spring/summer 06 jewelry trend preview

soft-I couldn't agree with you more....it is soooo frustrating for me....for example, this past Fall I had people looking for all the tweed looks I had from MiuMiu f/w03....."last year you had this skirt"...when I couldn't give it away at 80% off at the end of that season.....and the "tunics" that Old Navy is pushing don't even really look like tunics to me:wink:

As far as jewelry, I'm not too sure, but I think that big and bold will still be happening. As much as I love the one-off looking pieces that you speak of Lena, I don't see that being wildly successful, esp in USA. Loving the idea of a new romantic though.

lena you mean like this?
jewelr12.gif

^ circa 5000 bc as stated

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]MID AND LATE VICTORIAN PERIOD: [/font][font=verdana,arial,helvetica]1850-1890[/font]

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]With the reign of Queen Victoria, Great Britain, like France, became a major jewelry center. The Industrial Revolution was creating a growing middle class that used jewelry to flaunt its new- found wealth. And with mechanization came the ability to mine precious metals and gemstones as well as to mass produce jewelry.[/font]

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]The romantic image of the young queen and her beloved consort, Prince Albert, influenced styles of her early and mid-reign. Seed pearls, shell cameos, strands of pearls and small colored stones such as garnets, amethysts and topaz were fashionable. With Albert's death in 1861, jewelry changed drastically as Victoria adopted heavy', somber jewelry to express her grief. Typical materials were jet, black onyx, tortoise shell and hair (usually horse hair), often set into heavy gold work.[/font]

http://www.indygem.com/productinfo_antiqueperiod.htm

i would love to see some art deco-simple geometric pins..very bauhaus.

btw i think you might be on target lena. the shell/ hair is very primitive-romantic and nonfuss...i could definately see that being paired with black onyx and some heavy gold...

purechris said:
soft-I couldn't agree with you more....it is soooo frustrating for me....for example, this past Fall I had people looking for all the tweed looks I had from MiuMiu f/w03....."last year you had this skirt"...when I couldn't give it away at 80% off at the end of that season.....and the "tunics" that Old Navy is pushing don't even really look like tunics to me:wink:

As far as jewelry, I'm not too sure, but I think that big and bold will still be happening. As much as I love the one-off looking pieces that you speak of Lena, I don't see that being wildly successful, esp in USA. Loving the idea of a new romantic though.

I agree about that. The tunic doesn't even look like tunics. Especially in the advertistements. I don't like them at all. I call them jesus shirts. Gah.

<3 Me.

Oh and Ive gotten into rose and black gold. I think they're soo chic and classic but still fresh cause they're not common.

fireatwill said:
I don't think it's that were necessarily behind. It's just that at different times a country likes a certain look. Besides, every fashion is usually recycled. If you liked the tunic 2 years ago, maybe it's just being recycled again.

I just think that every country has a taste for something at a certain time. No one is necessarily behind each other.

Just my opinion. Because when we start comparing fashion sense between countries it can get a little heated. And I wouldn't want that to happen.

<3 me.

honey...we're from the same country... :D :wink:

thanks travolta...that's what i thought...cameos, etc...
i don't think of that as the industrial age...but that's just me...
i think of that as more romantic...

but it sounds like we're all talking about the same stuff...
thanks for clearing it up dear...:flower:

travolta, thanks for the 'research' but ...i wasnt talking at all about shell accessories.

As for the 1850-1890 well, apart from the victorian 'romanticism'
there has been a huge 'labour' movement, a momentus imigration
(see from europe to the -then- new world) and utilitarian looks
which people used to wear while working in the factories.
the 1800s was not just frills and lace.. and this
(the mix of labour & frills) is what trend forecast agencies been
talking about..

excuses if i make it hard for you to understand the point there...
and we certainly dont talk about reproducing exact styles from this era,
its only an influence, an inspiration..

*chris, i know what you are talking about
(i used to have my own boutique), so yes..
the 'do you still stock what you had last year'... oh i know this too well.
But its only a fraction of my clients that used to 'be behind'
still i can see your point.
when i talk about trends catching up in 'real time' i'm talking of
'metropolis' the big urban cities of this planet, not the countryside towns
or little villages.

so lena...if it's going more towards a 'utilitarian' factory worker look...(which, again i think of as much later..but..no matter)....then wouldn't that mean less frills and then also less accessories...:unsure:...

is that it?...:huh:
i'm really interested and trying to understand...:flower:

for some reason, i think there will be a turn, a change in fashion... because the world economy is not so recovered, and all kinds of terrorist happened in the past year, there is a need on happiness... i could see there is a trend on people enjoying their happiness moment... (this is from the forecasting agenies) 50s will be back to fashion~do u guys think 50's is coming back? that is the most perfect time, people had their perfect family, perfect job and wonderful economy.... everything was so good....

but the 50s has come and go in a way sasa.. the reasoning you give for 'happiness trend' is very sound but seems that people now need more extreme 'escapism' than the 'pink' 50s and anyway i'm just talking from the point of the trend forecasting books, i'm not just 'expressing' my opinion here :wink:

softie, both the utilitarian factory look (which can have lots of accessories) and the 'clean cut' middle class look will be on the rise.. but dont think 'literaly' just the mood, maybe fabrics (watch out for jeans rising.. again yes) , shapes, details.

thats according to -at least two- trend forecasting agencies.
other moods for ss06 : tribal, naive folk and kitch a-la 1001 nights (paisleys, shine, strange colours)

i believe the horn-trend will still be on "spot" in a year.

NMM7172_mn.jpg

I remember buying some horns a year ago, but it's a trend in Europe [At least Greece and Cyprus]

nice trend i may say. jingle too. lol

For jewelry I am liking ‘sentimental’ pieces—think hand engraved friendship hearts from the Victorian era and mourning jewelry as inspiration (incorporating photographs, locks of hair….)

In terms of general moods/inspirations: Danish modern pottery and
a romantic mood with a charming & strange ‘burtonesque’ twist :rolleyes:

Moda_junkie said:
i believe the horn-trend will still be on "spot" in a year.

I remember buying some horns a year ago, but it's a trend in Europe [At least Greece and Cyprus]

nice trend i may say. jingle too. lol

I like it too...but have no idea where to get it.

here extracts from a report from wwd of today on NY accessories trade fair for spring 06 and pronto (latest trends for fw05.06)
as you'll see turn of the century/victorian styles are there.. just as predicted :wink:

At last week’s Accessorie Circuit at the Show Piers and AccessoriesTheShow at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center here, designers presented everything from wooden jewelry and layered necklaces for spring to somber black and Russian-inspired looks for fall. The large numbers of trends and their broad range made it somewhat difficult for buyers, and even vendors, to focus.

... a new trend in fashion jewelry for fall was the movement toward a sort of melancholy femininity and the strong use of black stones and beads.

“I was inspired by the somber palette on the runways this season,’’ said Roxanne Assoulin, designer of Lee Angel. “After binging on embellishment and bright color, you have to fast.”

Assoulin offered black and midnight blue bib necklaces intertwined throughout with velvet ribbons, intricate chains and silk flowers.

Gerard Yosca, who offered a scalloped fake-ivory pendant on a long black cord, said, “[The look is] really Victorian mourning jewelry. Black has been strong because it’s not dumb black. It’s got an iridescence or a touch of dark blue.”

Erickson Beamon showed a complete collection of black jewelry. Faceted jet and beads were formed into elaborate swag necklaces, with a lacing of rich black leather roses. Angélique de Paris continued the black theme with roses in a resin and sterling silver ring, with two rosettes. Nine West showed vintage-looking black and crystal paste-like earrings at their showroom.

Although some of the black and moody pieces might be seen as depressing, vendors said business continues to boom. Jeweler Alexis Bittar, who touched on the Victorian theme with his Lace collection in which the jeweler transformed strands of seed pearls to resemble long lace earrings and dainty chokers, said he is close to signing a lease for a new store in Manhattan’s West Village and that sales are up from last year.
Some designers were still showing bohemian looks that were strong for spring.

Hobo handbag shapes in soft, crinkled lambskin, as offered by Junior Drake and Gustto. Gustto’s version, inspired by a chic Parisian woman from the Seventies, was gray, with light brown piping and polished quarter-sized grommets at its corners. Handbag designer Lauren Merkin showed an unconstructed shoulder bag in dark teal velvet.

More peppy and optimistic looks were offered at Eliza Grey, whose canvas tote was trimmed in a variety of brights, including lime and aqua, each with the company’s signature jeweled brooch in assorted shapes like elephants and starfish.

Belts were maintaining the momentum seen for spring. Kooba launched leather belts in shades of cognac, chocolate and tobacco brown, with brushed gold grommets, its first new category since handbags. B-Low The Belt showed simple leather belts with batik and tooled detailing, and Helen Welsh offered leather belts with crystal studded buckles

^ thanks for the article, lena. :heart: I have always found the victorian jewellry very appealing, and wear it often as it is. much more suited to me. I've recently been pulling out my old lockets, as well as some of my russian enamelled jewellry. it looks very unique and pretty when everyone else is wearing great big colourful statement pieces and ethnic jewellry.

nr9dream said:
In terms of general moods/inspirations: Danish modern pottery and
a romantic mood with a charming & strange ‘burtonesque’ twist :rolleyes:

I love how you describe this...'burtonesque'... ^_^ :heart:

Lena, i love to read your posts, their so informative!. I would also like to know what's the psychology behind the victorian/utilitarian factory trend? Do you happen to know that by any chance?

Thanks so much in advance, Nelly

softgrey said:
lena...i don't really understand what the 'industrial era' means?...:huh:

but as far as mass market..i know that the knock-offs are in the stores right away these days...but it still seems to me that the 'masses' don't actually really start wearing things en masse for a couple of seasons...

for example..the wedge that is happeneing so big this season...i feel like we saw hints of it here and there for a couple of seasons at some of the leading houses...but now suddenly it's EVERYWHERE...same with the whole boho trend...we would see it here and there...but now it's flooded the market...

you know what i mean?...i'm talking about what i'm actually seeing on the streets, and not necessarily the streets of nyc...but in more mainstream parts of the country and in suburbs....where they are still a bit slow to catch on to trends...and where the masses are...

hasn't anyone else noticed this?...

:flower:

Yessss! I know a LOT of people who still think those enormous shoulder-flowers like what they wore on "Sex in the City" are cool. Ditto pointy-toed shoes. It takes a very long time for the trends to hit the central part of the country, generally speaking. By the time kids in Kansas City are wearing it, kids in NYC are three seasons gone.

As You Like It said:
Yessss! I know a LOT of people who still think those enormous shoulder-flowers like what they wore on "Sex in the City" are cool. Ditto pointy-toed shoes. It takes a very long time for the trends to hit the central part of the country, generally speaking. By the time kids in Kansas City are wearing it, kids in NYC are three seasons gone.

:lol: at least the trend gets there B)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->