Storyboards?

Reaction score
Right, what is the main jist of a storyboard in fashion design? I often tend to turn it into a moodboard rather than a storyboard....

So.. storyboard includes final illustration? --> colour? :unsure:

Ok im just confusing myself even more :lol:

Originally posted by FoxyC@May 24th, 2004 - 3:11 pm
Right, what is the main jist of a storyboard in fashion design? I often tend to turn it into a moodboard rather than a storyboard....

So.. storyboard includes final illustration? --> colour? :unsure:

Ok im just confusing myself even more :lol:
Storyboard and moodboards are the same thing AFAIK

As Far As I Know = AFAIK

Well I've been a designer in the fashion trade for 13 years and some of my clients call them mood boards and some call them storyboards.

I'm British BTW.

Oh i see.

The thing is though, my fashion teacher (also british), who has also been in the fashion business for a long time has distinguished a storyboard and moodboard, i just dont seem to get it... :unsure:

i found this. i am not sure if it's very helpful, though...

2.5 Mood Boards
Mood boards are a technique widely used in advertising and interior design. Quite simply you gather visual stimuli that capture something of how you feel about the design – photographs and other images, colours, textures, shapes, headlines from newspapers or magazines, quotes, etc. You can put pages from websites you like on mood boards. If you use blu-tack or something similar then you can add and delete items from the mood board as your thinking about the design changes.
The rule with mood boards is that ‘anything goes’. The point of the board is not to formally represent some aspect of the design, simply to act as inspiration – perhaps promoting a particular line of thought, or providing inspiration for a colour scheme. One technique is to get the client to create a mood board. This can give you an insight into the kinds of aesthetics that are likely to appeal to them. You could also get end users to do the same, perhaps in a focus group.
Question: How would you create a mood board that could inspire through non-static/visual media?

2.6 Storyboards
Storyboarding is a technique taken from film making – using a simple cartoon like structure key moments from the interactive experience are represented. The advantage of storyboarding is that it allows you to get a feel for the ‘flow’ of the experience. It is also a very economical way of representing the design – a single page can hold 6-8 ‘scenes’. There are three types of storyboarding commonly found in interactive media design:
 Traditional storyboarding: A storyboard for a film would usually have some notes attached to each scene expanding on what will happen – this allows you to overcome the limitations of representing what will ultimately be a dynamic experience in a static medium.
 Scored storyboards: If your website or application has a lot of motion graphics you might consider using a notation to score your storyboard (see below) – a sketch is annotated with appropriate notation and notes about e.g. type, colours, images, sound and other issues are attached underneath
 Text only storyboards – useful if the application has a lot of very complex sequences. You can specify what images appear, what text accompanies them, any accompanying media, and general notes about tone, flow, etc.

http://www.soc.napier.ac.uk/module.php3?op...ctureid=5477228

Thank you Purr, although after reading that it only boosts my knowledge of moodboarding :lol: and still leaves me confused with storyboards.

So a storyboard .. e.g you design eveningwear, so you show panel illustrations of this 'evening gown' in a restaurant or something? :unsure: but then what else? As it obviously needs some kind of flow and sequence to it lol

Originally posted by FoxyC@May 25th, 2004 - 9:25 am
Thank you Purr, although after reading that it only boosts my knowledge of moodboarding :lol: and still leaves me confused with storyboards.

So a storyboard .. e.g you design eveningwear, so you show panel illustrations of this 'evening gown' in a restaurant or something? :unsure: but then what else? As it obviously needs some kind of flow and sequence to it lol
my impression is a modd board consists in the main idea of your design whereas in the storyboard you assmble it. for example, a mood board would be "black skirt, green top, spring-summer" and the storyboard would consist in a croquis and accurate details of the fabrics and the "feeling" (eg. romantic, chic, sporsty) you want to give to them.

but i am only guessing :blush:

Yeh i know what a moodboard is :P its the storyboard concept which im still not understanding.. i mean, how would it be setout? like a comic book strip? :unsure:

Or maybe im just really thick :lol:

So, what my clients call a story/mood board is neither of those things.

What I've always done /what everyone I've ever worked with has ever done, is to get a great big board and stick loads of pictures on it (cut from magazines, usually) to give the general mood or story for the trend.

I sometimes work for big UK highstreet chainstores (New Look, Marks and Spencer are two examples) so I'm sure they'd have told me by now if I was getting it wrong.

Perhaps things have changed :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->