Q&A: Best makeup brands

DancingQueen said:
Guerlain (minus the mascaras), Lancome (Mascaras), Mac, Tony&Tina cosmetics (herbal line, I love the Kohl eye pencils and their lipsticks:smile:, Chanel, Givenchy (wonderful powders)

Fashionista-ta, I haven't utilized Mac's recycle program in ages, can you remind me what the details are regarding the program. Thanks in advance!

Sure ... you save your plastic containers & for each 6 you get a free lipstick of your choice. The whole container has to be plastic, not just the lid, and the bag the mascara comes in doesn't count. Some stores will put an X on the label which I totally hate so I try to watch and ask them not to. I rarely pay for lipsticks anymore ... Btw, I have a palette I got at Sephora that I put broken lipsticks and ends of lipsticks in--this frees up the containers. I keep it at home ... you get a much better effect with multiple colors anyway.

OK, I have a dumb question. What is YSL Touche Eclat and why is it so wonderful?

Touche Eclat is an enlighting pen. It has a brush like end and you click the pen to release some product and then brush on the areas where you want a lighter finish, like under the eyes and mouth countour.
It´s not a concealer although it looks like one.

02740281702-yves-saint-laurent-touche-eclat-radiant-touch-3-light-peachmedium-beige.jpg

Here´s a description:
"Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat adds highlights, refreshes your makeup and brightens your complexion. Helps revives skin's natural glow by capturing and reflecting light. "

Thank you, sofialuv, for a great explanation. I have rather oily, I mean glowing, skin ... is this product useful for someone who already, ah, glows a lot? :D

People tend to use it a lot as a concealer and not really as an highlightening product.
This doesn´t make your skin shine, so not the kind of highlighter people use a lot nowadays.

What are you looking for? :wink:

sofialuv said:
People tend to use it a lot as a concealer and not really as an highlightening product.
This doesn´t make your skin shine, so not the kind of highlighter people use a lot nowadays.

What are you looking for? :wink:

I had written a reply last night & got an error when I tried to post it :huh:

Wasn't really looking for anything, just wanted to find out why this product was being hailed as the second coming by half of everyone here :wink: I'm sure you guys are right, just wanted to understand what you were onto/I was missing :P You reminded me that I needed to try out my new custom blend concealer formula and see how it works. She made it with their silicone primer product, and I'm pretty pleased with it. It seems to help with those little creases on my forehead that I could Botox but won't :P I will have to try this next time I'm someplace that carries it. I imagine Neiman's does ... Nordstrom??

It´s a best seller amongst makeup products, so they MUSt have it! :P

Hi all,

Ok I am probably posing an extremely redundant, and at the same time stupid question. I do apologize if it has been talked about, I did scan through this forum for answers, but unfortunately the makeup brands being discussed I do not have down here.

I'm down in small town Australia, don't ask, I desperately want Sephora down here, but it won't happen. Anyway, so instead at the chemists and what not we have Lancome, Clinique, Revlon, L'Oreal, Maybelline, I think I did see a bit of Chanel, and we do have The Body Shop as well...etc. The biggest name brand down here is Napoleon Perdis. I have a few of his items that I like very much, but his makeup is not cheap at all. So.........my question, after that small background, is which brand is going to be better?

I'm not a normal makeup wearer, so I have bare minimal in my belongings, except some things I did bring back from the states, but they are old products from MAC. I just wasn't sure of the consensus regarding the brands one would find in a department store or supermarket.

Again I am sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum.

Cheers
Kristy
:blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish we had Napoleon Perdis readily available; there is only ONE place here in Washington state that carries it (luckily a good two busses away, but still). As far as purely makeup goes, Lancome will be your best bet. Clinique has good mascaras and their lipsticks feel amazing but their eyeshadows? Horrid. Chanel is good but more expensive than NP. If you have access to MAC, go for it. It has the best range of colours and also the 800000 LE collections. Revlon is pretty good for the cheaper cosmetics, they're a step down from MAC as far as pricing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like MAC and Make up Forever. I want to try NARS though, people seem to rave about it.

Touche Éclat is brilliant for concealing eye bags and making lips appear fuller, but where it comes to hiding pimples it's not so hot imo. I found that it made my skin flake in areas when I applied it to blemishes, and I had to keep applying it regularly. However, it's an excellent product for doing what it's meant to do: highlight!!

Sorry for that slightly pointless statement - just my two cents! :smile:

Dior :heart: (everything)
M.A.C :heart: (pigments and lipglosses)

Chanel, Guerlain, Lancome, Givenchy, versace lip glosses...

Laura Mercier~foundation best for Acne prone skin

M.A.C for shadows/glosses/pigments

Lancome for Mascara

Revlon for glosses, I'm thinking about buying all Revlon glosses from now on, its so smooth and moisturizing:heart:

Foundation : I'm a fan of Estee Lauder Double Wear Light and Dior Lifting foundation
Pressed Powder : Rouge Bunny Rouge
Concealer : laura mercier
Eye shadows : Guerlain and Rouge Bunny Rouge
Blush : Armani Cosmetics
Mascara : Benefit
Liquid Eyeliner outside the rim : Chanel
Eyeliner inside the rim : Benefit
Lipstick : Chanel Pink Saphir and Armani Sheer
Lip gloss : Dior Sparkling Shine

Touche Éclat is brilliant for concealing eye bags and making lips appear fuller, but where it comes to hiding pimples it's not so hot imo. I found that it made my skin flake in areas when I applied it to blemishes, and I had to keep applying it regularly. However, it's an excellent product for doing what it's meant to do: highlight!!

Sorry for that slightly pointless statement - just my two cents! :smile:

Lol, its good that you pointed it out though, I was giving the Touche Éclat some serious considerations :smile:

My make up is very much "high street" in a British sense. Lol, here goes :wink:Foundation: Maxfactor Colour AdaptMascara: Maxfactor Masterpiece (its very good, does what it says, the wand get seriously get into those little corners of the eye!)Concealer: Rimmel LondonCream blusher: Bobbi BrownLoose powder: Bobbi BrownLip gloss: LancomeEyeliner: MaybellineI am pretty simple, I stick to the basics :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derpies
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->