Pop Fall / Winter 2010 : Britney Spears by Todd Cole & Takashi Murakami

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by honeycombchild, Aug 24, 2010.

1. McQueezy

McQueezy Member

I got this today, I'll start writing a review.
    It's another awesome issue. Much better than the last.

2. Carla-A

Carla-A starving hysterical naked

Jacquelyn Jablonski by Sean & Seng for POP Fall/Winter 2010

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

fashiongonerogue

3. GERGIN

GERGIN Well-Known Member

My heart stopped beating, this is like an amazing kind of tacky, must must must get this.

4. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

If only the current Valentino campaign had looked something like that, I'd have bought into the idea of a new 'girlish' aesthetic for the brand. A fresh young face in slightly eerie settings, it's a sophisticated ghost story.

5. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

What a good riddance for POP Katie Grand was.. I LOVE this!. :heart:

6. McQueezy

McQueezy Member

main editorials:

Blonde Ambition
    Photography: Jamie Morgan
    Fashion: Tamara Rothstein
    Models: Pretty much every blonde top model in the world and more;
    Sigrid Agren, Brooklyn Decker, Diana Farkhullina, Marloes Horst, Ymre Stiekema, Hanne Gaby, Erin Axtell, Doutzen Kroes, Tori Parver, Ylonka Verheul, Frida Gustavsson, Abbey Lee, Valentina Zeliaeva, Hana Soukupova, Vlada Roslyakova, Lindsey Wixson, Naomi Preizler, Kirsten Owen, Maryna Linchuk, Jenny Sinkaberg, Jana K, Constance Jablonski, Antonella Graef, Patricia Van Der Vliet, Eniko Mihalik, Kirsty Hume, Kirby Kenny, Shirley Mallman, Elyse Taylor, Lily Donaldson, Carmen Kass, Candice Swanepoel, Hanne Bruening and Julia Stegner.
    One shot each in a studio, mostly wearing white.

Gstaad. High
    Photography: Tung Walsh
    Model: Catherine McNeil

Moscow. Protection
    Photography: Hellen Van Meene
    Models:Eugenia Skvortsova & Luka at Grace, Alina Krasina & Veranika Antispava at Ford, Leila at IQ, Stasya Izyumova at Avant, Drozdova Marina at Fashion.su
    (these girls all look crazy young :huh:)

Rome. Savage
    Photography: Sean & Seng
    Models:Eniko Mihalik & Tetyana Melnychuk

Cairo. Return
    Photography: Adam Broomberg & Oliver Chanarin
    Fashion: Vanessa Reid
    boys in girls' clothing, with interspersed interiors shots.

Snoop In The Hamptons
    Photography: Tyrone Lebon
    Fashion: Max Pearmain
    Models: Betty Adewole & Sana Belal at Models 1, Taii at Premier, Cassie Machado

Who? How? How Much?
    Photography: René Habermacher
    Fashion: Isabelle Kountoure
    Models: Alana Zimmer, Ann Kenny
    Feature on Hakaan, Altazurra & Pedro Lourenco. Shot on location in Greece at the Dionysos Marble Quarry. It's really beautiful.

The Next Act. Valentino
    Photography: Sean & Seng
    Fashion: Isabelle Kountoure
    Models: Jacquelyn Jablonski

There's also a pull out bookzine with Cindy Sherman modelling vintage Chanel couture :heart:

I'm a total Pop fanboy since Dasha took over so my opinion is a bit meaningless but I really love this issue. The styling is wonderful, the photographers are almost all new to me and the model castin is fantastic, with a few exceptions.
    The fronyt of book stuff has had a big redesign, though I think that's just because the first half of the issue has a Tokyo theme so they tried to make it look like a japanese mag.

#66 McQueezy, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited by moderator : Aug 24, 2010
  7. xerq

xerq !

oh my, content sounds very exciting!

8. tanii94

tanii94 Active Member

Can't wait for Blonde Ambition!:woot: So many of my favs in there. Julia, Doutzen, Lily, Elyse, Frida, Constance, Lindsey.. Too bad no Stam or Trentini.:(

9. KatJenahMckey

KatJenahMckey Active Member

Loving the cast for this issue! :clap:
    Cannot wait to see the Moscow ed and the one with Tety :wub:

10. masquerade

masquerade God Save McQueen

It's too literal for me. I know it's Murakami and he is literal as hell, but if I want a Japanese magazine, I'll buy Fruits.

Britney looks like a mannequin, which actually fits the theme but I just feel depressed looking at her. She is dead behind the eyes and I can't help but think about her history and if she really wants to do this. It just makes me sad.

I am interesting in the Cindy Sherman minizine or whatever it is in there.

11. blueorchid

blueorchid you soft and only

How did they get decent models for this issue?

12. melfreya

melfreya Active Member

I love this!!:heart: The little photo on the cover with the Starbucks drink !:lol: So kitch!! So amazing!!

13. indepwe

indepwe New Member

I hate everything aabout it. What does she look like? Like a 12 year old version of Courtney Love.

14. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

I love Dasha's POP. I like that there is an obvious yet earnest effort put forth by the magazine staff to do things differently...whether or not it always works is besides the point. At least it's not stale and formulaic.

These Britney covers are awesome. I adore them.

15. TREVOFASHIONISTO

TREVOFASHIONISTO Active Member

cannot wait to get this
    i loved the issue with Abbey lee on
    the cover so this is probably
    a lot better

16. VogueParisLover

VogueParisLover New Member

It looks so cool! The covers are amazing (even if Britney doesn't look the greatest) and the editorials sound superb! :heart:

17. missbluejean

missbluejean New Member

Agreed. What I like most about Dasha's Pop is that they don't rely on contributing editors to save the magazine from being a total waste of paper - which I think is what Love is successfully doing. :innocent:

18. vavavinny

vavavinny Active Member

These have to be some of the most fascinating magazine covers I have seen all year. Britney's role in popular culture has always intrigued me, particularly after her epic public breakdown. Like Marilyn Monroe before her, Britney is a tragic figure who was built up by the public around her only to be sacrificed later on, a sort of a sacrificial virgin. I think the way Britney is represented on these covers both reinforce and feed into this image. On one cover, she is a subservient bride, passively looking up to the viewer with her piercing sad eyes that shield her inner emotional turmoil. She is sweetly and saccharinely smiling, but the grin is forced and fake. Her tousled hair and dissheveled appearance--which is very similar to the way that Britney appears in public nowadays-- suggest that all is not as it may appear to be. On the other cover, she takes on the role of the teenage sex bomb, a role she so perfectly embodied when she first arrived on the pop scene more than 10 years ago. In a way, she is playing her former self. In addition, she does not have the same dead look here as she does on the first cover. On this cover, she looks more sultry than sedated. She coquettishly ogles and teases the viewer much like she did on her infamous Rolling Stone cover. In my opinion, the two covers sum up Britney's life in two different images which, when combined, tell a consecutive story. Britney started off as the teenage sex-bomb, but then was eventually forced to become the subservient (sacrificial) bride by the world around her.

I am probably reading too much into this, but I really do think the mise-en-scene and costumes invite some sort of interpretation that goes beyond the whole Japanese schoolgirl theme. Britney was specifically chosen for these covers for a reason and the way she is depcited, in my opinion, was carefully thought out. These images actually remind me of Warhol's garishly colored paintings of Marilyn Monroe (particularly the use of tacky, kitschy aesthetics and also the fact that Britney, who is sort of a modern day Marilyn, is the one being depicted), which, of course, commented on Monroe's own role as an icon and a tragic figure. Maybe the Warhol paintings served as some sort of inspiration?

#78 vavavinny, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited by moderator : Aug 24, 2010
  19. MyNameIs

MyNameIs Active Member

I love it. It took me a little bit, but I feel like I 'get' it (lol). Seriously though, I think it may just be the best cover Britney has ever done. I agree with the above post, the combination of Britney and this style cover is not a chance occurrence, rather it was intentional. I think it's going to become iconic with time, even if not everyone likes it right now.

20. Caswell

Caswell New Member

I don't really know how to describe my feelings about the covers. They're haunting, sexy, submissive, and captivating. When I first saw these covers I didn't care for them too much, but I keep wanting to see them again and again.

These covers stand out so much more than other magazines' covers. Great work by Pop and great use of Britney Spears (I still love her).