Sabato De Sarno - Designer, Creative Director of Gucci

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Sabato De Sarno accounted as creative director of Gucci, replacing Alessandro Michele:

Just saw that on Instagram, maybe I'm ignorant but I'm not familiar with him or his work. Anyone knows more? I'm curious (especially being fond of Michele's work for Gucci).

Just saw that on Instagram, maybe I'm ignorant but I'm not familiar with him or his work. Anyone knows more? I'm curious (especially being fond of Michele's work for Gucci).
He is as unknown as Alessandro and Frida were when they took the job.

Business as usual. Curious to see the next collection.

He was the Fashion Director at Valentino for the past few years, worked previously at Dolce & Gabbana and Prada.

As I expected, they went with a "safe" choice. Someone who has a good resume and experience, knows to run a studio, but no name recognition. I can't say much about his aesthetic (he doesn't have an Instagram, which is shocking nowadays), but I suspect he won't do an extreme makeover on Gucci's image. Should be in the same veins as Vaccarello at Saint Laurent and Blazy at Bottega.

He is as unknown as Alessandro and Frida were when they took the job.

Business as usual. Curious to see the next collection.

Thanks for the info, no wonder I didn't know him then. I'm very curious too even if I don't want to have high expectations. Wait and see I guess.

I read that he was director of RTW at Valentino for both mens and women. I do have great hope for him. Seems like it’s time to take center stage and shine.

I have this hope that someone will bring back the TF aesthetic, but actually don't mind him bringing some elegance to Gucci. His debut collection is probably my most anticipated show next season.

Over 13 years at Valentino, coming in when Pierpaolo and Chiuri had a couple of collections under their belt. Very safe from a design perspective.

The apple also doesn't fall that far from the tree; de Sarno became fashion director for men's and women's about a month after Jacopo Venturini returned to Valentino from Gucci. And we all know how that turned out too for the Valentino collections *ahem* Alessandro Gucci-lite, the diet edition...

His first collection will be for the Spring 2024 Womenswear shows in September. Fall Womenswear, Cruise and Spring Menswear. I kind of wish they'd kept Michele until then, because interim collections suck.
Gucci Names Sabato De Sarno Creative Director
Joining from Valentino, De Sarno's first collection will bow in Milan in September.

By LUISA ZARGANI
JANUARY 28, 2023, 3:16AM

MILAN – Mystery solved. On Saturday morning, Kering and Gucci announced that Sabato De Sarno is the Italian brand’s new creative director, succeeding Alessandro Michele who exited last November.

His first show will bow in September during Milan Fashion Week.

De Sarno, who will report to president and CEO Marco Bizzarri, was raised in Naples, began his career at Prada in 2005, moving to Dolce & Gabbana, before joining Valentino in 2009, where he held positions of increasing responsibility, finally being appointed fashion director overseeing both men’s and women’s collections.

“I am delighted that Sabato will join Gucci as the House’s new creative director, one of the most influential roles in the luxury industry,” said Bizzarri. “Having worked with a number of Italy’s most renowned luxury fashion houses, he brings with him a vast and relevant experience. I am certain that through Sabato’s deep understanding and appreciation for Gucci’s unique legacy, he will lead our creative teams with a distinctive vision that will help write this exciting next chapter, reinforcing the House’s fashion authority while capitalizing on its rich heritage.”

François-Henri Pinault, chairman and CEO of Kering, said: “One hundred and two years after Guccio Gucci opened his first store in Florence, Gucci remains one of the most iconic, prominent and influential luxury houses in the world. With Sabato De Sarno at the creative helm, we are confident that the House will continue both to influence fashion and culture through highly desirable products and collections, and to bring a singular and contemporary perspective to modern luxury.”

“I am deeply honored to take on the role as Creative Director of Gucci. I am proud to join a House with such an extraordinary history and heritage, that over the years has been able to welcome and cherish values I believe in. I am touched and excited to contribute my creative vision for the brand,” said De Sarno.
Source: WWD

I'm all about a designer that doesn't have IG nowadays, and so goes Sabato. :D

But I'm excited about the next show. I love that they go for an unknown veteran instead of hype for the second time in a row.

Sabato De Sarno has an instagram account, it's just private.

I don't really know what to think about this appointment. The Valentino provenance doesn't sound exciting at all, especially due to the last couple of Piccoli's attempt to target the gen z crowd. On the other hand, the pressure from Kering is going to be absolutely unbearable so in this context, it doesn't feel right to throw someone who hadn't been a creative director into such position. But let's see, at least he has more than five days to prepare his debut collection.

Gucci needs to be luxe and jet set again…That’s the only thing that matters for me. And I think this is what people means when they want the feeling of the Tom Ford years…
It’s not much about having an unbuttoned silk shirt and velvet pants, we can have it at Tom Ford in 2023, but it’s really about that feeling, that aspiration of a dreamed life.

At a time when even Valentino is not about Jet Set anymore, it’s needed.
He joined Valentino in 2009… interesting. That means that he knows about construction. Valentino was actually good when MGC and PPP were at the helm together even if it was redundant and repetitive.

I leave it to him to find the right way to approach Gucci, to express himself and his creativity and to have enough range to stay longer than Michele.

It’s a bit terrible to mention this before even seeing his first collection but I hope he saw how everybody was treated by KERING so he better not be too comfortable with his bosses.

Here's De Sarno career history (pulled from his LinkedIn page):

Prada (2003 - 06)
• assistant pattern-maker: womenswear
Annapurna (2006 - 08)
• freelance assistant designer
Dolce and Gabbana (2008 - 09)
• head designer: womenswear knitwear and jersey
Valentino (2009 - 23)
• knitwear designer: men's/women's ready-to-wear (2009 - 12)
• head designer: men's ready-to-wear (2012 - 16)
• design director: men's ready-to-wear (2016 - 23)
• image to market director: men's ready-to-wear (2018 - 20)
• design director: women's ready-to-wear (2020 - 23)

It's interesting that they got a designer with a decade-plus of history in menswear and according to BOF, they're planning on doing 6 collections a year. It really shows that the menswear was the weakest link in Michele's tenure and they're trying to focus on it.

on the face of it sounds like a good choice, can‘t wait to see his first collection

Here's De Sarno career history (pulled from his LinkedIn page):

Prada (2003 - 06)
• assistant pattern-maker: womenswear
Annapurna (2006 - 08)
• freelance assistant designer
Dolce and Gabbana (2008 - 09)
• head designer: womenswear knitwear and jersey
Valentino (2009 - 23)
• knitwear designer: men's/women's ready-to-wear (2009 - 12)
• head designer: men's ready-to-wear (2012 - 16)
• design director: men's ready-to-wear (2016 - 23)
• image to market director: men's ready-to-wear (2018 - 20)
• design director: women's ready-to-wear (2020 - 23)

It's interesting that they got a designer with a decade-plus of history in menswear and according to BOF, they're planning on doing 6 collections a year. It really shows that the menswear was the weakest link in Michele's tenure and they're trying to focus on it.

That's what happens, when your sole design focus is on a pop star, and an actor.:ermm:

Yeah his IG was private in the morning and wetn from 4,4k in the morning to 20,3 now...

They wanted someone like him, not so maximalist as Michele....let's wait until september.

On a side note, at the end of the press release they said he will initiate his tenure at Gucci once he finish his current job....so it's a little weird that they release the news if he is not finished at Valentino.

Yeah his IG was private in the morning and wetn from 4,4k in the morning to 20,3 now...

They wanted someone like him, not so maximalist as Michele....let's wait until september.

On a side note, at the end of the press release they said he will initiate his tenure at Gucci once he finish his current job....so it's a little weird that they release the news if he is not finished at Valentino.

Q4 figures are going to be made public in February, so it might not be a bad idea for them to make this announcement now, so they have a stronger narrative about the path forward. In other words, if they need some good news and the appearance of coming stability, this could be that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->