Steal this Look : A Look Inside Forever 21

Just because something is expensive and some may deem it overpriced (which truly is in the eye of the beholder) doesn't justify stealing the design to make a huge profit.

I understand and I agree, but I'm just trying to understand why people buy their clothes because their must be a reason.
Also, I've noticed that F21 transcends "class." Hm, what I mean by that is you can find a F21 anywhere. In L.A., for example, you can find it at the Beverly Center, strategically place at the top across from H&M, or you can also find it at the Panorama mall. I think F21 also allows a sense of validity to anyone who wears it because it so affordable. Cheap, but you get what you pay for.

I went to a couple of Forever 21 stores when I was visiting the US last year. The quality is AWFUL, buttons falling off with the slightest touch, wonky stitching, loose stitching & cheap fabric. Kinda like Primark over here in the UK I guess?

Also, I don't understand those who buy it just because 'oh it's cheap!', because it falls apart after a few wears...why not save a few more $ and buy something better quality that will last longer?
A lot of the stuff at Forever 21 is extremely trendy and probably not something you want to be wearing for years. So the fact that it's cheap is a huge appeal.

Also, some people, especially younger people (who tend to be F21's customers), will never have the money to justify buying expensive clothes, no matter how much they save. Believe it or not, for some people, buying even a few pieces at stores like F21 is a splurge.

And not that I'm really defending the quality of their clothes (because it's really not that great), but I bought a pretty basic black dress there about a year ago, and I've worn it about a thousand times and it's still in great shape.

In regards to whether they're stealing or not..well, they are. But I guess for their prices I can get over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of the stuff at Forever 21 is extremely trendy and probably not something you want to be wearing for years. So the fact that it's cheap is a huge appeal.

Also, some people, especially younger people (who tend to be F21's customers), will never have the money to justify buying expensive clothes, no matter how much they save. Believe it or not, for some people, buying even a few pieces at stores like F21 is a splurge.

And not that I'm really defending the quality of their clothes (because it's really not that great), but I bought a pretty basic black dress there about a year ago, and I've worn it about a thousand times and it's still in great shape.

In regards to whether they're stealing or not..well, they are. But I guess for their prices I can get over it.

I Agree morgan38! I'm in college, and I can't afford the real thing. One day I will, but until then i have to settle for F21.

Their accessories store, For Love 21, is very cheap quality. I picked up a necklace and accidentally dropped it, it broke in 5 places, and it wasn't like I slammed it to the ground.

I do find it extremely wrong though that they create the knockoff before the original has hit the stores. Let the people who came up with it, show it off first.

Though I can't afford the designers, I applaud every single one of them that takes F21 to court

I really have very little sympathy for people who buy F21 because they "can't afford anything else". Most of the people that I know who shop there DON'T have jobs, and DO splurge. I'm a full-time college student, and I work on the side. I can afford to buy expensive pieces ($200-300 dresses, for instance), because I save my money whenever I can - that includes buying groceries instead of eating out, cutting my own hair, and keeping away from cheaper stores such as GAP & F21 that might tempt me to spend even $30 on a cheap dress. Every bit adds up.

I'm a pure capitalist, but I just think F21 is thievery. What they're doing should be illegal, and I'm glad that people like DvF have been able to bring legal action against them.

I wasn't implying that someone should save up all their money for designer clothing, that's not practical! Personally though, I would rather buy one £30 top than several £6 ones from Primark. However it's all really just a matter of opinion eh? :P

Disco54 you will never see houses like YSL, Prada or Lanvin giving a f*** because in fashion , imitation is the highest form of flatter.
Au contraire:
YSL did in fact win a vast settlement against Ralph Lauren for having copied a halter dress. Chanel spends a fortune in Europe prosecuting black market goods that bear any resemblance to the C's, chains and quilting (and advertise the fact in newspapers).
Prada has also gone after manufacturers of fake piece goods for their bag components as well.
When one pays for a designer item it is not only for the inspiration but the research that has gone into the construction, print, technology and detailing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't implying that someone should save up all their money for designer clothing, that's not practical! Personally though, I would rather buy one £30 top than several £6 ones from Primark. However it's all really just a matter of opinion eh? :P
Some people can't afford a £30 top. I know it's hard for a lot people on this board to believe that, but it's true.

If I can I will save up to buy a nicer piece of clothing, I will. But sometimes money's tight, and it's not like I'm gonna risk not making rent so that I can buy a tank top.

A lot of F21's stuff is crap, but some of their more basic stuff is cute, not stolen from anyone, and of perfectly acceptable quality.

I'm aware that some folk have financial difficulties, but a lot of people shop there that can afford to shop elsewhere. They only buy it because it's 'cheap fast fashion' - that I don't get. Why would you want to buy something that's 'trendy' for 5 minutes?

well said. karma. :flower:

That article was a great read for me because I had no idea about the background of the company or the owners... Very interesting.

I'll admit that I occasionally shop at Forever 21. The clothes are trendy and cheap. You can't expect the quality to be great since they are produced so quickly and cheaply, but I've never had something I bought from there fall apart on me! :unsure:

For example, I have a cotton patterned dress I bought from there in Summer 2006 and it's still going strong. I have a cute little winter hat I bought this season and it's held up just fine (better than the gloves I bought at H&M this winter and fell apart after ONE WEAR!). I have a cream colored 3/4 sleeve length coat with large buttons that I bought in Spring 2007 and it's still looking good. I reinforced the buttons with extra string so they wouldn't pop off. I could name a handful of other items I have (including sunglasses, another dress, a thermal, etc) that I've had awhile too and have worn numerous times and are still in fine condition. I think it's important to pick good fabrics and really examine the items in store to make sure the quality is okay. You can usually tell if something is going to fall about after a few wears by looking at the quality in the store. There is a lot of crap in that store so you just have to be wise about what you're buying.

I really want to see this one pic of the Changs. :ninja:

I have to agree with my fellow poor tFsers; I can barely afford Forever 21! I am not going to save all of my paychecks for a Marc Jacobs bag because I have more important things, like gas and insurance, to take care of. It's a bit unfair to deny being fashionable to those of us without means. Forever 21 isn't stealing away possible couture customers, trust me.

That said, I personally prefer stores like TJ Maxx, where you can get slightly imperfect or overstocked items for a fraction of the pice they normally are. And I have to agree with TheKiwi, I've got a few things from F21 that, honestly, have lasted me better than the things from H&M. :ninja:

^ I'm glad someone agrees with me! :wink: And I agree with your point about how Forever 21 isn't stealing away couture customers. But I think the issue most people have with Forever 21 isn't that they're stealing customers, but that it isn't fair for one person to spend $300 on an authentic designer top and then see someone walking down the street in a knock-off version that they bought for $19.99 at F21. I've seen a lot of very blatant knock-offs at F21 of Marc Jacobs stuff. I think F21 should focus more on making cute clothes that are keeping up with trends, but aren't blatantly ripping them off.

I went to a couple of Forever 21 stores when I was visiting the US last year. The quality is AWFUL, buttons falling off with the slightest touch, wonky stitching, loose stitching & cheap fabric. Kinda like Primark over here in the UK I guess?

Also, I don't understand those who buy it just because 'oh it's cheap!', because it falls apart after a few wears...why not save a few more $ and buy something better quality that will last longer?

Because some people like the idea of "self destructive clothing"...or rather, let me say that it's not that big of a deal to a lot of people that the clothing they purchase from F21 only lasts one season because the clothing they sell is so trendy, it's only going to be in style for that one season anyways.

*Of course, not every single piece in their store is that way...I bought a very basic brown sweater from there 3 years ago for less than 20 bucks that still looks like new today.

^ But it's not as if there's only an option of buying the overpriced designer item or buying the cheaply made knockoff. There's a lot of grey area due to the whole trickle down effect, plenty of companies, private labels and chain stores provide fashionable clothes at more reasonable prices and decent quality. And while they most likely take a lot of inspiration from what the high end designers show, they all don't blatantly rip it off, they take a sleeve here, a silhouette there, adopt a similar print....

Just because something is expensive and some may deem it overpriced (which truly is in the eye of the beholder) doesn't justify stealing the design to make a huge profit.

ITA with you...

I'm aware that some folk have financial difficulties, but a lot of people shop there that can afford to shop elsewhere. They only buy it because it's 'cheap fast fashion' - that I don't get. Why would you want to buy something that's 'trendy' for 5 minutes?

That is exactly why people DO buy from places like F21--why pay more for an item because it'll last for 5 years if all you want is a TRENDY item that fits a TREND that's only going to be around for 5 minutes?

May be hard to understand, but just like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is what it means to be fashionable.

Thanks to the OP for posting this article...this was a very interesting read. When it comes down to it, I agree that what they are doing is wrong...it is wrong to steal others' designs.

Does anyone here follow Scafidi's site (counterfeitchic.com)? She's got some interesting info on her FAQ's page:

http://faqs.counterfeitchic.com/
--------------------------------------------------

1. Doesn’t intellectual property law protect fashion?
It depends – and it’s complicated. Here’s a very general description of U.S. law in the area. Keep in mind that the law is constantly changing, and that each country’s law is different. In terms of the spectrum of legal protection for fashion design, the U.S. level is quite low.
Intellectual property law actually refers to several categories of protection, including trademark, copyright, and patent. Additional forms of protection exist, particularly in foreign law. Each category can be used to protect certain aspects of fashion, but most intellectual property laws were not written with clothing or accessories in mind.
Trademarks are the symbols used to indicate the source of goods – think Chanel Cs or the ubiquitous Nike swoop. They can appear on packaging, on the label, or as part of the design of the item itself. This is the strongest and cheapest protection available for luxury goods, especially if the trademark is registered with the government. Trade dress is a subset of trademark law that might protect the overall look of an item itself, if that item is iconic – the Hermès Birkin bag, for example.
Copyright protects literary and artistic works, but not functional creations. That rules out most fashion, unless (and here’s the tricky part) the design is separable from the function. Don’t worry if that doesn’t make sense; courts don’t yet agree on exactly how this works either. One simple example is a T-shirt with a picture on the front. The picture can be conceptually removed and protected by copyright; the T-shirt itself is not protected.
So, is fashion art? Counterfeit Chic’s patron saint/avenging angel Coco Chanel said no, but the question is still open to debate.
Patents apply to new inventions – convenient if you’re a scientist working on the next Velcro or Spandex, but not if you’ve only raised hemlines for spring. The process of obtaining a patent is also expensive and time-consuming; do not try this at home.
And just when you thought you understood all of this and were ready for the exam, there’s something called a design patent, which can protect the aesthetic elements of an item.
Well, with all of this law out there, why can discounters copy a designer’s runway look before it even hits the stores?

A new clothing or accessory design typically falls between the cracks of the intellectual property system. The label is probably protected by trademark, but the design may not yet be sufficiently iconic to be protected by trade dress. Since the item is functional, copyright doesn’t apply. Very few garments or accessories actually meet the standards of patentability; even if they did, getting a patent takes months or years.
So what’s a designer to do? Get to work on next season.

2. Counterfeits, knock-offs, replicas, copies, high street versions – what’s the difference?

Translated into legalese, “counterfeits” refer to trademarks or trade dress reproduced without authorization – that is, illegal goods.​

The term “infringing” indicates violation of trademark, copyright, or patent law. In common usage, “fake” also typically refers to prohibited items; additional consumer protection laws may apply.​

Depending on the context, the other terms may refer either to illegal activity or simply to forms of manufacturing that are not particularly original. Oh, and “high street”? That’s British for a town’s main shopping street, where chain stores may sell their own versions of the latest designer frock. What was that about two countries separated by a common language?​

3. If counterfeit handbags, sunglasses, DVDs, etc. are illegal, why are they so easy to find online and on the street?

Law enforcement resources are limited, and pursuing counterfeiters is expensive. This issue is especially controversial in less affluent countries and in countries without major creative industries that would benefit from enforcement.​

And let’s face it, the market responds to consumer demand . . .​

their stuff is of extremely cheap material , none the less , the fashion houses which are suing them are sort of petty , you will never see houses like YSL, Prada or Lanvin giving a f*** because in fashion , imitation is the highest form of flatter. Anyways , IMO , Forever21 has deteriated in the past 2 years , save for a few tshirts and tops , their pants and skirts are horrible in fitting . They will burst at one point . For people who do want to be cheap chic , its the place to go , but lately lots of the F21 , is stale IMO and bad quality.
Agreed. I also don't shop there as I don't like to buy poorly-made clothing. :yuk:

i have a feeling that the companies that forever 21 hires to manafacture and design the garments are using other brands as "samples".

a few years ago marie claire did a big story about wage abuse at their Los Angeles factory...

My friends family owns one of garment factories that manufacture for Forever 21....they make for other stores too like Bebe and sometimes you'll see similarities in their designs so there's some truth in that I think. I never asked my friend though.

As for the Changs, theyre interesting people....hardcore bible thumpers...but I must say, after being by their house, my god that is lavish sh*t that it's kinda contradictory to their religious life....Only thing I give them kudos- they speak spanish to their maids instead of boss them around in spanglish. :lol:

These shops are only so popular bc of the "fast fashion" thing that is big at the moment. People will mix a £3 tee with a £500 (or more) bag.

Give it a few years and things will change----people will bore of the poor quality cheap items....how the stores will change is debatable? Will they bother following consumers desires for better quality pieces?? *shrug* Who knows.....but im sure people will tire of spending there hard earned cash on an item that falls apart after a few wears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yujiaolong666
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->