spring/summer 06 jewelry trend preview

softgrey said:
so lena...if it's going more towards a 'utilitarian' factory worker look...(which, again i think of as much later..but..no matter)....then wouldn't that mean less frills and then also less accessories...:unsure:...

is that it?...:huh:
i'm really interested and trying to understand...:flower:

Back in the 1880-/90s there was a big renewal of interest in what they considered "primitive" handicrafts, as a reaction against so many factory-made, amss-produced goods. In regards to fashion, this meant that there was a big revival in smocking, hand-tucking, and "rustic" embroidery, and the fashion extremist group of the time, the Aesthetics, devised an entirely fresh style of dresses which were loosely fitting, frequently of earthy tones, which featured a great deal of hand-wrought trimming and finishing. Accessories were a big point of fashion among the Aesthetes, especially when made from organic materials like carved wood and ivory or made in very traditional ways. Think Pier 1 hippies, 115 years ago. Very middle-class progressive. Paul Poiret was the biggest designer to come out of this influence, though Mario Fortuny's fabrics and gowns were hightly sought after, and Liberty of London had a range of printed silks and cottons that appealed highly to the Aesthetic crowd.

My favorite architectural style arose from this era, as well. The Arts & Crafts, and its American interpretation Craftsman, which relied on a pared down appearance with minimal surface decoration, relying on quality of materials and workmanship for a great deal of its beauty. Clever convenience became a byword, as well, and many Craftsman-era houses had cool built-in furnishings. In many, many houses, you enter the front door and face the stairs up to the second floor. Built into the alcove underneath the stairs is a bench so you can sit down and take off your shoes. This was when the fitted kitchen began to come into its own, and many builders thoughtfully included built-in bookcases in the living rooms and built-in washstand nooks or vanities in bedrooms. The houses of the Arts & Crafts era were often finished out with things like stained-glass trim over parlor windows, rustic carvings on exposed wooden beam ends, intricate parquetry floors, and decorative tile work in the kitchen and bath. The main thing was to display the builders' craftsmanship without excesive reliance on gingerbread trim and elaborate pre-stamped tinwork.

Oddly, however, among the working-classes, people still wanted as fancy-looking of clothes as they could get. You should read Ladies of Labor, Girls of Adventure, which explains the turn-of-the-century working-class aesthetic perfectly and makes those heady days of factory riots and women's lib protestors so vivid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, here's my first post. ^_^

I'm in a trading company and doing SS 06 for some of our customers. Most customer doing SS 06 now all want Shell jewelry and wood jewelry. Seems no more casting. Beads just so so.

Are they (wood and shell) the only pop items for SS 06?

Colors they choose were not so bright as last season. Like bull red, tacoma olive,...etc. Kind of Gypsy styles.

What do you think the main colors for SS 06 Jewelry?

Tks in advance for everyone that helps. :P

i can see a lot of rusty/tarnished metals working their way in ss06 if not fw06 for some reason

In the pictures I've seen of factory workers, they're recognizably wearing the clothes of the day, but less jewelry (if any). Accessories would be ribbons, something affordable. You also sometimes see fairly slovenly hair--very similar to the mussed Edwardian dos we've been seeing in fashion mags lately now that I think about it :smile:

Victorian jewelry is always in in my world ... I've loved it all my life and have collected a fair amount. I think all the garnets would look great for Fall ... remember the opals set in rose gold Marc Jacobs showed? Victorians would have combined them with something else like garnets or pearls, but the individual elements are Victorian ones.

I'm personally not sure how much of the black, jet, will still be around for Spring ... I would expect a bit of a resurgence of color due to the nature of the season. I guess pearls are pretty big right now ... those would work for spring.

Nader said:
i can see a lot of rusty/tarnished metals working their way in ss06 if not fw06 for some reason

Nader, you're right. Burnish metal has a position in SS06. Seems like people still affacted by Vintage styles.

White will always be a hot summer jewelry color.. :wink:

qingyouju said:
Most customer doing SS 06 now all want Shell jewelry and wood jewelry. Seems no more casting. Beads just so so.

Are they (wood and shell) the only pop items for SS 06?

Colors they choose were not so bright as last season. Like bull red, tacoma olive,...etc. Kind of Gypsy styles.

welcome to tFS qingyouju :flower:
not sure which continent you are sourcing for but wood and shell has been run its course already so i can't see this being top trend for next summer...i mean it will be there but not as focus point, more like the follow up of last season's looks
i will certainly agree on colours getting more 'toned down' as you said..

fashionista-ta gave you the best hint for ss06, the turn-of-the-century look is destined to go huge (see black beads and serious retro influences)
'dark' romantic looks also will come up, nostalgia is there but not the thrift shop 50's 60's styles..
i can predict a rise in 'minimalism' bold shapes, non decorated jewlerry, a kind of primitivism..

colours? black, ivory, red , maybe some toned down yellow and dont forget the blue ..its on the rise :flower:

regardless how much i dont like it.. seems that the aquatic theme will be strong with mainstream retailers for ss06

here some visuals from wwd

Attachments

• 072505_13p[1].jpg
    072505_13p[1].jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 072505_4p[1].jpg
    072505_4p[1].jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 072505_1p[1].jpg
    072505_1p[1].jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 072505_2p[1].jpg
    072505_2p[1].jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 11
:D Lena, tks for your lovely flower. Love to share and discuss fashion things with all lovely bs & gs in here. :lol:

My company selling costume jewelry to US market. One of our customer is very big in US and we've present Spring samples a few days ago and will do the summer presentation in the middle of next month. So tired in preparing samples to show.....:cry: no time to rest.....

Their themes for SS 06 were natural. And also asked us to shell presentation for the summer programme. As you said, the shell and wood story is in the market now. So, just wondering why they still emphasis on those so much.

When my colleagues and I saw the colors.....Woo....:yuk: kind of boring.....

But still have Tur, green and coral to make a fresh^_^

Hahaha I have that fish necklace, I bought it from a junk shop.

Personaly I don't like shell jewelry.

I am unsure, because the big&bold yet very simple wooden pieces are already very 'in' at the moment, as well as simple classic (victorian) pieces.

I do agree with the rustic colours, olives, reds, blues, yellows, burnt orange. I really hope petrol and ash colours in to jewelry too.

the aquatic jewellry makes me thing of old ladies in pastel coloured tracksuits who have holiday homes in florida. I'm with you lena, I'm not a fan of this at all.

I'm personally buying up delicate victorian jewellry from antique shops...but I never needed any incentive to do this. I think it's lovely. I am especially keeping an eye out for 'memento' type jewellry...such as victorian keepsake rings and bracelets, lockets, etc. for some reason they seem so right for the upcoming seasons.

qingyouju said:
My company selling costume jewelry to US market.

please PM me your details if you like (where are u based and if you have a website where we can see your lines??..)

i'm consulting a big importer who is planning to go into accessories, we might work together qingyouju :wink:

I am also a jewellery designer just starting out..I have my pieces in a few shops here in Australia which is great!! I love making jewellery, its so satisfying to make a piece of jewellery that you love and that another person can wear and enjoy!

utopia said:
the aquatic jewellry makes me thing of old ladies in pastel coloured tracksuits who have holiday homes in florida. I'm with you lena, I'm not a fan of this at all.

not a fan of this either... I just can't get used to it.

me neither, it something my mum may like, but not me.. no way

This jewelry isfrom my design school friend Levy Palmer check out more info at: http://www.ashadedviewonfashion.com i just love it!!

How do you feel about chunky versus small jewellery?

Also does anyone feel for kitsch pastels/plastics as an alternative to all the naturals. Think Dior SS05...

Would love to know your thoughts. Am concerned that the Marni look might be overcooked by Spring.

Jewelry will definitely be more delicate, carefree and feminine.... Not bold/chunky pieces.... The pieces Lena posted are exquisite. :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->