Self-Portrait to acquire Roland Mouret

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
From harpersbazaar.com:

Earlier this month, it was revealed that luxury British brand Roland Mouret had entered administration, following a difficult few years where it had struggled to bounce back from the early impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic. And now, it has been announced that Self-Portrait will acquire the label.

According to The Business of Fashion, SP Collection, which is the holding company of Self-Portrait, has bought the intellectual property rights and the assets of Roland Mouret.

Although the staff and retail spaces were not included in the deal, Mouret himself will continue to work for his namesake label. He will take on the new role of founder and creative chair of the brand.

"I am very honoured to have the chance to take this luxury brand on the next stage of its journey," Self-Portrait founder and creative director, Han Chong said. "As part of SP Collection, Roland Mouret will benefit from the infrastructure and resources necessary to ensure it can flourish in the coming years.

"The Roland Mouret brand already has a powerful and respected legacy, and I’m excited to see how we can develop it for luxury customers around the world. I am also delighted that Roland himself will be a part of this next chapter."

Roland Mouret will now sit alongside Self-Portrait – and its first collection under the new company is to be presented in June 2022.

"I have been so impressed by Han’s passion for the Roland Mouret brand and where he feels it can go next," Mouret told Business of Fashion. "Naturally I am also very happy to be a part of the journey that will allow me to continue celebrating women in all their beautiful guises for years to come."

Shocking news, how Self-Portrait is relevant enough to acquire Roland Mouret is beyond my knowledge, and I actually find Roland Mouret as decent and inoffensive as Emilia Winstead.

Shocking news, how Self-Portrait is relevant enough to acquire Roland Mouret is beyond my knowledge, and I actually find Roland Mouret as decent and inoffensive as Emilia Winstead.

Self-Portrait is a very successful brand, both in the West and in the East. The price point is affordable and the clothes are nice and wearable.

I'm glad that Roland will still be involved. It's always a tragedy to me when designer are forced to leave the brands the built.

I'm glad that Roland will still be involved. It's always a tragedy to me when designer are forced to leave the brands the built.

I think that the main reason for that is due to the fact that Han Chong and his label are relatively young and aren't as violently corporate as LVMH or Kering. His ventures are still somewhat passion driven. To add to that, both brands have similar visions: enhancing women's bodies and empowering them while doing so.

Good on Mouret.

I think that the main reason for that is due to the fact that Han Chong and his label are relatively young and aren't as violently corporate as LVMH or Kering. His ventures are still somewhat passion driven. To add to that, both brands have similar visions: enhancing women's bodies and empowering them while doing so.

Good on Mouret.

Even with them being violently corporated, the designers/ founders were never forced to leave the houses.
That is a scenario that has paradoxally happened with a lot of smaller groups.

Han Chong saw that having Roland at the creative helm is a bigger value. It will be interesting to see the strategy for the relaunch of the brand and if Mouret is willing to follow that strategy.

Even with them being violently corporated, the designers/ founders were never forced to leave the houses.
That is a scenario that has paradoxally happened with a lot of smaller groups.

Han Chong saw that having Roland at the creative helm is a bigger value. It will be interesting to see the strategy for the relaunch of the brand and if Mouret is willing to follow that strategy.

My hope is that they at least halve prices when they move production to south asia. i don't know if Han Chong owns his own factories or operates the business as vertical integration - but he has to bring prices down significantly.

He also has to fix the sizing issue which has persisted for the entire time Roland Mouret was in business - everything ran one small small. It's demoralizing for shoppers to seek out form-fitting garments only to have sizing issues and why i never purchased RM items at MSRP.

Keep the stretch, power-mesh items that lift and sculpt and ditch the superfluous items.

excerpt from Samantha Conti's piece in wwd:

Design, merchandising, sales, PR and e-commerce operations for Self-Portrait and Roland Mouret are now under one roof. There could be more acquisitions to come, although Chong said he’s in no hurry and wants to focus on building Self-Portrait and Mouret’s label.

Chong said he bought the company because he’d followed Mouret’s career closely and liked his style. He also felt he could tweak Mouret’s business model and build sales by appealing to women’s changing needs post-pandemic.

“We have a similar vision. And it’s inspiring to talk to Roland. It’s like we’re speaking the same language,” said Chong.

“I also have the infrastructure and resources to help the brand grow. We have to make sure the prices are relevant to how today’s women are shopping and we can’t compromise on quality,” he added.

Chong is an unusual London designer in that he’s able to strike a balance between creativity and commerce, and has built a considerable business with turnover now in the high double-digits.

Born in Penang, Malaysia, Chong moved to London in 2003 to study womenswear design at Central Saint Martins. He initially pursued a career in the visual arts, but later shifted his focus to fashion, founding Self-Portrait in 2013.

It was a vertical operation from the get-go: Chong relied on his own factories in southeast Asia and had direct oversight of the production, supply chain — and profit margins.

He also pitched Self-Portrait as a contemporary brand at a time when the designer luxury space was brimming with designers who were struggling to build businesses.

He now has offices in China, a team on the ground in Hong Kong and a network of factories in different Chinese regions. He pressed those factories into action during the pandemic, switching production from one to the other depending on lockdown restrictions.

“We’ve had to be flexible with shipping, too, and now we’re used to doing fittings on video call. In order to sustain a business, you have to adapt and be flexible,” said Chong, who has seen turnover rise 250 percent between 2021 and 2022.

Self-Portrait, which specializes in lacy, broderie anglaise designs, has stand-alone stores in London, Hong Kong, Beijing, Bangkok, Shanghai, Chengdu, Shenzhen and Taipei.

Chong’s network of Chinese factories will be making Mouret’s latest designs, which have a lower price point than before when the designer was playing more in the luxury space.

Prices range from 295 pounds for separates to 1,395 pounds for gowns, with dresses starting at 600 pounds.

That’s still more expensive than Self-Portrait, whose customers range from the Duchess of Cambridge to Beyoncé to Bella Hadid and whose price points hover around 300 pounds.

Mouret said he and Chong did a lot of talking about the new direction of Roland Mouret before they sat down to create the collection.

“It’s a whole new baby” from a creative and business point of view, said Mouret.

“We walked down Regent Street, looked at what was on offer, talked about the client, what she needed, and what the positioning should be. We can talk honestly with each other about creativity and commerce, and we are learning from each other,” he added.

Chong said: “We love women and we want to celebrate them.” He added that the aim has always been to stay true to the identity and DNA of Mouret’s brand, “but to make these clothes for 2022. Women’s mentality changed after the pandemic. They want much more versatile pieces, and ones that are not so trend driven.”

The first new Mouret collection is resort 2023, and during a walk-through, Chong talked about the importance of hanger appeal and how customers need to be able to envision instantly what looks will, and won’t, work for them.

He also likes the idea of easy fabrics that don’t crinkle, and can be popped in and out of a suitcase. “You have to be very focused ⁠— it’s a crowded market and we put a lot of effort into every piece,” said Chong.

Chong also wanted more clean lines and believes women are looking to dress “sexier,” post-pandemic. “It’s a sexiness for yourself, one that comes from the inside,” he added.

“Han was adamant that I open up the necklines ⁠— ‘Give me more neckline!’” Mouret recalls Chong telling him. Hence the deep v-neck on an orange gown with power shoulders, and on a turquoise off-the shoulder midi-dress.

“He also likes things to be practical and pure, without being boring and plain,” said Mouret, adding that this collection has “more movement and draping — and fewer zippers. It’s as if I’m trying to ‘control’ the outfit less. The silhouettes are more supple, and I’m trying to destroy this idea of an ‘office dress.’

“These outfits need to be a woman’s best friend, to go from day to night, and be relevant for now,” he said.

Fabrics include stretch viscose, wool crepe, jersey, cashmere and wool, with embellishments including sequins and diamante. There’s certainly more flesh on show, but the curvy silhouettes and punchy colors are unmistakably Mouret.

There’s great tailoring in the mix, too, including a black tuxedo coat, while a viscose wedding gown can be popped out of a suitcase, in keeping with the collection’s easy, versatile approach.

Chong has a razor-sharp vision both for Mouret’s business, and for SP Collection.

As part of Mouret’s new chapter, there’s a new logo and e-commerce platform. The back end and interface have been custom-built for both mobile and desktop and will launch in line with the resort collection in October. The domain name remains rolandmouret.com.

Chong said he wanted to build a strong direct-to-consumer business right away and then choose a few “best-in-class” retail partners.

He said a strong d-to-c operation has allowed Self-Portrait to remain more flexible and in control of sales. It has also provided the brand with a trove of data on sell-throughs, and customer feedback.

“With your own d-to-c you can build a brand story, drive traffic and work with so many more categories,” Chong said, adding that, for him, “design is only one part of the journey.”

“It’s very fulfilling to be able to take a 360-degree approach, and look at marketing, communication and commerce, to say, ‘I’ve created this dress — now, how do I put it out there?’”

Chong has always taken a holistic view with Self-Portrait, juggling the creative with the commercial. “If I don’t have a business then I can’t design another collection. I’ve always had to think of the business. I have rent to pay, and bills,” he said.

Asked why he was keen to start SP Collection and set about building a portfolio of brands, Chong said he has always wanted to serve a bigger audience.

“I already had the infrastructure, and I was ready to take the next step.” With Self-Portrait still in expansion mode and Roland Mouret on board, he’s not planning an acquisitions spree anytime soon.

Another brand acquired by China or what?

I thought he is doing consulting for Victoria B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->