Sarah Jessica Parker Named President and Chief Creative Officer at Halston

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Sarah Jessica Parker to Take Advisory Role at Halston

Sarah Jessica Parker, who helmed her own ultra-low-cost fashion line Bitten via a partnership with Steve & Barry’s — not long before Steve & Barry’s went bankrupt — is considering returning to the fashion biz, only at a rather higher price point.
E! Online says that the fashion icon — although really, shouldn’t we be crediting/blaming costumer Patricia Field for the much-imitated Carrie Bradshaw look — is talking about consulting with the design house Halston, possibly taking on a role as creative director or design director.
Or maybe just clothing hanger. Parker wears a lot of Halston in the upcoming “Sex and the City” sequel.

nj.com via E! Online

i think its awful news.

SJP's clothing line bitten was awful. so were her statements a few months ago calling her line "the democratic helmut lang".

i feel sorry for marios schwab. he is one of my favourite designers.

Well, I guess at least she'll put work into the project... perhaps more than sticking fingers into her mouth and looking zoned out.

I liked the first Halston collection resurrection when Rachel Zoe was involved. It looked good, I never got why there was so much drama.

She's a style icon, but I think that actresses should stick to acting and leave the whole fashion advisory business to people who actually worked for it and who have dreamt of working in the fashion industry their entire lives.

parker is better than lohan. . . but worse than someone who actually understands fashion.

this makes me smile: for everyone who decried that initial ungaro collection with estrella archs handimark won't find it as easy to dismiss the sjp buying power -- after all, she has a decisionmaking role when it comes to marketing for not only sex and the city, but also her new bravo show. in this economy, money talks.

I just don't understand why celebs are now taking over creative director roles! That's just unfair. I do not care how much style she may have, the roll of creative director should go to someone who has at least trained somewhat in that. I really hope this is not a trend.

I don't get it either....first we had them popping up at fashion week with their own lines (Sweetface, LAMB etc) and now they are taking over respected houses with a great history? Somebody stop them!

And Derek Zoolander will be designing for Omyigoto... :unsure:

The rumors swirling yesterday are true: Sarah Jessica Parker is taking on Halston. Though she will be designing for the Halston Heritage label, there's no word on her actual title as of yet (creative director is what seems likely). Heritage, if you recall, is the secondary line of Halston, and features archival looks. Which means that the Halston line itself is SJP-free and designed by Marios Schwab. Everyone can stop freaking out now. SJP scored herself one heckuva better deal than ol' Lindsay did: She has an equity stake in the company as well as another executive role within Halston.
WWD points out that though Harvey Weinstein is one of the owners, he had little or nothing to do with hiring a Hollywood actress to head up a label. Instead, Hilco Consumer Capital LLC, another of Halston's owners, was the mastermind.

TheCut

Sarah Jessica Parker For Halston Heritage ?

Like a cat with catnip, certain names are irresistible to fashion bloggers and journalists alike. Sarah Jessica Parker being one of them (of course) and Halston being another. So rumours that the two will join forces have ignited feverish speculation this morning.

The news that Miss Parker will be taking on some kind of creative consultant role - thought to be for Halston Heritage rather than the main line - has now reportedly been confirmed. The posters for the next SATC movie show her wearing a white Halston Heritage dress.

Since the death of founder Roy Halston Frowick in 1990, the New York fashion label has had eight owners and six designers. It seems as though, while the will to re-launch the legendary house is there, finding that perfect design chemistry is harder than it sounds. The current owners; film producer Harvey Weinstein, and Jimmy Choo impresario Tamara Mellon, originally hired Marco Zanini, previously a member of the Versace design team, with Rachel Zoe acting as advisor for red carpet and celebrity styling to the brand. Zanini showed only one collection, for Autumn/Winter ‘08, before exiting the label, swiftly followed by Zoe.

Since then, the design team at Halston has worked uncredited. But in Autumn last year, it was announced that London-based wunderkind Marios Schwab had been appointed creative director at Halston, and his debut collection is hotly anticipated. Shortly after this announcement, Parker appeared wearing Halston Heritage on the set of SATC2, and was rumoured to have been signed to model in the ad campaign for the mainline or for Halston Heritage.

Today’s news could mean the diffusion line, Halston Heritage, would be SJP’s responsibility while Marios’ first collection will be shown in New York in a few weeks! Tentherhooks doesn’t even BEGIN to describe!

Graziadaily.co.uk

I read this morning that it's official.

I just don't understand why celebs are now taking over creative director roles! That's just unfair. I do not care how much style she may have, the roll of creative director should go to someone who has at least trained somewhat in that. I really hope this is not a trend.

well, this is what happens in the absence of new marquee designers: although it ages me to remark on an entire DECADE of fashion with such nostalgia, one must look back on the late nineties and early aughts -- if that's what we're calling them -- as a time when the marquee designers really drove the fashion world. whether we're talking about stella mccartney, tom ford, karl lagerfeld, miuccia prada, john galliano, helmut lang, michael kors, marc jacobs, hedi slimane, jean-paul gaultier, et al., we saw where many designers helmed multilple houses -- if not entire conglomerates -- and achieved such prestige and fame that they became celebrities in their own right. many fashion folk seemed to rebel against that system by installing relative no-names -- from olivier theyskens and alessandra facchinetti at one end to ivana omazic :unsure: and paulo melim andersson :unsure: at the other -- at many of these iconic houses who had talent in spades, but lacked the star power to create excitement at a house merely by their presence.

now fashion houses have to seek out actual celebrities from other industries to help them create that excitement because it takes more than talent to SELL great clothes. there exist many great garments that sit on shelves unsold because no one gets excited about them (for an example see: http://www.fashionweekdaily.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=6645041 ). however, tom ford could open an empty store and have a line wrapped around the block to get in....:innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
"however, tom ford could open an empty store and have a line wrapped around the block to get in...." :mohawk:

She doesn't have great style.....her street style is horrendous. She just has great stylists that tell her what to wear. I echo what everyone has said...at least she's not a Lohan.

^ How true- and Tom Ford would also have a waiting list for $245.00 cashmere socks... :shock:

Isn't the charming and handsome :smile:rolleyes:smile: Mr Weinstein having pretty serious financial problems? I wonder if this SJP thing is a Hail Mary like the disastrous Lindsay Lohan/Ungaro train wreck... :unsure:

The disastrous showing Lindsay Lohan faced at last year's Emanuel Ungaro Spring 2010 presentation at Paris Fashion Week hasn't kept other fashion firms from hiring celebrities for executive roles. Last week, the recently revived brand Halston announced that Sex and the City star Sarah Jessica Parker would be taking an active design role in its Halston Heritage line.

Now WWD reports that SJP has been named president and chief creative officer of the brand - a fairly serious role for a full-time actress. Parker stands to gain a lot from the brand's success, as she is reportedly taking an equity stake in the firm.

When asked about her qualifications for the new role, Parker said, “You could make many arguments to why I am not qualified. I would say that I am very aware of the enormity of the titles, and how important they are, and my response is that they [the board] felt confident in their decisions."

source: http://www.zimbio.com/Sarah+Jessica+Parker/articles/uWAN7QL0zu4/Sarah+Jessica+Parker+Named+President+Chief

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BonnieRunway
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->