POP Spring/Summer 2010 : Abbey Lee Kershaw by Richard Prince

^ I looked around London today and couldn't find it in any of the usual places...

Mhmmm this looks very promising! Can't wait to see the "This is POP C.R.E.A.M" ed :flower:

Hmm. I'll try again today. I went to the place McQueezy got his copy from later in the day and they had none, so it could just be they'd all sold!

who are these fashion editors?? i don't think their work can carry a bi-annual. the whole fashion section reminds me of tank magazine! i think dasha definately brings a fresh perspective to the magazine, but that idea that it's an art/fashion crossover doesn't come through. the contributors to the issue seem haphazzard, esp if the Juergen Teller story was a dropped campaign. in the war between love and pop that seems to be going on i can't help but feel that they both lose. just give us some exciting fashion imagery. PLEASE!

I do love it! and I can feel that Abbey Lee grows up very well. I mean, when she made her debut, I didn't think she would be a top model, BUT now she is. Abbey's really really cool. So is the cover.

Some previews

Abbey Lee, Sessilee and Kelly by Richard Prince
[shala.thepop.com]

I found it today on a newstand, but the WHSmith's in Selfridges, which is usually really well stocked, still didn't have it.

I absolutely LOVE it. I think my favourite part so far is the article with Mrs Burstein from Browns.. I think the magazine feels fresh, uncluttered and understated. It just feels less try-hard then Katie's POP. I don't see any correlation with Tank at all...

Also, for everyone who is still seeking an issue, try Magma on Earlham St in Covent Garden.... It's right by the Bauer building (POP publishers) which might be why they had such a huge delivery!

who are these fashion editors?? i don't think their work can carry a bi-annual.
Well, perhaps a publication that generates such high expectation as POP shouldn't be the right place to test waters but I like the fact that Dasha seems to be giving new talents like Vanessa Reid the risky chance of having an important outlet to show her work and certainly all the liberties (financial and creative) that otherwise, considering her limited experience prior to the last issue, wouldn't probably be receiving in an industry with thousands of aspiring editors, few real talents and only a handful of well-connected stylists that are continually rotated and show up in the same publications month after month as if it were a life-and-death issue to give someone new an opportunity.. it really isn't much different than Panos or Olivier's first stories at publications with more adventurous editors-in-chief and the good (and raw) results they turned.
I don't know if Dasha can sing victory yet, all I know is that while Katie keeps giving us a lesson of what 20 years in fashion can teach you in terms of immediate, predictable, eye-impacting, empty hype (Naked Supermodels/Controversial-looking lead singer by Mert&Marcus?), Dasha seems to have taken her experience in the art world and inexperience in fashion in her favor and played things a bit (with good to questionable results) from what appears to be the side of an actual magazine reader who wants to see new designers, new ideas and hopefully some celebration of individuality in their stories, which I think is more valuable at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->