Raf Simons F/W 2021.22 Paris

It's better than last season. But this looks like a CK collection if it still exist and he is still there (and save Prada from his influence). But I'm hardly impressed by Raf offering at this point, I mean how long have he been doing oversized silhouettes?

His commitments to the oversized silhouettes is equal to Hedi commitments to the skinny one. One man only dress up to size 4 and the other man is size 6 to 16. Both men never want to dress adults above the age of 25 for some reasons.

^^^ Agree and repeat: both designers have problem in coming to terms with their own being middle-aged men. Their desperate clinging to their youth-obsessed ideal is starting to feel, frankly, pathetic (and I do not give a thing about Hedi's being more product-focused than Raf at this point).

If predictability were a punishable crime in fashion, guillottine would be served to them both.

Last edited:
Now the question I have to ask is if he designed this first or Prada?

For a person who used to design for Jil + Dior, he sure does design like he's not in touch with his feminine side at all. I'll never take him seriously as a womenswear designer

I know this will all be translated differently at retail, but judging by the pics alone, I'm not curious to see how.

^The catch is that he didn't "design" those, he really just moodboarded them.

I see he's still picking after Demna's leftovers...It seriously looks like the models dumpster dived at the salvation army.

Cool location though!

I'm not an expert on Raf lol so correct me if I'm wrong, but he and demna are so similar in the way they both base a large part of their identity on Margiela tricks. I struggle to find anything genuine from him in is pretentious mashups. All I see is prepubescent edgelord victims of fashion with bad hair. Dig a little deeper pls. They are both so exhausting. At least on the business side demna is making $$$$, but whatever Raf touches with his black thumb shrivels up and dies. And don't even get me started on Raf's (and Hedi's) weird (and honestly pervy) obsession with youngins.

Further to the above: Raf is clearly in a creative rut and the failure at CK obviously had an impact on him.
Yet, if I think of his work from 2008 to 2014 circa, I see a designer who is - yes - interested in making formalwear interesting or exciting to a younger audience but, in doing so, does not snob older clients with a progressive taste. For a few seasons now, I feel it's the opposite, there is something in his work deliberately pushing these away, as if with his getting older he felt more and more in touch with the needs of millennials and gen-z'ers, which, let's say it, it's kind of delusional.

And as much as oversize shapes have always been part of his vocabulary (at least as far back as 2003), I think now it just feels like a lazy trick to go with the flow and be relevant.

American football players love raf bc it is designer that fits their huge bodies. Even tho it's supposed to be oversized. :rofl: They can't fit in any Dior or Dolce. Thats probably why Raf is keeping the oversized, his only clientele is American football players. Raf is so arrogant he probably wants his label to be worn by Jeff Koons.

I genuinely don't get Raf and never have, since the 90s Ive been wondering when is this moron going to be shown the door. At this point I assume he's doing other things behind the scenes to keep himself in these positions. :innocent:

Last edited:
Raf himself would look like a fool wearing this....
Thank god for those American athletes. It’s somehow more appealing...

Even if I love Vuitton’s FW collection, can we go back to some sense of normalcy when it comes to the shapes of clothes?

I genuinely don't get Raf and never have, since the 90s Ive been wondering when is this moron going to be shown the door. At this point I assume he's doing other things behind the scenes to keep himself in these positions. :innocent:

Never liked him either. He’s never offended me nor excited me to any extend to illicit a reaction: It’s always been more of an indifference towards his brand of severe/contrived/forced avant-garde rather than any genuine emotion. It’s all so try-hard. Although, the period of the mid to late-2000s, his suitings were more tolerable, and even interesting. And I much prefer his Dior to this current mediocrity masquerading as high fashion at Dior. Nowadays, this basic juvenile silliness seems more embarrassingly desperate to be relevant with the kidz than ever before. Sadly, that seems to be the outcome with many wealthy creatives whom are now in their 60s, and trying to be down with the kidz :cough:Miuccia/Carine/Katie:cough:

Last edited:
Raf himself would look like a fool wearing this....
Thank god for those American athletes. It’s somehow more appealing...

Even if I love Vuitton’s FW collection, can we go back to some sense of normalcy when it comes to the shapes of clothes?

What is funny is that he actually would wear many of these pieces and not think twice about it! If you go back some years and watch a couple interviews or talks he has done, he is wearing his oversized knit designs all while acting as casual as ever. I must admit, when I first saw his interview with Alex Fury from back in 2019 I was slightly taken back from outfit. Raf paired a red track pant with a distressed oversized sweater, underneath a checkered button down. The sense that he was trying to hard was so apparent and I believe it is showing in his recent work as well.

Maybe though as long as he believes in himself, I guess the collection is ok? Quite honestly I love the point that was made earlier, of Simons presently being a creative rut since his departure from Calvin Klein. It is so apparent. How someone can go from designing Christian Dior Haute Couture, to...... this is beyond me. Perhaps this is why he opened his The History of My World online shop? Last season was much more digestible. I enjoyed the simplicity and self that the clothing held, beyond the tacky typography that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->