Sufjan Stevens

rachyroo said:
^I'm not sure of the meaning of the song either. But that is also how I discovered his music, because of that song on the OC. I can't explain how much I love the song. I'd recommend the album too.

I agree. That song is just so huge for me, it's a beautiful song.

I just got the Michigan album and would definately reccomend it.

I read somewhere that Sufjan performed a version of The Star Spangled Banner in live shows. I was curious, so i looked high & low and then googled it and found it right away. He definitely Sufjan-ized it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvBwF4bU9CE

I found a bunch of other videos on YouTube, but my favorite was this version of him doing "For The Widows in Paradise..." alone on a farm. Chilling:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d4tkiGvV_ek

How exactly do you pronounce his name? I haven't even tried...

I've heard it pronounced "Soof-yon", but i don't know if that's right or not.

I seriously love Sufjan Stevens. My favorite song is "For the Widows in Paradise". :heart:

I don't have the Michigan album, is it worth the listen?
I got "Come on Feel the Illinoise" from a friend, and i found it a little weird and folksy, but now I love it! Especially the song they used in Little Miss Sunshine... but which Sufjan song was on the OC?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure everyone here would recommend the Michigan album to you! I certainly will! It's amazing. It's a bit more folksy and low-fi than Illinoise, but it's the same kind of anthemic, beautiful music.

It looks like the songs they used in Little Miss Sunshine are from Illinoise and Avalanche (which is all Illinoise outtakes). The song from OC was from Seven Swans, which is a very quiet, sparse album.

but which Sufjan song was on the OC?
That was "For the Widows in Paradise, For the Fatherless in Ypsilanti". It was in the episode with Johnny's funeral in late Season 3, I believe.

he really should release sth new, or at least go on tour!!!

How about making that 3! I love him. Any news on him? I agree he really needs to put out some new stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellison1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->