• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Different Stars/Different Style Icons

Estella*

a dim capacity for wings
Reaction score
i thought we could have a thread on beauty or style icons other than the ubiquitous red carpet actresses of today (actresses of today not to be excluded if you think they are different)...maybe artists...muses (dangerous term, i know)...etc.

i´m interested who you admire.

i´ll start with renée ciboure

Last edited by a moderator:
here she is again (from www.consulfrance-toronto.org)
lartigue2.jpg

There are so many, but one of the first that comes to mind is Sophie Calle. As an artist, I really admire her and she has an innate sense of style.

sophie_calle.jpg

I also like Carolina Herrera Jr. I love the way she dresses (feminine/a little rough) and she's quite beautiful.

CarolinaHerrera.jpg

that herrera picture is beautiful.
i have ambivalent feelings toward sophie calle, she sure is one of the most important female artists of our time, and there are parts of her work that i really admire...then there is here "spying/stalking" work which i have problems with....though it is a very modern approach to art it somehow doesn´t go with my sense of morality...do you know what i mean?

anna karina said:
that herrera picture is beautiful.
i have ambivalent feelings toward sophie calle, she sure is one of the most important female artists of our time, and there are parts of her work that i really admire...then there is here "spying/stalking" work which i have problems with....though it is a very modern approach to art it somehow doesn´t go with my sense of morality...do you know what i mean?
Yes, I understand...some people feel that way. In fact, I think she has questioned some of it herself. More often than not, however, the camera is turned on herself...with the same invasiveness. Also, I think she has moved on from that phase, no? Her work is so rich and varied...I think M'as-Tu Vue is one of the most beautiful books ever produced.

^ Interesting pick, you are quite a photography buff!

My third choice is Maya Plisetskaya. [font=verdana, arial]She is Prima Ballerina Assoluta and is basically retired (her last dance was given at age 73!) I've had a lifelong facination with the world of ballet and it was a bit difficult to choose one dancer bc I admire many dancers for their style. She is really special though...here she is:

141.jpg

[/font][font=verdana, arial] [/font]

beautiful again, luxmode! do you dance yourself?
i just saw a documentation on plissetskaja, a friend gave me a cassette with ballet documentations...also on it is alessandra ferri who is very beautiful, too:
0da17874a4e0fb9bbfca56b1583c57a0.jpg
ferri05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
anna karina said:
beautiful again, luxmode! do you dance yourself?
i just saw a documentation on plissetskaja, a friend gave me a cassette with ballet documentations...also on it is alessandra ferri who is very beautiful, too:

Ferri is divine...nice choice. I haven't danced since I was 13 or so, I wasn't cut out for it. :( Now I just admire that world from afar...

BTW, who is Renée Ciboure? I love the photos you posted...especially the second one!! Great photo.

Inspired by anna karina's photo of Rene, I am picking the fashion designer Luisa Beccaria. She has an amazing personal style and her designs are beautiful. I also saw pictures of her baroque palazzo in Sicily, which is gorgeous as well.

her:
f_2.jpg

her work:

that´s interesting, you´re a great source of information (and beauty) luxmode...i had never heard of luisa beccaria before!

ahem, i meant documentary of course, my english is getting worse and worse...

renée ciboure was the wife and muse of photographer jacques-henri lartigue (and probably more than that but that´s all i know)

now from photography to filmmaking
the wonderful maya deren

^ Wow, I had to look her up...facinating choice!!!! Another designer I find very inspiring is Christina Kim who designs the fashion and housewares line Dosa. I just love her attitude, style and work :heart:

Her:

31style.184.jpg
013001001068.jpg

a good link for info: http://www.internimagazine.it/s013001000059/s013001000061/d013001000256/a013001003772.htm

sounds interesting...i have heard of dosa but i can´t bring pictures to my mind...the link doesn´t work for me?

make sure you see any maya deren film when you get the chance! she was really exceptional. and there was a great documentary about her a few years ago called "in the mirror of maya deren".

:heart:

thanks for the pics of Maya Plisetskaya!! i also love ballet, have been dancing myself (until the age of 14), and still admire the whole world of it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->