Sufjan Stevens

I find Seven Swans, which "To Be Alone With You" comes from, to be very different than his other work. At least his "states" projects. It's very minimal and folky, and the content is starkly religious. I happen to prefer the "states" albums, which are more expansive and ambitious (fittingly so) but it's all lovely.

bleuFunk said:
I find Seven Swans, which "To Be Alone With You" comes from, to be very different than his other work. At least his "states" projects. It's very minimal and folky, and the content is starkly religious. I happen to prefer the "states" albums, which are more expansive and ambitious (fittingly so) but it's all lovely.

Agreed. Not a big fan of Seven Swans, yet I do like "The Dress Looks Nice on You".

More songs from "The Avalanche"-

"Chicago (Multiple Personality Disorder Version" and "Perpetual Self"- http://musicslut.blogspot.com/2006/05/rumbling-in-distance.html

*click on the "yousendit" link.

I had never heard of Sufjan Stevens until I heard him on the OC. Since I don't really know much about what his music is about and don't really 'get' it yet, I was wondering if anyone could explain the meaning of the song played when Johhny died on the OC.
For The Widows In Paradise; For The Fatherless In Ypsilanti Sufjan Stevens lyrics

Artist: Sufjan Stevens
Album: Michigan
Year: 2003
Title: For The Widows In Paradise; For The Fatherless In Ypsilanti Print
Correct

I have called you children, I have called you son.
What is there to answer if I'm the only one?
Morning comes in Paradise, morning comes in light.
Still I must obey, still I must invite.
If there's anything to say, if there's anything to do,
If there's any other way, I'll do anything for you.

I was dressed embarrassment.
I was dressed in wine.
If you had a part of me, will you take you're time?
Even if I come back, even if I die
Is there some idea to replace my life?
Like a father to impress;
Like a mother's mourning dress,
If you ever make a mess, I'll do anything for you

I have called you preacher; I have called you son.
If you have a father or if you haven't one,
I'll do anything for you. I did everything for you

It's such a beautiful song, but I don't understand what it's really trying to say:blush:

^I'm not sure of the meaning of the song either. But that is also how I discovered his music, because of that song on the OC. I can't explain how much I love the song. I'd recommend the album too.

*mette-marit* said:
I had never heard of Sufjan Stevens until I heard him on the OC. Since I don't really know much about what his music is about and don't really 'get' it yet, I was wondering if anyone could explain the meaning of the song played when Johhny died on the OC.

They also played that song on the OC? uh. I still don't like the show, but I will admit it has a great soundtrack.

From eopinions:

For the Widows in Paradise, for the Fatherless in Ypsilanti
I was dressed embarassment, I was dressed in wine
If you had a part of me, will you take your time?

The album's first trip away from the big city and into the countryside feels like a warm sigh of relief despite its downbeat nature - the banjo is front and center here, methodically plucking away while light touches like piano and a hushed female vocal are added in the background. As someone who shares Sufjan's religious leanings might guess, this song is about caring for those less fortunate who have been left behind by their loved ones, and once again, the warmth of horns offers a vague sense of hope, mixing in oddly but effectively with the banjo to form a sort of backwoods Salvation Army band. I love how this song hangs on a tense note at the end, waiting for the gentle roll of cymbals to segue it into the next track.

That's just someone else's review so I don't know how reliable the source is but it sounds pretty on point.:wink:

I loove Sufjan!! And I think its so cute that in "Hands Open" by snow patrol "chicago" gets a mention.

:buzz:
haha , considering the fact that i just bought it on ebay, i think its awesome too!

i know, i love it. christmas kitsch --- is there any better kind... :lol:

must buy it for someone for christmas, & just hope they don't buy it themself first.

strawberry daiquiri said:
i know, i love it. christmas kitsch --- is there any better kind... :lol:

must buy it for someone for christmas, & just hope they don't buy it themself first.

I'm interested..!
hint hint :innocent:
I'll have to pick this up for myself..I've suddenly came into a Christmas mood..haven;t felt this way in a while..and I've noticed others are the same this year....

:santa:

I just listened to the entire Christmas album at FNAC. It is so amazing.I was really apprehensive at first about Sufjan doing a Christmas album, but I realize now that I shouldnt have doubted him. The classics sound folky and comforting, and his original songs fit right in.I think I'm going to buy it for my momma so I can steal it and listen to it, even long after Christmas time!

listening to "Star of Wonder" always lifts my spirits :heart:

I know everyone loves the Illinois album, but I'm so much more partial to his Christmas collection. The best part is I can still enjoy it after Christmas time!

The song ''For The Widows In Paradise; For The Fatherless In Ypsilanti '' seems to be about Jesus. I read a lot of interviews of Sufjan and he has stated that he is in fact a Christian. So a lot of his songs like '' To be alone with you'' has a lot of christian themes. He is not a christian artist, just an artist who is a christian

i always like finding people with similar taste in music on this forum!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellison1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->