t stop there.”

The bag will be available in a limited network of stores worldwide, including the Champs-Élysées store in Paris, the New Bond Street boutique in London and the SoHo location in New York, with a strategy centered on exclusivity that is expected to generate waiting lists. In Paris, the Speedy P9 can be viewed by special request in an all-black “secret room” on the first floor.

Most of the much-hyped crocodile Speedy P9s with gold and diamond hardware, with an eye-watering price tag of 1 million euros, have been sold, according to a Vuitton spokesman. The brand did not specify how many were produced.

The entrance of Vuitton’s temporary residence space at 100 Avenue des Champs-Élysées is covered in a circular gold version of the brand’s signature Damier check pattern, in an echo of the sunray motif on the stained glass invitations for the June show.

Inside, mirrored gold and silver paneling evokes the giant gold Damier pattern that covered the pavement of the bridge that was used as a runway. The store concept also integrates Paris landmarks like the traditional dark-green bookseller stands on the banks of the Seine river, and the Morris columns used to display advertising posters, which date back to the 19th century.

The Paris activation spreads across three floors. A basement room is lined with wooden shelves shaped like speakers, in a nod to the recording studio that Williams has installed at the brand’s headquarters. It houses clothing and accessories featuring his new Damoflage motif, a pixelated pattern that splices the Damier check with camouflage, and LVers emblem.

Novelty items include portable Nanogram speakers, a sneaker trunk with a transparent front window, and a reusable coffee cup with a golden metallic monogram-engraved straw, identical to the one Williams uses.

On the ground floor, a giant screen broadcasts footage of the show behind a row of mannequins. It is home to accessories including jewelry, featuring gender-fluid offerings such as the brooch with a pearl chain worn by James in the ad campaign.

These chime with the “dandy club” on the first floor, an area with pale green walls adorned with an LV coat of arms, dedicated to dressier outfits and exotic leather bags. Visitors will be able to take part in photo calls at a Parisian kiosk and create personalized Louis Vuitton posters, the brand said in a statement.

Other locations will feature variations on the same theme, with Selfridges’ pop-up showcasing a reimagined version of the Pont Neuf bridge made from 3D cubes. Visitors are invited to walk through the arches of the bridge where a music installation broadcasts the show soundtrack, featuring “Joy (Unspeakable)” performed by gospel choir Voices of Fire.

The miniature golden recreation of the Pont Neuf is one of two global installation models, with the other consisting of a small-scale reconstruction of Paris buildings and monuments. In Seoul, the launch will be accompanied by an in-store culinary animation, reflecting Vuitton’s growing inroads into the hospitality segment.

In some locations, purchases will be packaged in limited-edition carrier bags featuring the Damoflage motif and LVers logo.

Sales associates will wear bespoke uniforms consisting of a suit in a white Damoflage pattern with matching shirt, a gilded LVers pin and white sneakers, matching the looks worn by members of the live orchestra who performed at the show.

— With contributions from Denni Hu
Source: WWD

£4K for a 100% polyester blazer? is this satire?
There are high quality synthetic fabrics much like there are low quality natural fabrics…

The prices are quite decent for the clothes. I find the pricing more decent at Vuitton than Burberry for example and I think in terms of range of products, it’s quite good.

But looking at some clothes and mostly accessories, I can’t help but feel like @yslforever . The best pieces in the collection were the more subtle and unfortunately, we will see a lot of damier and tacky LV on polos or belts in the streets.

I was kind of eyeing a Speedy in classic monogram, classic color in full leather as a travel bag for me but 9000€ is beyond outrageous!
I’m going to stay with Ghesquiere regarding my purchases at Vuitton.

It's very commercial, basic in a way, remove the damier and LV logos and its non-identifiable, the "damoflage" is horrendousthere's no design language there, yet I am sure a lot of it will sell because it is easy and simple to identify with.

I am sure a lot of it will sell because it is easy and simple to identify with.
I understand the need for some customers to identify, and that's the purpose of monograms and logos, but what are they identifying with here ? For me, it just screams: "Look at ME ! I am a certified sucker and I pay for it!".

I understand the need for some customers to identify, and that's the purpose of monograms and logos, but what are they identifying with here ? For me, it just screams: "Look at ME ! I am a certified sucker and I pay for it!".
it's essentially wearing a bank statement. it's about status and socioeconomic capital, nothing more. design and taste be damned.

Flexing with overpriced logos/monograms have been the pinnacle of status for the masses for as long as there have been brandnames. Sucker consumers will always be a vital part of what fuels the fashion system just as clowns will always be a part of fashion industry. No decade has been immune to the draw of consumerism.

People can rag on him and how he’s not an authentic designer etc etc but was Vuitton menswear’s is really anywhere close to the realm of creative vision for men that its women’s counterpart was??? Frankly, he’s delivery stronger and more sharply graphic merch and separates in just a couple of collections than any of his predecessors ever had in their entire careers. This brand was never about supporting and delivery artisanal high fashion for men anyway. Elevated streetwear plagued with logo and monogram as its hustling point to the superrich/flexers/wannabes is what this brand’s menswear is all about. That they finally got a granddaddy of streetwear is more genuine to this brand than a genuine designer working at the brand’s menswear, frankly.

Pharrell as LV Grand Poobah matches the recent history of the house (or at least its appropriation by American celebrities since the 90s), but it could still aspire to something more.

I have a couple of stunning men's pieces by KJ at LV, and before that I had a couple of beautiful sweaters from MJ era -- in all cases, I admit it is the luxe fabrication and finishing that attracted me rather than any astonishing element of "design" -- whereas you couldn't pay me to wear anything they've made since Virgil was installed.

^^^ Of course they could make more of an effort. But this fashion era is the one of making the least of design efforts while hustling hype for optimized profile and profit.

In an ideal high fashion world, someone with the technical skills, artistic integrity, and sharp creative vision of Haider would be such an ideal anointed lead for this brand: With his luxurious, bespoke skills and his strict and striking vision of men (and women. Because Haider in place of Nicolas would be a dream… But then I think about what that would do to Lola…), further developed and enhanced by the brand’s expensive atelier and access to unimaginable and exclusive raw materials and production techniques, the potential for high fashion for men (and women) would be pure fashion heaven. Unfortunately, as Virgil said— of the brand and of himself, this is the era of 40yos with the tastes and sophistication of 15yos. And if people remember this, then Pharrell with his mix of pop and street tastes, is the best of— and likely more important to LVMH, the most popular the 40yos (50+ in Pharrell's case LOL) that think like a 15yo to maintaining that 1+ billion dollar profit margin…

Fashiondom still remains in the same mindset as high school: Popularity will always come first. And just like high school, whose popular one year could very well be replaced by another. Don’t take it personally. ...Maybe by beginning of the next decade, the fashion axis will shift to one that supports and promotes concentrated talent and vision over optimizing profit margins… Cuz right now, we are in the thick of the most greedy, lazy, basic 15yo-mindset era of fashion LOL

A sneak peek at Louis Vuitton x Timberland:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->