Should short people boycott fashion?

writergal28

Reaction score
Since clothes seem to be designed for taller people, do you think all short people should make our own clothes rather than buy (unless the specific retailer/brand has a petite line) until more people create clothes that'll fit us? Many of us really don't like having to take things to the tailor, since we've already spent so much money on them. Also, pants, skirts and dresses may be easy to alter, but tops certainly aren't! Many stylists seem to believe that short people have normal length torsos and short legs, when in reality most are proportionately short, meaning that not only are our legs short, but also our arms and torsos. Stylists also tell us that we need to lengthen our legs, when in reality, we need to wear something that lengthens our entire body! Designers need to think outside of the box. What do you think?

I think you just have to work with what you've got, and wear clothes that accentuates your good sides and masks your flaws. Buy clothes that fit you. If a particular designer wants your business, he or she will just have to start making clothes your size :flower:

no, because then we'd be discriminating against ourselves and that doesn't strike me as a very positive thing to do :lol:

yes,

we should.

:lol:

only kidding. no, i think we, as everyone else, should find shapes and cuts flattering to us. I don't mind hemming some pants here and there. It may be harder for us to find clothes, but hey.. it builds character :wink:

Absolutely, and I also recommend unloading a shotgun into the dominant foot for best results :P

I'm short but not petite (in the technical sense) and I don't find it all that difficult to find clothes. OK, I do, but the primary reason I find it difficult is not my height but the fact that I want something I find interesting and appealing, and that is a major challenge.

no, i think its hard for everyone to find clothes (tall, short, overweight, underweight...well maybe not underweight j/k) designers in general need to realize that there is no "mainstream" bodytype but I doubt there are ever going to be 50 different specialty stores at every mall for all the different body types...deal with what you got

I have to hem my trousers all the time too...and I don't even consider myself that short :P (~5'6). Work with it.

I always have to hem pants and skirts. Normal knee-lenghts skirts hit the widest part of my calves, not very flattering. I also cut lots of my t-shirts, they always hit mid-bottom. I don't wear buttoned-down shirts, because they are always too long and stretch around my belly

Its no difference to people who are tall, they will be unable to find pants with legs that are long enough. Everyone has to deal with problems, not just short people.

I'm 5'4-5'5 and have no problem really except with pants. I don't wear pants often anyway so it doesn't matter.

There are plenty of clothes that look best on shorter people rather than taller people, so maybe you aren't looking in the right places.

I think it can be hard for everyone to find clothes that fit right. My pants are never long enough and regular length dresses end up being mini-dresses. Just wear what flatters your body type I guess, no need to boycott fashion.

Ha I'm imagining thousands of people in the street rioting with their picket signs.

The fashion industry thinks 5 9' is short. I thin htis is a huge problem. 60% of women are under 5 6' and over 5 8' is even rarer. It's elitism for absolutely no reason except someone long ago thought they wanted to keep th majority of people out of something. We should rebel!

i'm 4'11" in stocking feet. i wear kids clothes. but that's why i have a clear blue polkadot raincoat and handknit sweaters. being short rules!

nope ive got used to the fact that i cant wear dresses all pritty much to long and dont fit my sholders .. ive goten used to the fact all my trousers are too big and long as well and that im constantly showing my underwear lol .. not intentionally of course... ive used to the fact that no clothes fit me .. im not going to boycott fashion.

i'm 4'11" in stocking feet. i wear kids clothes. but that's why i have a clear blue polkadot raincoat and handknit sweaters. being short rules!

hehe that sounds so adorable .. i want one .. kids deparments are great and cheaper .. gpa kids and h & m kids have really cute stuff

^i wear some of the kids stuff in h&m (im 14 and 5'3) well the older kids stuff and some of the stuff is reli nice, but it does become annoying that i cant buy jeans in some places that dont have a petite section cos the trousers are to long for my short legs!! i love being short though it rocks!

.francesca said:
no, because then we'd be discriminating against ourselves and that doesn't strike me as a very positive thing to do :lol:

Quoted for Truth! ^_^

The funny thing is...most clothes are made for tall people, but the majority of people are not tall!!!!! Which is part of why a great deal of people you see are wearing clothes that are too long for them, and not just the pants epidemic that most people think of. Shirts and jackets are often made too long, too. It's crazy. And for women's stuff...my mom recently found out that petite sizes are actually made for what is the average women's height, or something dumb like that. So everything's totally off, basically. :wacko:

yourbestfriend said:
Its no difference to people who are tall, they will be unable to find pants with legs that are long enough. Everyone has to deal with problems, not just short people.

Yep exactly...at least you have material to hem...us tall-ies are working with nothing but air below the ankle :wink: ...and in high street stores there are way more 'petite' lines than there are tall ranges...Alot of the time also they seem to only take trousers into consideration when they're putting in 'different lengths' with all the regular sized clothes. I have never ...other than in actual tall ranges, seen a top that is 'longer length' for longer bodies etc...we're battling on out here with ankle swingers and bare stomachs. :ninja:

AlexN said:
The funny thing is...most clothes are made for tall people, but the majority of people are not tall!!!!! Which is part of why a great deal of people you see are wearing clothes that are too long for them, and not just the pants epidemic that most people think of. Shirts and jackets are often made too long, too. It's crazy. And for women's stuff...my mom recently found out that petite sizes are actually made for what is the average women's height, or something dumb like that. So everything's totally off, basically. :wacko:

Hi, Alex, I'm about to tell you the sum total of what I learned in the fashion electives I took in college :wink: The average American woman is my height, 5'4", but "petite" is not just height. Armholes are smaller, rise is shorter, etc. So when I try on a petite garment (for awhile a major dept store here "mainstreamed" petites by putting them on the same racks with the misses stuff, so I've done this), I feel like I'm in a funhouse or parallel universe because I do not have petite proportions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->