Early Oscar Buzz/Nominations '06-'07

Kind of disappointed with the nominations:

1, Leo is nominated for the wrong movie. Good in "The Blood Diamond", freaking unbelievable in "The Departed." Forest Whitaker now has a very sure lock on the prize, and that's fine with me, because I've just seen "The Last King of Scotland" and he's effing amazing. Dark horse is Peter O'Toole, who I'd also like to see win, based on his performance in "Venus" and the fact that he's been snubbed so many times! Yeah, I dunno who I'm rooting for, I have a lot of favorites!

2, Little Miss Sunshine is the most overrated movie of the year. It's cute and quirky, but imo, it's not even close to being the masterpiece everyone says it is.

3, No Brad for "Babel." Boo.

But still a lot of things to be glad about:
1, Penelope Cruz nominated for "Volver." Well-deserved bb. (It's a shame her movie wasn't nominated for best foreign film as well.) Helen Mirren's a lock, though, and that's awesome too because her performance was the best of the year imo.

2, Marty Scorsese seems headed for a win, which is great! I also hope "The Departed" wins over "Babel."

3, Djimon Hounsou nominated again, yay! He was even better than Leo in "The Blood Diamond."

4, Pan's Labyrinth in the running for best foreign language film. :smile: Yay.

2006 was actually a pretty good year for the movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Volver was easily Best Picture. But who didn't know the Academy Awards were a sham...

i hope 'the prestige' wins in its categories..it was a great film

I think it would be hilarious if Borat won for best script, I thought it was pretty crazy when he won the best actor award at the golden globes. Wishful thinking, but who knows it might happen.

I'm impressed with Ryan Gosling, who would've guessed, from Breaker high and Young Hercules to an Oscar nomination.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borat is even featured in the Oscars? Did he seriously win a Golden Globe? You have GOT to be kidding me!?!

Tushka_BeLLa said:
Borat is even featured in the Oscars? Did he seriously win a Golden Globe? You have GOT to be kidding me!?!

But of course, Borat got rave reviews from all the critics. New York Times, Village Voice, LA Times - y'know the people who count when it comes to awards...

I remember a french magazine called Ryan Gosling,"the new DiCaprio".I find it funny to see them both being nominated this year.I hope Rachel will come at the awards,she's been a bit too scarce lately.

I can't believe Borat was nominated for best screenplay. Was any of that even scripted?!?

TheKiwi said:
I can't believe Borat was nominated for best screenplay. Was any of that even scripted?!?

I agree. I mean, it's not my cup of tea, but I can see how people find it funny. Still it's not award-worthy. It's only in there because it was so hyped, and only thanks to the people of Kazachstan protesting against it anyway. Very calculated and that's just so blah.

peacelover142002 said:
The youngest is actually Justin Henry, who was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for Kramer vs. Kramer in 1980 when he was only 8 years old.
The younges winner. Henry was nominated but didn't won.

so happy for djimoun and ryan even though they won't win :(

eddie murphy ftw though

My Choices

Best Picture
Will Win: Babel
Should Win: The Departed

Best Actor
Will Win: Forrest Whittaker
Should Win: Forrest Whittaker

Best Actress
Will Win: Helen Mirren
Should Win: Mirren or Streep, both were phenomenal

Best Sup. Actor
Will Win: Alan Arkin
Should Win: Eddie Murphy

Best Sup. Actress
Will Win: Jennifer Hudson
Should Win: Jennifer Hudson or Abigail Breslin

Tushka_BeLLa said:
The Globes are notorious for making ridiculous choices for nominations and wins.

The Oscars are not too far behind either. Queen Latifah(!) was actually nominated for an Oscar a few years back.

I'm surprised myself ...Brad's performance was very good... agreed though, 2006 was by far the best year for movies...

xtine888 said:
Kind of disappointed with the nominations:

3, No Brad for "Babel." Boo.

2006 was actually a pretty good year for the movies.

Spiral1532 said:
The Globes are notorious for making ridiculous choices for nominations and wins.

Agree. I think it was a joke that the movie that won Best foreign movie, was produced in america and directed by an american director. bullsh*t. I mean, Eastwood and Spielberg received the award. Unbelievable. :angry: :furious: :censored:

Here are my choices/predictions:

Actor in a Leading Role
Should Win: Leonardo DiCaprio
Will Win: Forest Whitaker

Actor in a Supporting Role
Should Win: Djimon Hounsou
Will Win: Alan Arkin

Actress in a Leading Role
Should Win: Penelope Cruz
Will Win: Helen Mirren

Actress in a Supporting Role
Should Win: Jennifer Hudson