Prada : What Went Wrong?

I return to these four first looks of the last resort show:

This is what I need from Prada and I think this what they need too; and these show that it is somewhere in there and even they know this is the direction they need to take - after all these are the opening looks of the show. They just need to go for it right now in full force with confidence.

The thing is that they are expecting instant gratification. The 365 strategy is not working. It wasn't a gradual transition, they threw everything at us at once. Fashion Fatigue has surely set in. It's resulting in a vey cold and calculated image. The brand needs warmth and soul. That's why Gucci is so successful. The love and passion is behind the product and the stores. Prada & Co. really need to take into consideration the entire experience from the runway to the sales floor. On a positive note, those four looks feel authentic and chic. They look so effortless and well thought out. That first look on Julia is perfection, minus the hat of course. Baby steps I suppose.

Prada slips in China as Louis Vuitton and Gucci power ahead

By Michelle Toh, CNN Business

Updated 1406 GMT (2206 HKT) March 18, 2019

China is one of the world's biggest markets for luxury goods, and Chinese shoppers at home and abroad make up almost a third of purchases globally, according to McKinsey.
As the value of China's currency has declined, "consumers just haven't been buying as much overseas this year," said Ben Cavender, an analyst at China Market Research.
The lackluster results come at a turbulent time for Prada. The Italian fashion house's stock price has fallen more than 36% over the last year.
The company isn't alone in suffering from the slowdown in the world's second biggest economy. In recent months a number of global companies, from Apple (AAPL) to Caterpillar (CAT) to Nvidia(NVDA), have felt the impact on their earnings.
But some luxury brands are doing better. Earlier this year, LVMH (LVMH), the owner of Louis Vuitton and Dior, posted record sales for 2018 and raised its dividend by 20%.

'Behind the curve'

Analysts say that Prada has fallen behind its competitors. They say it hasn't invested enough to create a unique experience for customers and hasn't rolled out new products fast enough to create buzz.
The company is working to put this right, but it has some catching up to do to compete with brands like Gucci, which is owned by French luxury group Kering (KER).

"Both Kering and LVMH have been able to invest very heavily into store renovations, visual merchandising, and digital strategy in China which has made it easier for them to generate mainland China sales," said Cavender. "Prada was behind the curve."
Luca Solca, an analyst at Bernstein, said that Prada still has some work to do in "trying to connect with the younger consumer group — especially in China."
"I believe this is the most important divide between brands like LV and Gucci, who have adapted their marketing mix faster and more effectively to millennials," he said.

Prada has made some inroads over the last year. Cavender notes that the company "has been more aggressive with product launches," and it recently relaunched a website for one of its most popular brands, Miu Miu, in Europe.
The company says it is planning to launch e-commerce offerings for both Prada and Miu Miu in new markets this year, and recently created channels to boost its "brand engagement" on South Korean messaging app Kakao and music streaming platform Spotify (SPOT).
"I think a lot of cost has gone into trying to make the brand relevant again to consumers," said Cavender. "But the sales are not coming back as quickly as Prada would like."

CNN.com

3 years and the brand is still struggling.
First of all, going public was a mistake. I mean look at Dolce & Gabbana or Armani, they are still private and can handle the troubles of their brands quietly.
With big brands, the constant illusion of success attract people.

When you constantly hear that Prada is struggling, you see the prices and the collections, it’s really hard to be attracted to that.

China as a market for luxury will slowdown for everybody that’s why it’s dangerous to put all your efforts on one place. You have Korea, Japan that are still important markets.

For Prada, the problem is simple: products. Prada has a lot of boring and serious products. There needs to be a serious design revolution there...Like the one Fendi had in the late 00´s.

The Galleria bag is The bag for the international women working in the offices. You go to Lagos, to Hong Kong, to NYC and have a serious business meeting. You will likely see a woman with a galleria but that’s it. It’s a pragmatic bag.
When a woman wants to splurge, she goes to Chanel, Vuitton or even Gucci....Because their bags are fun and fashionable.

Their RTW is not really directional, cool, fun or sexy. It’s trying to hard to be intellectual...
When you spend that much money on clothing, you wants to look cool, fashionable, sexy or fun.
There was something about Prada in the past that was a bit like Chanel. When you buy Chanel, you know you’ll keep it forever, it might never be out of style. I have pieces from Prada from 2007 that are more interesting than the stuff they are doing today.

Miuccia needs to shake-up her design team. They needs to make real statement decisions. They started to do resort shows but without the grandeur of a resort show. What’s the point?
Even the nostalgia thing didn’t helped them. I thought that it was for them but Fendi took the cake.

Yes - it's quite clear that Prada has completely lost their footing, and what's worse is that it seems as though they are belligerently keeping course...if their Fall/Winter 2019 collections were any indication. Total jokes.

Lola, you're totally right about older Prada - it was so classic and timeless in the way buying into Chanel is. Look back at any Prada collection pre-2014 and you'll see that most everything looks as beautiful, chic and classy as the day it was shown...even as far back as her 90's collections. What woman (or man) still wouldn't look fantastic if they walked out of the house wearing something from Prada 2003? Or 1999? Or 2006? They are really timeless clothes.

I think the Monkeys and Bananas collection was the beginning of the end in way though...a few good collections followed, but I think the success of that collection convinced internal teams that anything "cartoon" is good and will sell...it's very clear that there's been an incessant push for everything that is produced by Prada has to be "cartoon." As a one-off at the time - it worked. But almost 10 years later, the cartoon strategy is really pitiful and embarrassing. Everything at Prada now is a gimmick...the name tags, the hideous silicon logo variations, the vintage print mash-ups, the comic strip prints, the Frankenstein prints...oh GOD, the Frankenstein prints...WHY?!

Anyway...what I think is difficult about the whole situation is that it will be very tough for Prada to recover. Her brand was built on the intelligence, sophistication and classicism. A real grown up sensibility. She's thrown that completely out the window to chase fickle millennial social media types. That's a bit hard to forgive. She will have to go blank slate. Fire the entire design team. Fire the stylists. Fire the merchandising team. Fire Willy. Get rid of them all. There's no other way.

When people talk about Prada capturing everyone’s attention, I think of the way she used to make collections ahead of the trends, ahead of what everyone else was doing.

When I think of times like Spring 2007, the trends were pale shades, lace, metallics, and she makes a satin 1940’s style collection. Fall 2009 was about 1980’s decadence and she makes leather gladiator dresses and matching wool jackets and briefs. She would just design what she was feeling in the moment and always switching things up. But we still knew it was hers. We knew it was Prada.

Now she seems content to spin out variations of the same shapes and stuck in a rut of predictability. To capture an audience again she needs to think ahead of the curve, and start pushing for what she thinks the world will be want. Push for a difference!

I think the Monkeys and Bananas collection was the beginning of the end in way though...a few good collections followed, but I think the success of that collection convinced internal teams that anything "cartoon" is good and will sell...it's very clear that there's been an incessant push for everything that is produced by Prada has to be "cartoon." As a one-off at the time - it worked. But almost 10 years later, the cartoon strategy is really pitiful and embarrassing. Everything at Prada now is a gimmick...the name tags, the hideous silicon logo variations, the vintage print mash-ups, the comic strip prints, the Frankenstein prints...oh GOD, the Frankenstein prints...WHY?!

That collection was a huge success!
It’s hard maybe to imagine today but at the time, It was huge.
Prada has done prints and wonderful ones (s/s2008 fo example) but they were always a bit abstract, fashion was different and so those kind of intellectual prints were wonderful.

What changed with S/S 2011 was how naive and almost regressive it was. It was maybe the first time since the lips and the pills that she has done something so eye-catching and easy to understand.

And when I say that the collection was a huge hit, it’s because each piece was collectible! First of all, the collection was all cotton, bold colors, easy shapes!
Then simple but eye-catching stripes, te monkeys, the bananas...Then, the accessories: sunglasses, platform shoes, the infamous wingtips brogues and the fur stoles!

I remember that Prada sold the sunglasses for maybe 2 years. They are still selling luggages with the banana prints and I think the Wingtips were available in stores for almost 8 years. I own 5 pairs of them and the last time I bought a pair was in 2017!

So yes, it was great because it was the first time that Prada was fun and joyful!

Unfortunately, as you said, they used that formula to death! It worked with the Cars collection but it became ridiculous already with the S/S 2014 collection.

What I think is funny is that people are doing nostalgia but they mostly go back to an era that has a emotional connection with consumers: Versace with the early 90’s, Fendi with the late 90’s and early 00’s....etc.
Prada, instead of going back to the early 00´s, she went to her closest commercial success. The collections she always reference lately are from this decade... It shows the desperation.

The only thing that could save her?
Go back to glamour! The ugly pretty, chunky shoe thing is oversaturated! And logos was never Prada anyway...She build her success in the early 00’s for being the Anti Vuitton and Dior.

I don’t know if they are really understanding what’s going on...

^^YES!

I remember how much of a success it was...I mean...it was practically a phenomenon!

It worked so well at the time, and it STILL works so well on repeat viewing, because it played with naïveté and humor and the cartoon with extreme precision, conviction, balance and restraint. It was executed masterfully. It did not treat the customer like an idiot. She knew those clothes still had to work on an adult woman.

And if you go back and read reviews, Miuccia’s intention was the feeling for a need to be bold. That’s exactly what people didn’t know they wanted at the time. And that’s why it was a hit.

She doesn’t know what people want right now. If she did...God knows she wouldn’t be sending out that wretched Frankenstein print like she did a few weeks ago.

I know I keep ripping on that specific print so hard, but to me it really is indicative of Prada being at total rock bottom. It could not be more tasteless and unintelligent.

God I loved that Spring 2011 collection. I made a hundred mock up editorials using pieces from that collection and never grew tired of it, it was exactly what was needed at that moment. I also remember going to Italy for the first time that year and seeing one of the striped fur stoles in the Prada window in Rome.. I still long for one of those and will probably get one some day. Ah, memories.

IMHO after Manuela Pavesi died Prada went downhill even worse, she was a key consulant for them non?

The role of Manuela Pavesi at Prada has been totally underestimated before and after her passing away. She was a person of incredible, quasi-supernatural taste and visual culture who, alongside Miuccia, probably could stand up to the silly requests of the marketing team.
You can sniff a tad of desperation, or at least creative fault, in everyone of the collection Miuccia sent out in the last few years, but I can't blame her entirely: the push to make money with millennials is now too hard to resist for la Sig.ra Miuccia alone (a mature, intelligent, cultivated woman who probably doesn't care a thing about what millennials want); plus, nobody inside the design team is challenging her in any sort of way. And it shows...

And so, yet again, the reshuffling begins.......

Prada CEO Says Brand Will "Stop Doing Markdowns" Beginning ... Now

March 18, 2019 TFL

The devil does not buy marked-down Prada, at least not at its main stores. The Milan-based fashion brand – which has been doubling down on a sweeping revamp that has ranged from a complete reworking of its marketing strategy to its product offerings, themselves (to include some slightly more accessible handbags and the like) – announced that it will do away with end of the season sales in what Reuters calls “a bid to boost margins and protect its brand after achieving revenue growth in 2018 for the first time in four years.”

“We decided to stop doing markdowns from 2019 onwards,” Prada’s chief executive officer Patrizio Bertelli said in a conference call on Friday. “We believe that this decision is actually going to strengthen the brand’s image and in particular, it’s going to guarantee higher margins for us.” And analysts agree. Bernstein’s Luca Solca told Reuters that he “welcomes the move to end the seasonal promotions.”

With sales on their way out of Prada’s 600-plus stores worldwide, one of the immediate questions becomes: what is Prada to do with its unsold wares? While Bertelli did not speak to this point, in all likelihood, it will be business as usual – more-or-less – for unsold nylon bags, footwear, and the house’s “ugly chic” ready-to-wear. The products will shift to different stores, ones that are not listed on the fashion brand’s website alongside its marquee outposts, but instead, come on the form of a smattering of outlets that Prada maintains in different locales across the globe, from its famous SPACE site on the outskirts of Florence to its domestic outpost at New York’s Woodbury Commons.

While brands tend to keep the lucrative closeout aspects of their businesses under wraps, whether it be the operation of outlet stores or their largely unspoken willingness to let products “slip” into the grey market, these activities are significant for brands from a bottom line perspective.

Take Bicester Village in the United Kingdom, for instance. Located near Oxford, the upscale outlet destination boasts a directory of stores that includes Dior, Fendi, Saint Laurent, and Prada, of course, among others. The product of London-based Value Retail, a privately-held company that specializes in the development and operation of luxury outlet shopping “Villages” in Europe and China, Bicester Village welcomes an estimated two-thirds of all Chinese visitors that visit Britain, per SCMP.

These eager bargain-hunting consumers help brands like Prada to offload their unsold, out-of-season wares, sales that translate directly to the brand’s bottom line.

More than that, though, the practice of only offering – and thus, only selling – full-priced items in its main stores enables a brand to boost its margins (the percentage of sales turned into profits) for full-priced items, something that all luxury brands are routinely looking to do.

This is something that Prada, in particular, has struggled with, Manfred Abraham, chief executive of BrandCap, a London management consultancy, told the Financial Times in 2017. Sale items are a quick way to boost revenues, and Prada fell victim to that temptation, “eroding the brand by selling things [in its main brick-and-mortar locations] at a discount that people should still have been paying full price for.”

Meanwhile, he said, “Shoppers were less likely to find Gucci or Louis Vuitton fashions at a discount so soon after the [seasonal runway] shows.” This is set to change now that Prada will move items out of stores before slashing prices.

Beyond the sheer ability to rid themselves of old products in a relatively discreet way, maintaining a network of outlets allows brands to carefully control their image, a critical element of the luxury trade. Last year, on the heels of reported growth in full-priced sales and improved gross margins, The Robin Report theorized that for Prada, especially, “it’s possible that having formidable outlet stores in which to sell overstock gives [the brand the ability to] keep any whiff of promotion out of the full-line boutiques,” which is precisely what Bertelli seemed to be getting at in saying that ousting sale goods will “strengthen the brand’s image.”

While the move away from mark-downs will, in fact, take a toll on Prada’s “total revenue growth in the short term,” according to Solca, in the long-run, a clean and clear separation of full-priced looks and sale items will – ideally – allow Prada to both boost its margins and protect itself from the dilution from which it has been suffering so significantly over the past several years.

As for Bertelli, he “remains confident” that Prada “will see excellent results and performance.”

The Fashion Law

Ture Prada went IPO in Hong Kong stock market a few years ago. As a company listed on the market, they have to maintain very hard to keep an high like double-digit growth rate...which is very difficult for them. Creativity can't just turn into sales number that easily...

And what's the point of doing so when you have hundreds of wholesale accounts worldwide who can do pretty much what they want with their Prada stock?

And what's the point of doing so when you have hundreds of wholesale accounts worldwide who can do pretty much what they want with their Prada stock?

That's fine, I suppose, as long as it's not in a branded Prada store. Ultimately it does make sense. Nothing can tarnish a brand as much as a huge 'seasonal sale' push. Most of the brands doing well don't even get to sale stage. You'd be hard-pressed to find Gucci on sale.

That's fine, I suppose, as long as it's not in a branded Prada store
I feel like they are trying all sort of strategies, kind of headless chicken way. Comparisons with Gucci aside, the no-sale strategy really works if you can control the stock both in-house and with retailers (or, better still, having no retailers at all, the LV/Chanel way), but I thought it was a bit weird of them to move from the zero-wholesale accounts of yore to being pretty much everywhere. I find their choices somewhat contradictory.

I feel like they are trying all sort of strategies, kind of headless chicken way. Comparisons with Gucci aside, the no-sale strategy really works if you can control the stock both in-house and with retailers (or, better still, having no retailers at all, the LV/Chanel way), but I thought it was a bit weird of them to move from the zero-wholesale accounts of yore to being pretty much everywhere. I find their choices somewhat contradictory.

I believe Prada started working with Net A Porter and Matches fairly recently, and I saw many Prada pieces included in their sale. It won’t make any sense when you can buy a Prada dress in their own store at full price only, and at the same time buy it with a discount from any of their on/off line wholesalers.
Another way to create even more confusion.

I haven’t liked a Prada collection since the Josephine Baker/hospital scrub collection from 2011.

Quite simply, I think Ms. Miuccia is out of touch and continuously misinterprets the zeitgeist.

I can’t seem to find the relevant thread right now, but it’s semi on-topic. Prada and Miu Miu announced that they’re going completely fur free by 2020. At this point the only big brands left are LVMH, right?

Yeah I saw that all over Instagram this morning.

More brands caving for the woke points.

As if Prada and Miu Miu weren’t completely lost already...now they’re a total goners.

As I said before, when you don’t sell that much one product, it’s easy to stop selling it!
At least Chanel was honest with their motive behind stopping fur and exotic skins.

That being said, this is a bit of a shock because Prada is the brand that has largely contributed to the return of fur in the forefront of fashion with their statement « seasonal furs ».

It’s funny how brands are suddenly very responsible when they are trying to have a better image and when they experiencing a slowdown.

Is the fur ban extended to shearling? They are stopping but not exotic skins...

Another marketing stunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snork
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->