Runner Thread (All About Running)

Thing is, I've got those insoles that were made especially for my feet and my leg unbalance (one is shorter than the other, awesome). I wonder if I'm not being overly careful because I'm so scared of getting hurt again. Maybe I'm interpreting a bit of muscular pain as shin splints, I don't know. I've got zero motivation to run at the moment, even though I know it'd be good for me mentally. I can't believe how hard those 20 minutes are, when I think running 90 minutes used to feel amazing. *sigh*

Not sure if this was posted anywhere but I couldn't really find it, but how do you guys stay hydrated during long distance runs (8miles)? Whenever I go run long distance I don't like lugging my water bottle with me since it is too heavy.

I don't bring water with me, I just drink during the day (or night before) a long run and then drink after, (I do up to 13 miles at most).

I don't think it's necessary, but then I don't live anywhere! When I first started I would put a coin in the laces of my trainers in case I needed to stop and buy water on the way round, but I never needed to.

I do always admire people who carry water with them the whole way round though, I always wonder if it would tone your arms?

You can get a thing called a "camelback", it's like a back-pack, but really thin and light and shapes to your back and it is filled with water with a straw that comes round to your front. A lot of marathon runners seem to use them.

Little update about my shin pain:
I ran 4 times in the past 7 days, and no pain. I am so, so happy! My shin did hurt after the second time, but after an hour of cycling the next day, the pain was gone.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I love running so much, I really missed it.

I used to get bad shin splints that I attributed to just being new to running and I would ice the hell out of them. Didn't prevent anything, but made it hurt less. Then I tried a bunch of different shoes and found that a lower heel-to-toe drop helped to correct my foot strike a bit. That led me to reading up on barefoot/minimalist running and realizing how heavily I had been landing on my heel because I used to wear shoes with giant heel pads and thought that's what you're supposed to do...

So besides getting different shoes (Saucony Kinvara's) I started jogging barefoot on my treadmill to help transition into a midfoot strike. Haven't had shin splints since. So freakin' happy, because I thought I wasn't meant to be a runner for the longest time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hugsrat
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"