Serena, Fashion Ace

tangerine

Soviet Camaro
Reaction score

SERENA TO PLAY BALL ON THE CATWALK
Tennis star Serena Williams has her heart setting on becoming a fashion designer after she retires from the court.
The leggy sportswoman, 22, has already studied fashion at college and wants to convert her red-carpet outfits, which she designs herself, into a Serena Williams label.

Williams explains, "I'm not going to be able to play tennis forever, so I'm going to have to find something else to do.

"I love fashion and I'm deadly serious about it. It's not a hobby. I've been doing sketches since I was 8 years old."

Williams has already debuted some of her designs at celebrity events and has even created a gown for beauty queen Miss New Jersey.

She says, "I have also designed an outfit for Miss New Jersey to wear at this year's Miss America awards. She fell in love with one of my designs so she's going to be wearing my dress on the red carpet."

Williams recently signed a $36 million deal to create tennis dresses for Nike.

Source

Anyone have more info about Serena's designs?

I actually remember hearing about something like this before, in regards to her designing abilities. I think that she may actually be fairly legitimate in her venture, which is an nice change is the world of celebrity designing. :flower:

Im not a fan... at all... of celebrity designers, but for once i would actually like to see what she's got. ITs good that she is dead serious and its not just another business venture to profit off of.

If her self-designed red carpet outfits are any indication- um, no thanks.

I don't know if she's got any vision, but if she does I feel sorry for her. Many people *will* chalk this off as another celeb 'fashion' venture even though it doesn't seem to be. :flower:

Well,if its anything close to her own personal style,get ready for some gaudy crap because she has absolutely no taste at all. But having said that,I do think she's actually serious about this(if any of her post-match conferences is an indication)so she has my respect. And she does actually make her own stuff which is also a breath of fresh air in the world of celeb-fashion. But,no,the overall outcomes I've seen,have not impressed me at all.

it's nice to see that she's serious about being a fashion designer but i still want to spray all the celebrity designers with some sort of pesticide. :ninja:

she IS serious...and her clothes ARE awful...

if she was one of those celebs who hired a designer and just put their name on it...it might work...but because she actually wants to design...i think she's in trouble...i saw some of her stuff last year and she designed a couple of pieces for a leather company last year...

not good... :ninja:

maybe she'll improve with more experience?... :huh:

Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 25th, 2004 - 2:37 am
she IS serious...and her clothes ARE awful...

if she was one of those celebs who hired a designer and just put their name on it...it might work...but because she actually wants to design...i think she's in trouble...i saw some of her stuff last year and she designed a couple of pieces for a leather company last year...

not good... :ninja:

maybe she'll improve with more experience?... :huh:
Any pics, anyone?

Prep,I think on star style,if you do a search there's an archived thread from that WTA fashion show where she showed some of her stuff.

Soft,that's what I was thinking as well. Perhaps when she doesn't have the priorities like her tennis career in particular,maybe she'll be able to focus more....otherwise,I don't see a genuine future. It already looks like Donatella Versace copies.

Originally posted by Scott@Jun 25th, 2004 - 9:27 am

It already looks like Donatella Versace copies.
as does beyonce's line...and have you seen wyclef jean's wife's stuff...?... :shock:

way too many versace wannabes...don't they know that versace is NOT doing well...?...they should just stick to designing clothes for their babie dolls...

At least Versace is trashy in traditional, Italian, no-holds-barred all-out sex...none of this dodgy sports-wear...

Who we really need to become a fashion designer is Martina Navratilova - I mean look at that groovy tennis sailor-dress she wears in the final against Chrissy Evert.

_39248898_firstwimwingt300300.jpg

Serena's clothing line is called Anenes (Serena spelled backwards). She had a fashion show in Santa Monica last November where Venus modeled some looks.

Attachments

• venus_aneres.jpg
    venus_aneres.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 3
Here they are after the show, Serena in one of her designs:

Attachments

• 2697777.jpg
    2697777.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 2
thx for the pix kim...it seems that the short in front/long in back style is reaching epidemic proportions among a certain group of wannabe designers... :blink:

Originally posted by tangerine@Jun 24th, 2004 - 6:51 pm

SERENA TO PLAY BALL ON THE CATWALK

Williams recently signed a $36 million deal to create tennis dresses for Nike.

Source
WOW, they're giving her THAT much for tennis dresses? :doh:

Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 25th, 2004 - 12:22 pm
thx for the pix kim...it seems that the short in front/long in back style is reaching epidemic proportions among a certain group of wannabe designers... :blink:
Oh I hate those types of dresses. Maybe I should wear a short dress and show some leg... or maybe a long dress because it's "classier"- especially when it drags on the floor... MAKE UP YOUR MIND.

Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 25th, 2004 - 12:22 pm
thx for the pix kim...it seems that the short in front/long in back style is reaching epidemic proportions among a certain group of wannabe designers...
and even real designers...remember this Valentino? And there's a Roberto Cavalli feathered number I've seen on Beyonce. It's not a good look.

:rolleyes: sorry to get off topic!

Attachments

• 00223.L.JPG
    00223.L.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 1
Originally posted by kimair+Jun 25th, 2004 - 7:20 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kimair @ Jun 25th, 2004 - 7:20 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@Jun 25th, 2004 - 12:22 pm
thx for the pix kim...it seems that the short in front/long in back style is reaching epidemic proportions among a certain group of wannabe designers...
and even real designers...remember this Valentino? And there's a Roberto Cavalli feathered number I've seen on Beyonce. It's not a good look.

:rolleyes: sorry to get off topic! [/b][/quote]
i know the cavalli one you mean... :yuk:

the valentino seems like more of an over skirt which i find somewhat less offensive...plus i'm a sucker for that valentino red... :blush:

but i agree...it generally not a very good idea...i guess some think it's original because you don't see it often on the big runways...but i think you don't see it so much because it's just not very chic... :innocent: :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->