Prada - What Went Wrong?

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by gazebo, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Lol! Another article about Prada and always the same analysis...
    Maybe they should come on TFS to really see what they are doing wrong.
    Digital this, digital that...It’s not like their ships are full. This false narrative that you have to have everything to digital is pointless...

Benn98 likes this.
  2. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

“It took months and months,” he said. “We had to show some employees how to use smartphones. We had to train people on how data could be used to improve our business. But they love Prada and want it to thrive and now have an understanding of what we have to do. I am young and I am positive: if I wasn’t, I wouldn’t be able to do this job.”

This is sad. And you wonder why brands are all so soulless now...because you’ve plugged people who once used their brains into a smartphone, expecting everything to be solved because now they have access to a spreadsheet on their phone?

YohjiAddict, Lalippity, Frida and 2 others like this.
  3. Mutterlein

Mutterlein Well-Known Member

Considering how much media and product consumption is done on smartphones... if you have people in the company who don't know how to use them, you're in serious trouble.

It's like if it's the 1950s and a company needs to advertise on tv but they don't even know how to change the channel on a tv set. How do they expect to compete in that domain? They obviously have no idea how to speak or interact with the customer.

They were shockingly slow to digital. But it doesn't matter if you have an omnichannel experience, a 360 strategy, influencer campaigns, bite size, snack size, or meal size digital content...whatever... if your brand is out of touch and your product is undesirable it won't do anything for you.

I believe, at the core, they need a major adjustment to their brand marketing strategy and their product development, namely the creative. They need better storytelling, they need stronger design leadership. Get some top level design directors to work under Miuccia and overhaul the product range. Get a new agency to handle their their campaigns. They might need to rethink their PR, too. Pay they them whatever they ask for.

Oh. And they need to hire a god damn chief of diversity for christ sakes so that things like those racist as hell monkey keychains don't happen again. They were the last straw for me, so despicably and blatantly racist I swore the brand off forever.

Lola701 likes this.
  4. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

After the keychain debacle they’ve really pushed for more diversity. The casting of the shows is more diverse than any other brand without looking forced. They’ve also brought in outside help. I can see why the keychain may have angered people, but it wasn’t intentional. It just proved how clueless they were. They’ve made amends and are working on it. That’s admirable.

Prada announces the Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Council

#104 GivenchyHomme, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    YohjiAddict, JessRubik and Lola701 like this.
  5. Mutterlein

That is all well and good but it’s a bit of a placebo. Makes a lot of noise but doesn’t actually treat the issue. They can sign on as many unofficial brand ambassadors of color as they want but it won’t change the company culture. They need someone in-house who is part of the day to day.

Benn98 likes this.
  6. Mutterlein

What the writer fails to realize is that 70% of fashion journalism is about blowing smoke up the reader's @$$ to appease advertisers and that Prada essentially paid for their spot on the top 10 list all those years. Critics and reporters can say anything but it's the buyers and the customers who whose verdicts really matter and they spoke a somewhat different story.

7. RaisinBoy

RaisinBoy Active Member

There's a rumor that Prada is collaborating with Adidas on a sneaker release that should be out very soon.

If that is true, I will probably lose the last grain of respect I have for the brand.

8. dior_couture1245

It’s so over for Prada.

They’ve debased themselves so much over the last several years that I just don’t foresee a recovery...at least not for a very long time.

Even so...the whole thing becomes so tainted. When you build a consistent reputation for high levels of sophistication, to then, after a good two decades, begin to pander to the lowest common taste level, the whole legacy becomes spoiled in a way because you have to wonder...how genuine were you all along? Or if you were genuine up until this point, why so eager to sell out? Not a good reflection of character of Miuccia as a designer. I’ve lost respect for her, and now find her intellectualizing explanations of her recent collections...which were once a fascinating insight into her mind...I now find them to be exhausting and phony. I mean...there’s absolutely no way I’m going to be able to take seriously any reasoning or complex thought process that lead her to that Frankenstein collection, for example.

Globalism takes another victim.

YohjiAddict and Frida like this.
  9. RaisinBoy

RaisinBoy Active Member

I agree with your post completely and if the Prada Adidas thing is real (which I believe it is), it could really mean the beginning of the end of the brand. (I, for one, think their business is still sustainble at this point.)

But I wouldn't blame globalism on Prada's fall. If they hadn't been so greedy in the 2000s and early-2010s, they could have a private company now that doesn't have to air all its failures. You can operate hundreds of stores globally, have digital presence and be relevant even when you're private. They wouldn't have to chase every stupid trend and instead do their thing and wait for the right moment to emerge again as a trendsetter, which is something I believe Miuccia was trying to do with the women's SS2020 collection. Mind you, the 2020s are going to be very bourgeois.

Also, I can't shake off the feeling that since Miuccia's son joined the company, the whole brand got even worse.

Lola701 likes this.
  10. Pricciao

Pricciao Well-Known Member

Why the 2020s are going to be bourgeois?

11. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

That's not how they're spinning it though. It's all 'new energy, fresh point of view', lol.
    Still too soon to tell, I reckon.
    In his defense and from a marketing pov, the brand is back on the streetwear hype list and the Asian market's 'must-have' lists again, which would explain why they'd jump in bed with Adidas. They want stay there, seemingly.

YohjiAddict likes this.
  12. gazebo

gazebo Well-Known Member

Because the 10's were so street.

13. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

If you guys can’t ride with Prada through the tough times then you were never fans at all. Don’t get me wrong, I agree with everything that’s been said. I too greatly dislike the the image they’ve presented of themselves over the last few years, but that’s not reflective of the entire brand. Unfortunately, that will ultimately be her undoing. The sad truth is we live in a superficial time. Prada as a brand is legendary, but no one cares about the past. It's all about what's presented right in front of us. Just look at what happened with Celine, with a snap of Hedi's fingers Phoebe was instantly erased. Now it's all about Hedi. The same goes for Dior, Givenchy, and Balenciaga. Their histories are rich and luxe, the total opposite of today. Where they succeed is their marketing. The products are bland and mediocre, but they are heavily marketed to perfection. It's the right song for the moment. Were Kering and LVMH sing, Prada screams hysterically. They've put all their eggs in one basket. You simply can't market bad products. The Frankenstein collection was a lukewarm offering with nothing desirable to sell. Was the publicity even worth it? They can't be followers, it's not what the brand is. They grew into a mega brand by remaining completely original. They have all the ingredients for success, but no recipe to go off of. Prada is stuck in limbo. They either need to tone it down and market themselves strategically, or start innovating again. Instagram, blogs, and influencers are great for 5 minutes, but what comes after that?

14. Melancholybaby

Melancholybaby Well-Known Member

Desperately grasping for relevance

jeanclaude likes this.
  15. jeanclaude

jeanclaude Well-Known Member

I expect Prada for H&M in the near future...

rip_ian curtis and Benn98 like this.
  16. RaisinBoy

RaisinBoy Active Member

I actually thought it was just a rumor given how the 2020 collections and campaign look.

Also, it's pretty cynical from Prada to upload this on Instagram right after those sustainability posts...

jeanclaude likes this.
  17. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Prada x adidas Unveil Details About Their New Sneaker Collab, Arriving This December

After officially confirming the collaboration yesterday, Prada and adidas have unveiled new details about the project. In a joint statement shared with Highsnobiety, the two brands reveal they are joining forces for a long-term collaboration, with the first joint sneaker dropping this December.

The project’s aim is to “investigate the realms of heritage, technology and innovation — and to challenge conventional wisdom through unexpected strategies.” It will draw from both brand’s archives and specifically combine their joint heritage in sport, from Prada’s Luna Rossa sailing gear to adidas’ innovation in sport.

The first release will include two limited-edition styles for men and women, which will be made in Italy by Prada. The brands also promise the release of new Luna Rossa sailing footwear, to be unveiled in 2020.

Prada confirmed the unexpected “Prada for adidas and adidas Originals” sneaker collab yesterday. Posting a teaser shot to Instagram, the luxury fashion house revealed its link-up via a simple shot of two adidas sneaker boxes inside a Prada bag. The image already hinted at a two-piece sneaker collab, one performance pair and one set of adidas Originals.
    Now the rumors of an “adidas Prada Sailing” shoe that have been whispered about for the last few weeks have finally been confirmed. And as Prada and adidas revealed in their joint statement, we don’t have to wait too long for this release — “the journey begins soon.”

As always, more information will come as we get it.

Highsnobiety

18. dior_couture1245

“[To] investigate the realms of heritage, technology and innovation — and to challenge conventional wisdom through unexpected strategies.”

Wow. Miuccia can shove that quote right back up her ass.

19. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I reckon this is all the Prada Prince probably forcing his parents to 'get with the times' in a move which Virgil Abloh would applaud. The entire collab is basically the brand making amends and courting the streetwear set because one of the main reasons why they're not 'relevant' was because of lack of street cred. Hence Highsnobiety and Hypebeast getting first-hand releases before everyone else.

In the immortal words of Piccioli:

I will say Valentino is a beautiful brand, but being beautiful today is not enough. I think you have to be relevant for the moment, but cool is a difficult word. If you try hard to be cool, you will never be cool. My children never talk about coolness. You’re cool or you’re not cool. You don’t have to try.

YohjiAddict, GERGIN and reese06 like this.
  20. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

The irony...He is trying too hard to be cool...
    Undercover/Valentino...