Simon Porte Jacquemus - Designer, Creative Director of Jacquemus

Tomorrow in Capri, Simon Porte Jacquemus will present his "last" collection. The slide stating the collection would be his "last" has since been removed.

Im quite admirative of everything he has done. He is a total product of his time and probably understand more his time than a lot of his contemporaries.
He has pushed branding and personal branding to a new high and is the embodiment of the word « aesthetic » in 2024.

He is maybe the ultimate Art or Creative Director. In a way, the clothes doesn’t matter. It’s about a mood, a feeling, an association.

I may have lost any hope regarding his designs, I’m fascinated still by the man.

he found his niche and ran away with it. Can't really hate him for that, not like he is coming for the big houses. He is very gen z from his price points to his whole brands vibe.

...and now Jacquemus confirmed it was a typo and the show will be his "latest" collection.
Typo or not, kind of a smart move to drum up extra hype during this odd time for brands. He may be simple minded, but he knows his way around social media and branding to make him seem better than he is. Edina Monsoon levels of PR-ing 😅

That’s Jennie right? She’s such a blob fish in the face. No emotions, just pure disinterest. Such a bore.

The way I thought "Lord have mercy" when this thread updated. But the man knew what he did with that "typo". But anyways, Jennie really is the perfect Jacquemus girl, take that as you will.

This guy is such a troll. He's played around with his social media when Celine was up in the air, Givenchy too.
He has stated many times that he is only interested in making his own brand his « Big brand » but maybe because he is stating that on French TV, people get obsessed about the idea of him getting a job.
Getting a big job at a big maison is not a lot of people’s dream, when it’s motivated by creative pretentions. He is probably freer at his own house that he would ever be somewhere else….Because of the huge commercial success he has.

he just did a tour of his own office, huge and beautiful, 300 employees -- in the video he mentions 'they just finished june's collection, and are started on januarys' in april, so surely he did mean his 'last' like 'previous or yeah, latest misspelled

i feel like people critiquing him so harshly here are comparing him to a young halston or hubert dgivenchy or alaia like hes meant to change the way women dress radically and anything less is failure, in this environment now, he is doing great things, he is great, i have no complaints

fast fashion has mucked everything up

Jacquemus gets marketing right and that's the only good thing about this brand. The fits are off, the quality of garments is bad, and the understanding of how clothes actually work on one's body has never really entered the chat, except for that one La Bomba collection that made him a thing. It's not about being radical, it's about being skilled enough to see something is too off to present it on the runway or in the shop, and it's a basic skill for a designer IMO.

Jacquemus gets marketing right and that's the only good thing about this brand. The fits are off, the quality of garments is bad, and the understanding of how clothes actually work on one's body has never really entered the chat, except for that one La Bomba collection that made him a thing. It's not about being radical, it's about being skilled enough to see something is too off to present it on the runway or in the shop, and it's a basic skill for a designer IMO.
he was gathering steam way before la bomba, for quality i can't speak -- are there reports form people buying garments of them falling apart or wearing poorly or are you just making it up? are there so many examples of his clothes being unflattering or not fitting? please 'put up or sht up' i think he has done a lot of similar things, i think he isn't radical or like a raf simons pretentious art world figure, against this metric yes he doesn't stand up, but i dont think he personally is trying to compete in the race that many here are placing him in.. so if hes loosing that race who cares?

i think theres a lot of sh*tty things in this industry right now, death of magazines, private equity ruining everything, shein clothing hauls.. can't we give some grace to someone like simon and see some of the beauty in his creative endeavors? he has said multiple times he doesn't want to jump to some other brand, where a lot of these critiques of him would be deserved, what he is doing at his own brand is his own business, if it succeeds people want it, i dont understand him as a punching bag here.. there's better places to aim the animosity imo

I'm always in two minds when it comes to Simon. On the one hand, I think it's admirable that he has built his brand up to such a success and remained independent, it really is a feat in this day and age and he has my respect for it.

On the other hand, and this isn't necessarily a critique of Simon himself who I think understands his place in the fashion landscape, but I hate the way he is hyped and propped up by leading figures in the industry despite the mediocre quality of his design output (to be honest, most of the ones hyping him are the horny gays).
There is a generation coming up believing that luxury fashion is all about 'aesthetics' and 'vibes' alone and I think that's the downside to the industry overhyping someone like Jacquemus up.

Also, he definitely knew what he was doing with that "last" collection typo...as content as he seems at his own brand, he definitely wants to be on the lips and in the minds of the industry, first when the Givenchy speculation heated up and now with Chanel. No one seriously thinks he is up to the task of a brand like Chanel, but he understands the benefits of his vast Gen Z following mentioning and advocating his name in the same breath of a prestigious house like Chanel, it keeps his name and brand on the forefront of the fashion conversation (at least the online conversation). Again, all this despite the mediocrity of his design propositions...quite brilliant, really. All hype, very little substance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katiepeaches
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->