Philip Seymour Hoffman has passed away...

I am so so sad about it. He is one of my favorite actors, he's been in many of my favorite movies. I can't believe it.

It was just announced Friday that he would be directing Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal in a film AND that his TV sitcom had been picked up. I didn't want to believe it when I heard it on the radio. So sad. He was a flawless actor and will be missed.

^ How sad: I knew about the TV series but not the possible directing.

Showtime released a statement about Hoffman's passing (quoted) and apparently the whole series in now up in the air.

Philip Seymour Hoffman was one of our generation's finest and most brilliant actors. He was also a gifted comedic talent. It was a great privilege and pleasure to work with him and we are all absolutely devastated by this sudden loss. Our thoughts go out to his family at this very difficult time.

More here:

http://www.indiewire.com/article/television/showtime-releases-statement-about-philip-seymour-hoffmans-passing

One of those rare actors that are flawless in EVERY. SINGLE. MOVIE. Tragic loss of a phenomenal talent.

RIP.

i'm taken aback by this actually….really the last person i would expect to die so suddenly. really loved his work in magnolia,capote,almost famous and more recently in the master. really one of the very few true thespians in america. such a breadth of talent lost here.

condolences to his family….

i don't get how somebody's death can be public so quickly. I mean, one of the earliest articles I saw from NYT said they spoke to somebody who was inside his apartment (a police officer or whatever) and he didn't want to say too much because he wasn't sure the family had been informed already.
WTF? How can somebody pass this news to the media without even calling the family first? (Assuming it wasn't the doorman or a neighbor, which would be equally bad, but at least it's not interfering with a professional ethos then.)
I also read that his body is said to still be in the house. It would have been just a tad more graceful if they had made sure they carry the body out of the house without a million people waiting and watching. :(

anyhow, i'm deeply moved to hear this sad news, he was one of the greatest and yet so incredibly modest.

This is such a shock! Rest in Peace. :cry:

I was so shocked by this! He's so talented! He will be truly misses.

R.I.P :(

I was not so shocked about this.
He looked the way that things are not well.
But still sad.
R.I.P

"Don't let those swill merchants rewrite you".

" Music, you now, true music - not just rock n roll - it chooses you. It lives in your car, or alone listening to your headphones, you know, with the vast scenic bridges and angelic choirs in your brain. It's a place apart from the vast, benign lap of America."

“The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you’re uncool.”

He marched to the beat of his own drum and made movies with heart.
Thank you Philip :heart:

Such sad news. It's a huge loss to cinema. But I feel most sorry for those three little kids he left behind. :(

Yes, agree about his children MyNameIs. The youngest was just 4 years old. I rewatched The Savages last night; what a touching performance.

I felt shocked when I heard of his death. But despite the circumstances, he has done more in his 46 years than most people will ever do and that makes me feel less sad. He has left this wonderful legacy. Even if he suffered through life, he has suffered enough. :flower: Now when I think about actors like River Phoenix or James Dean, I just feel like having a breakdown. :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
True: I guess some small consolation is that he has left a larger body of work in his wake that others. I think I'll watch Capote tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
triplesilversilversilver
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->