Style vs. Stylist : Who Is Actually Fashionable?

Luxx

oh me, oh my
Reaction score
Actresses are often held up as fashion icons - it makes sense that they are given that they have access to the hottest clothes, the newest bags and front row at every fashion show.

But how much of that is real and how much is illusion? Which stars do you feel have style that is the result of a well trained stylist and which do you think are the result of personal choices? Do you feel working with a stylist means an actress isn't really fashionable or do you think its just another sign of the times?

One example of an actresses original style versus the style she has once she begins working with a stylist.

Before * After * Kirsten & Her Stylist Nicole Chavez at Fashion Week

65swux.jpg

Kirsten's style wasn't horrific before (at least not in my opinion) it was just sort of boring or normal. Once she began working with Nicole Chavez her clothing became much more interesting and a whole lot cuter - better labels and more unique pieces. Since she has a stylist who brought forth these changes does that mean that she (and the hundreds of other actresses who rely on their stylists) is not truly as fashionable as someone who doesn't use a stylist?

Image Credit | KirstenB.net

Def. Yes but at the same time Im sure that they have some role (however small it may be)in what they where.

Of course it's an illusion, but there isn't anything terrible about that. These celebrities have a certain image to maintain and stylists help them do that. Also, just because you use a stylist doesn't mean you shouldn't be a fashion icon. For example, my friend is chubby, she won't lie, and she looks to see what Queen Latifah and America Farrah are wearing because she knows it will work on her body type as well. Even though someone else picked out the outfit for them, they know what would look best on their body. It shouldn't matter if they would have picked it out on their own or not.

It doesn't really matter that much to me, even though I think the term style icon is overused in general, but I can't really say how stylish someone should be considered when I don't actually know how much input they really have in what they wear. But I appreciate someone's style more when I know they picked things themselves.

oh great idea.

i think Reese Witherspoon is a good example. she's really improved but some of her old style is still in there which indicates to me, her own personal touch.

i think the best examples of this are lindsay lohan and nicole richie...
neither was very stylish before they started using rachel zoe...

2laswtt.jpg
ebdmj8.jpg

nicole richie, 2003 and in 2006...nicolerichie.nu

i think it's a bit misleading, because it's not that the celeb is stylish, but they have a stylist willing to try things and put them in something new...
i'm much more drawn to celebs that try things that you can tell are their own choice, and it may not work...
like uma thurman in lacroix couture at the oscars...

I think it really depends on the actress. Some are simply a plate for stylists to put their own vision on at one end of the spectrum, and the other is girls who have a defined sense of what they like, and use a stylist simply to gather clothes and make a few suggestions and bounce ideas off of. So ultimately I think real style ultimately shines through and thats why I pick and choose who I like. I think more and more celebs are using stylists for their private wardrobe now because they get so much press from candids. It's complicated. Sometimes it's the stylists, and sometimes it's the people.

good thread luxx...i think there are very few stars in hollywood who would look the way they do if not for a great grooming team..not only stylists but hair, makeup, personal trainers, etc..

having said that, i think quite a few stars develop their sense of style after working with stylists and having the access to designers that they do...people like nicole richie and kate bosworth are proof of that i think...their everyday personal style changed dramatically after they spent a certain amount of time working with a stylist and attending fashion shows...i guess the stylist helps 'train' their eye and then we see the difference in the way they put together their everyday outfits..

i think shows like american idol are evidence of the powerful image shaping machine in hollywood too..
someone like carrie underwood...she was such a normal, all-american, 20-something...terribly boring style...jeans and tank tops...
and now she struts around in designer gear and looks completely different..
which i'm sure never would have happened without the access to stylists, hair + makeup, etc....but it doesnt mean these girls dont have style....just that they are given the opportunity to discover it once they have access to the best of the best..

then again..some of them really dont have very good style..
with our without the stylists...:lol:

i think the best examples of this are lindsay lohan and nicole richie...
neither was very stylish before they started using rachel zoe...
nicole richie, 2003 and in 2006...nicolerichie.nu

i think it's a bit misleading, because it's not that the celeb is stylish, but they have a stylist willing to try things and put them in something new...
i'm much more drawn to celebs that try things that you can tell are their own choice, and it may not work...
like uma thurman in lacroix couture at the oscars...

But I am sure Uma had a stylist pulling dresses for her? Not that I doubt that the Lacroix was partly her choice (it would have to be, no red-carpet stylist would take risks like that), but was it totally with out the informing of a stylist? If she did pick that all on her own, its surely interesting and out of the box, but a little silly and trite. And in her actual personal style I have never seen her in anything but super, super boring basics.

This is what hacks me off about Cameron Diaz. For years she has said she doesn't use a stylist just someone who shows up with a rack of clothes and she picks what she want. She has always had her own style and didn't follow the trends. That is what I admired her for.

Then all of a sudden last year she is apparently using Rachael Zoe and now we don't know if it's Cam's idea or Rachael's. Cameron Diaz does not need a stylist. Nothing against Rachael Zoe. I respect what she has done with others (Nicole, Lindsay etc) but I always thought of Cam as a orginal. I think it's a shame.

ChloeFrancoise said:
I think the term style icon is overused in general

I so agree. I don't like it when these people hire a stylist and then they are being called a "Style/Fashion Icon" after one good outfit. According to E News everybody is a Fashion Icon. Every time they say "Fashion Icon's like Beyonce and Paris Hilton have been wearing this and that...." it makes me want to hurl.

I don't think any actress today is a Fashion Icon. Not one them. The only people I would give that title to in the world of celebrity is Madonna and Kate Moss.

madonna?..a fashion icon?!?...yikes..i dont know about that...
a musical icon perhaps...or icon in terms of the way she has reinvented her image over the years..
but she doesnt seem to have very good taste to me when it comes to her personal style..

I think we can just separate "looking stylish" and having a good sense of style. Problem solved.

Also, I don't really care who's idea it is I'm looking at in the magazine. If I like it I'll remember it and maybe be inspired, but it's not like I'll build a shrine to the "star" or anything.. B)

I always wondered the same thing about celebrities and their stylist:
  • Does the stylist help him/her on they everyday "style"?
  • Does the stylist help him/her just for event/public appearances?

Katie Holmes, Katie Holmes, Katie Holmes. Perfect example of someone who has transformed for the better or worse depending your opinion in fashion based on a stylist.

I think we can just separate "looking stylish" and having a good sense of style. Problem solved.

Also, I don't really care who's idea it is I'm looking at in the magazine. If I like it I'll remember it and maybe be inspired, but it's not like I'll build a shrine to the "star" or anything.. B)

some great points blondes..

i totally agree with the first point..good distinction..
a lot of these stars consistently 'look stylish' thanks to their team..
whether or not they ARE stylish without them is another thing altogether..
although that's what we're wondering..i suppose..

i also like your point about not discriminating where inspiration comes from..
if someone looks good, they look good..end of story..
although i also think sometimes it does matter..

like someone mentioned before..it's a bit more inspiring to see someone with amazing personal style when you know they havent been paying for 'outside help'..
it's cool to see someone's personal style reflecting who they ARE..
not who some stylist thinks they should be..
but i do agree that people can look great even if it is by and large the result of a great styling team...
it is just EXTRA great if they've come up with it all on their own..:heart:

great thread luxx :flower:

lots of good points being made in here by everyone i think..

like label basher, cameron diaz popped into my head..
however, even though she has used rachel zoe in recent years, i still believe that a lot of what she wears is her own choice..
also, she only used zoe for big events (as far as i know) which is different from how lindsay and nicole were using her, to sort of style their everyday lives and make them tabloid ready at all times..
i think there is always something that is quintessentially cameron in everything she wears..
whether it is how she accessorizes her outfits or the particular pieces that she is wearing..
i i think she has a strong sense of her individual style..

with someone like kristen bell, katie holmes etc. i think the stylist truly defines the style identity of the celeb..

though i think it is also possible that the stylist can sort of bring it out of you..
not sure what nicole richie is doing these days when it comes to having a stylist but i think she continues doing a good job even after dumping zoe..
whereas lindsay lohan looks like a trainwreck and i assume she is no longer working with zoe..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katiepeaches
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->