Our fashion resolutions for 2014

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Our fashion resolutions for 2014

As 2014 begins, pay your wardrobe and shopping habits a little attention with Telegraph Fashion's new year resolutions

BY Bibby Sowray | 02 January 20

On January 1 each year we all make resolutions, some huge and life-changing, some so small that no one outside of ourselves would actually notice. But whatever, it's fair to say that most revolve around our health and/or well-being. But what about our wardrobes? Here, we round up the fashion resolutions we're hoping to keep this year.

·Forget fast fashion
Go on, try not buying anything from your favourite high street retailers - even if it's just for a month to six weeks. Resist Zara's negative magnetic pull and see what kind of positive effect it has on your bank balance. If you keep it up, what you save on fast fashion could just buy you that coveted designer bag by 2015. After all, how often do you actually need the clothes that you buy?

·Sort out your wardrobe
Or should we say floordrobe. Fold, hang, vacuum pack, whatever you need to do to create some order and take note of what clothes you already own and actually wear. It never takes as long as you think it will and is oddly therapeutic.

·Don't be fooled by trends
The clue's in the name. Though they're what the fashion industry is based on, a trend won't last. 'But it may come back around in 10 years,' we hear you saying, but thinking that way is as good as booking yourself a slot on Channel 4's The Hoarder Next Door. Buy few but great quality timeless items in versatile colours and fabrics and don't give in to that snazzy sequinned crop top winking at you in Topshop. Trust us, anyone who bought into 2013's now-dead slogan trend is weeping at the thought of the money they wasted on a jumper that says 'Homies'.

·Take care of your clothes
We can all be lazy when it comes to having to handwash certain items but sticking to the advice on the label really will prevent you from ruining that favourite silk blouse or cashmere jumper. Similarly, make an effort to store clothes properly, protecting cashmere from pesky moths, folding as opposed to hanging heavy knitwear so it maintains its shape and cleaning up dirty shoes before you put them away.

·Put a little thought into your outfits
Few of us are blessed with the throw-it-on-and-look-great aura that seems to exude from the most nonchalantly stylish women in the world. As such, it's easy to revert to jeans and jumpers in the flurry of lateness most of us find ourselves in every morning. Each evening, spend five minutes thinking about what you could wear the next day and, if you have time, get the outfit out ready for the morning.

·Be practical
Ultimately, our clothing choices need to be functional and comfortable. So think twice before you purchase pieces that are sheer, low cut, super short, shoes that are painfully vertiginous - they may look great but if there's a possibility that you'll be tugging at the hem or slipping into flats an hour into the day, then they aren't worth it.

What changes are you going to make in 2014...?!...

Last edited by a moderator:
mine mostly have to do with maintaining my existing wardrobe...

- perform all repairs on items in my closet
- perform all alterations on items in my closet
- add rubber grips to the soles of all shoes that do not already have them
- add another rail in my closet
- spread my wardrobe out in order to be able to find things more easily...
(the rails are too full now)

add a new rail? are you going to have to go into a crouching position to find clothes? :lol::wink:

Trust us, anyone who bought into 2013's now-dead slogan trend is weeping at the thought of the money they wasted on a jumper that says 'Homies'.

i wish this were true. but chances are anyone that was that brain-dead to buy into that trend or think it was at all attractive isnt smart enough to snap out of it.

in 2014, i plan to rebuild my lingerie wardrobe. perhaps make a dedicated lingerie wardrobe in another spot in the house

Dye all items of clothing that need to be dyed.

Stop buying shoes online, they usually don't fit my feet and my feet are too callused and bruised to squeeze into anymore tiny shoes.

Wear clothes that are less formal to school, I usually end up staining them or wearing them down too quickly.

Get rid of all the items in my closet that I don't wear.

Wear less black...I said the same thing last year and it didn't happen.

I would not exactly call them New Years resolutions. Just general thoughts on where I wanna go with my wardrobe/style/shopping. But here goes

- Be an aware consumer. I wish to mainly (in the best of all worlds, only) buy clothes made within Europe or fairtrade certified clothes. Also I would like to be better at looking at the organic alternatives. This does not apply for second hand shopping, which I also find to be a very ethical alternative and would like to get better at doing again.
- Resize my wardrobe. I have almost twice as many clothes as I wear on a regular basis. I would like to give some of them up, since I enjoy a smaller wardrobe.
- Shop less. Both in terms of quantity and the amount of money I spend on shopping. I can see that for the past 4 season I have gradually bought less so I am hopeful.
- Finally, I have realized that at some point I will have to go out and get a real "grown-up job" and therefore I think I need to add some more formal pieces. I have a lot of jersey and casual things in my wardrobe at this point, and I do not see that working in the long run. I still want comfortable pieces. Nothing that bothers me, has an ill fit or anything of that sorts.

add a new rail? are you going to have to go into a crouching position to find clothes? :lol::wink:

it's the opposite actually...
i'll need a ladder!

but i'll just put things up there that are out of season...
:P

I love those ideas! They are basic and so spot-on. I'm on board, specially with repairing the things that need repair. Also, cleaning shoes more often - I feel terrible about this.

Mostly, in my mind, my resolution has to do with paring down but I've gotten to a point where I just can't let go of some things and I can't pare down anymore. So, I am focusing on really letting go and having a capsule for work.

Plus, as we know, keeping things clean and organized makes all the difference.

More black. Always more black. :lol:

Get rid of the pieces I don't need that have been collecting dust, and stop buying things that I KNOW will just end up collecting dust. That's always a resolution of mine, and each year I get better at it, but I know I still need to work on it.

More lingerie for me as well.

More staples.

Better fitted clothing.

Good read ^_^

My resolutions are probably...

1. Continue to shop my closet more.
2. I recently added some upper shelves to my closet (i have really high ceilings) and I need to utilize those in the off-season better so that my rails are less crowded.
3. Give away some of the things I don't wear (I have a really hard time letting go)
4. Figure out a better storage solution for all my shoes.
5. Tailor things that don't fit perfectly. I just had the gaping waist of a skirt taken in and it hugs my body so precisely now that it's all the evidence i need to know that good tailoring is essential (though really, I knew that already).
6. Only buy things I really NEED. I've been better about not overspending (for the most part) but I have fallen victim to the occasional impulse buy that's beed a bit of a waste.

i should add that i am boycotting all products made in China...
that is definitely going to affect my fashion choices/options...

My only resolution is to be a stronger consumer and turn a blind eye as I transit through World Cup madness. God knows I want all of that junk BAD... I even got a DFB tee some weeks ago (technically last year though!), and recently set my eyes on World Cup shoes (WTF!). A pretty douche-y weakness and huge resolution. :lol:

oooh I love threads like this

Here are the ones I've been doing and want to keep up in the future:

- Always check the labels or tags to see where the item is made and what it's made out of. I've now become so adamant about avoiding acrylics and most polyesters while shopping with friend that they have learned to do the same. It also helps me immediately step away from the item (lol) and save money.
- Document my expenses, fashion and non-fashion ones. In my opinion, it's worth the time and the agony. Then I label most of them into three different categories: "smart," "at the time, understandable," "and dumb/what a waste of money/never again." It's helped me not to be so hard on myself and just learn from my mistakes and not make them again.
- Learn the store's return policy before making a purchase. I'm one of those people willing to make another trek to return or exchange an item b/c I'm one of those people who changes my mind all the time. It's good to know I can get my money back or at least get store credit.

This year and into the future:

- Only buy fitted clothing. In the past, I gravitated towards loose clothing and I kinda fluctuated in weight this past year so I'm even more confused about how to achieve this. I was just walking around Anthropologie today and noticed a girl who was wearing skinny jeans and a fitted grey leather jacket. And I looked in the mirror and saw that I was wearing a cropped sweatshirt and really old, really loose, faded jeans. I already made peace with how it was a Nike Dunks kind-of-day with all the cleaning and scrubbing I did earlier in the day but, even so, lesson learned. Also, writing all this out has made me realize I should probably make this resolution "only wear more of my fitted clothing."
- Organize more of my clothing so it's easy to skim through. Currently, the majority is in drawers/suitcases. I think I'm clearing enough closet space that most can all be soon hung.
- Spend less, but when I do, it'll be on quality items/investments.

Looking forward to reading more ^_^

I have been good so far cutting way down on clothes shopping this year.
Plus I donated and consigned some unworn tops, pants, purses and shoes.

1. Buy / Invest in QUALITY pieces, be them vintage or new only buy high quality. (Except for basics like black tanks etc)

2. Accessorize more. Even little earrings can make everything look more put together. Have fun with it but keep it classy.

3. Take your time. Rushing is the enemy of style. Be present and a lovely comfortable outfit should be right in front of you.

4. IRON

5. Define my style. Spending time on Pinterest figuring out what I really like and what feels best on me has helped me with my shopping. I know when I see something if it will fit into my look or if I just 'like' it and will never wear it.

I spent too much money on it just to let it live on a hanger, so I WILL wear this sportscoat this year, after a trek to the dry-cleaners. (my pic)

45a61d2fb52a3579f6777810be1f1c51_zps13788588.jpg

just checking in...
how's everyone doing with these?

mine are going well...
lots of repairs/alterations done...
11 prs of shoes with 1/2 soles...
though, believe it or not...i still have more that need them...
which leads me to believe that i just have a LOT of shoes...
:ninja:...

it's really great to have my clothes in good shape and ready to go...
i'm wearing loads of stuff that i haven't worn in a long time and falling in love all over again...
and they go great with my newest items...
everyone's happy!
^_^

the one thing that i have not done and which is really big for me...
i not only want to add that extra rail to my closet, i would really like to take everything out of it and put it back in differently...
this would be a very big job though so i haven't done it yet...

another one that i have to do-
go into my storage space and pull out some things i have in there...
now that i have these old friends back, i want them all back~!
:clap:

I guess we need a new thread for 2015 ... looks like I did not make any resolutions this year, so no progress to report :wink:

However, I did resolve my shoe storage issue. I bought additional clear shoe boxes for my tower, and I now have a place for every pair.

I guess we need a new thread for 2015 ... looks like I did not make any resolutions this year, so no progress to report :wink:

However, I did resolve my shoe storage issue. I bought additional clear shoe boxes for my tower, and I now have a place for every pair.

did you buy the clear shoe boxes with the flap in the front so you can slip them out easy? i'm considering buying a whole bunch of those from the container store.

^ You mean the little handle? Yes, mine are from the Container Store. I get the men's so there's plenty of room for a high heel or bootie.

The only thing to bear in mind about them is that they're a little slippery when you're carrying them around. (Once they're in place, they have little tracks that lock them together, so that is totally good. Mine are stacked almost as tall as I am.) When I moved last time (clearly I've been using these for a long time, as that was 2001), that was the only thing the movers broke was a couple of these boxes. I think I may have broken one myself once. Stabilizing them with plastic wrap like the Container Store does with filing cabinets would be a great idea for moving or storing.

If you get them in person they put them in the big shopping bags so they're easy to carry.

The boxes on top do collect dust in those little channels and the handles, but a microfiber (and maybe some Q-tips :ninja: ... some people seem to think I'm AR when I mention using them for cleaning) will fix them right up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->