Preventing a tan

Uchina

Reaction score
Summer is here, and I've grown to appreciate my light skintone. I'm a Mac NC-25, and way too cheap to buy new makeup. I apply facial sunscreen every day (even in the winter), and I'm wondering how I'll be able to prevent a tan this summer? I like wearing skirts and tank tops, so I don't want to cover up. Any help?

sunscreen
don't stay out in the sun for too long
seek shade

#60 sunsblock. Buy it, wear it, love it. This is what I do. I spend a LOT of time outdoors, cycling and gardening, and I stay pretty close to my natural skin-color all summer long. I like the Coppertone Sport #6o sunblock. It doesn't have much scent, and it's very thick, so it doesn't run into my eyes when I get sweaty. It's a bit greasy for the face, but I wear it on my face anyhow. I'd rather be shiny than wrinkly, ya know?

Avoid the sun as much as you can.
Wear sunblock liberally
Wear a wide brimmed hat when outdoors
Wear sunglasses

Try [SIZE=-1]La Roche-Posay Anthelios Fluide Extreme SPF 50+[/SIZE] or 60+ ...it's not sold in america, so you'll have to order it online. it's pretty expensive, but it's the strongest stuff on the market and one of the only sunscreens that effectively blocks uvas in addition to uvbs. if you apply it right, you won't tan (believe me). it also has a lighter, less greasy consistency than most sunscreens on the us market.[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

a few tips about applying sunscreen:
1) apply 20 mins before you go outside -- it takes that long for the skin to absorb it.
2) apply a ton (most people put on way too little)
3) reapply every hour that you're outside.

also wear good sunglasses.

not sure if normal sunscreens such as 15spf-30spf will help prevent a tan cus i tan really easily even though i wear sunscreen, it just helps me from getting burnt! but i know that if you cover up with some sort of physical protection such as a hat, long sleeved shirt, sunnies etc that will help. even though this isnt nesscesarily the best thing for your skin, its a fact that you will never get a tan if you are wearing lots of layers of foundation, powder etc cus the sunlight can't penetrate!

Where can you order La Roche-Posay online? Is there any online store that ships to Europe? Thanks to anyone who can help :flower:

I guess that another tip is to stay outside of the sun during peak hours, when the sun is at it's highest (ca. 12:00-15:00).
I use La Roche Posay too, only SPF 40 at the moment though, but it's really great! Get the Anthelios Gel if you can - it's still like a cream, but less greasy. (maybe that's the same thing as Fluide Extreme, which marqeemoon wrote about)

I want to avoid a tan not only to keep my fair skin tone in check, but also because it's healthier than a tan.

Sunblock is about the best thing you can do...I just use plain old Coppertone spray, and I love it. Don't forget to spray on forgettable areas... feet, ears, neck, and put SPF lip balm on your lips.

Hats are great if you're looking to protect your face.

marqueemoon said:
Try [SIZE=-1]La Roche-Posay Anthelios Fluide Extreme SPF 50+[/SIZE] or 60+ ...it's not sold in america, so you'll have to order it online. it's pretty expensive, but it's the strongest stuff on the market and one of the only sunscreens that effectively blocks uvas in addition to uvbs. if you apply it right, you won't tan (believe me). it also has a lighter, less greasy consistency than most sunscreens on the us market.

a few tips about applying sunscreen:
1) apply 20 mins before you go outside -- it takes that long for the skin to absorb it.
2) apply a ton (most people put on way too little)
3) reapply every hour that you're outside.

also wear good sunglasses.

Ooh marqueemoon, mine came in the mail today, and I can't wait to test it out for the first time tomorrow...but why is it almost $50 for such a small bottle?!! :shock: :shock: That was the lowest price I could find that looked legit (sadly I don't know how to use eBay). I hope it works because while I have very pale skin I also tan very well...after I finish burning and peeling, that is. :blink: I hope this helps me avoid all that--can't be good for my skin... oh and washing my face tonight I noticed that I have a wristwatch tan??! from just walking to and from class everyday! (5 minutes tops) :shock: My mom is going to shriek when she sees me.

Anyway thanks for your post!

sasscam said:
Where did you order yours from? :smile:

I ordered mine from:
http://skincarelab.stores.yahoo.net/
Click on La Roche-Posay in the menu on the left.

Initially I was wary about placing an order with a store I'd never heard of (I have this thing against buying things online, I don't know how to use eBay and I'm afraid that online stores are mostly scams) but mine came in the mail earlier than expected and seems to be the correct product...altho I gotta warn you it's a very small bottle for close to $50. I'm thinking it'll only last me 2 weeks or less??? if I use it everyday :( And one other thing, the smell is very chemical-like and...odd. But if it works and doesn't make my skin red or tan that's all I need. B)

galviggo said:
I ordered mine from:
http://skincarelab.stores.yahoo.net/
Click on La Roche-Posay in the menu on the left.

Initially I was wary about placing an order with a store I'd never heard of (I have this thing against buying things online, I don't know how to use eBay and I'm afraid that online stores are mostly scams) but mine came in the mail earlier than expected and seems to be the correct product...altho I gotta warn you it's a very small bottle for close to $50. I'm thinking it'll only last me 2 weeks or less??? if I use it everyday :( And one other thing, the smell is very chemical-like and...odd. But if it works and doesn't make my skin red or tan that's all I need. B)

gal, you can order it for much less on ebay. there's a woman i order from in spain. it's a total of $58.00 for two bottles ($44.00) and expedited shipping ($14.00). packages arrive from her in 3 days! she's very reliable. i was also wary of ebay at first, but it's actually easy to use for this kind of thing.
here she is:
Please do not link directly to eBay
don't forget to apply a lot and apply 20 minutes before you go out, and reapply regularly!

i sound like such a mom...

Last edited by a moderator:
Louna said:
Where can you order La Roche-Posay online? Is there any online store that ships to Europe? Thanks to anyone who can help :flower:

read my post above and check out user wasabina on ebay. that's the cheapest i've found.

marqueemoon said:
gal, you can order it for much less on ebay. there's a woman i order from in spain. it's a total of $58.00 for two bottles ($44.00) and expedited shipping ($14.00). packages arrive from her in 3 days! she's very reliable. i was also wary of ebay at first, but it's actually easy to use for this kind of thing.
here she is:
Please do not link directly to eBay
don't forget to apply a lot and apply 20 minutes before you go out, and reapply regularly!

i sound like such a mom...

Thanks marqueemoon, but I think I'm allergic to it! :cry: :cry: I'll try it again tomorrow to see. And is it supposed to smell so chemical-y? Most sunscreens have a very recognizable smell but this sunscreen doesn't smell like the others...

I love this thread. I too am pale and cheap and dont want to buy new makeup! :P

I just avoid going outdoors, or staying in shaded areas. Sometimes sunscreen if I need to be outside for a while. (And a note to people who dont want to prevent tans, still wear SPF, because skin cancer is no fun.)

Maybe a parasol would be in order? I've actually been thinking of getting one.

^I have several....ppl may laugh a little but hey, it keeps me tan-free! I like Clinique's factor 30 sunscreen. Or the kids factor 60 sunblock is excellent.

Oh...I have a parasol too....embarrased...Lol. It's pink. I have the Clinique one, it's really good, not all that greasy. A big floppy hat, perhaps? ^_^

Hellllp!

Does the UK sell La Roche Posay sunscreen and if so which vendors carry it? I haven't seen it in local Superdrugs or Boots. I'm here for the summer and I'm out...:(

Also, it's immune to extreme heat, right? I left a bottle in my car in Florida where it's routinely like 115 degrees in the car every afternoon (no joke). No seriously, I feel like the plastic container might melt and meld with the sunscreen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FR758
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->