That's sooo 2000s

the word fierce which gets replaced by the word 'werk' is (hopefully) very 2000s and not 2010 (+) :innocent:.... :lol:
It girls are also very very 2000s, as well as the bohemian look and of course facebook :lol: .

*please keep model discussion in Supporting Cast. Thank you. *

Last edited by a moderator:
People always seem to think that, at the time, but in 20 years time, there will be a noughties look, because there always is a look (or looks) of the decade.

The Victorian era is renowned for its plundering of earlier eras and yet, almost all of us (I assume?) would recognise a piece of clothing as being Victorian repro, rather than that of the earlier eras, as there is still a distinctive Victorian look.

Similarly, the '80s regurgitated many earlier decades and yet, there is still an overriding '80s look (and a very recognisable one, at that!).

The '90s weren't so original, either - they were largely a rehash of the '60s and '70s.

Quoted for truth.

^yeah. :lol:

So I guess hipster regurgitation of former trends was the way to go last decade, although I do feel the "ironic" vibe was the main characteristic in the adoptions of these trends and ultimately what characterizes this last decade (see American Apparel and LA street style)
Absolutely.
I think we may be trying to focus too much on specific objects/brands in this thread when, even though some of them are true, when you look back at a decade through photographs, it's the finished result, the entire look and even attitude (posing, gesture, etc) what embody and emit a mood characteristic of a certain decade, looks that are assimilated by everyone as '2000s', not just those that were teenagers/young adults at that time..

For me, one of them was the hipster look unspoiledbird mentioned, sponsored by the 1000-pictures-of-yourself networking sites, encouraging people to be more and more calculated and notorious in their clothing through irony/kitschy elements just to be photographed while contradictorily trying to pull off the don't-give-a-damn look (with a duck face of course).

2wr3l8m.jpg

[motheringhut]

and then of course, the vintage-devouring phenomenon that inspired countless collections, the 'boho' trend, the granny trend, et cetera.
what was a good tradition of some to dig out old and unique gems in the middle of the late 90s it-item craze, went on to become either a spectacle of real rags that are still as bad as they were when they were created or worse, trendy people piling up luxury brands for the sake of looking cheap and old but not in that French, carefree way, more like in that vulgar, Williamsburg trying-too-hard vibe.. wish I could post some lookbook pics but that would be rude :lol:.

svt65h.jpg

[thestylebar.blogspot]

Finally, one more thing that screams 2004-2006 to me is that 'I believe in fairy-tales/unicorns/Lula/cupcakes/wish I was a child/ I look really cute in the countryside' mood trend. It may not have been as openly bad as the two other ones I mentioned but over time, it became just as irritating and corny.. all the childlike imports, the ribbons, polka dots, cutesy little headbands and bad illustrators.. too abused and empty to the point it's now part of a year or two of a generation only.

2zthgg0.jpg

2jbqnur.jpg

2v1metx.jpg

[scans by alix*, style.com, verbalsnapshots at wordpress]

Great post MulletProof, the I-believe-in-fairy-tales and hipster looks were really abundant, and the scene queen "I used up 3 cans of hair-spray this morning" look that pretty much defines myspace.

hair straighteneres (long may they reign)
Paris hilton style
That 'Britney' pop look of 2003-2007 Blonde ect
Boho (oversize large coin belts)
The arrival of fake tanners (thankgod!!!)
Laptops...early noughties they were so expensive....end of noughties they were a standard product.
Huge rise of the net....due to wireless and faster computer speeds
The death of the CD
Big Brother

I think noughties had a real distinctive personality!! I wonder how they will translate it in 20 years tho :o

I can already see how the 90s influence is creeping in....check shirts and flannel are everywhere, dr martins are steadily coming back....God, does that mean the 'spice girl' platforms will be back on trend in about 5 years.....gawwwwd!

It depends if you look for items or a decade style.
For me this decade has been all about remixes of most of last century's decades, as it people were just stepping slowly into something new, i think next decade or in the 2020's things will change, but as a whole it has been a mix of 80's 70's boho-chic, hippie-chic, ladylike,50's pinup etc etc
The only new trend perhaps was the emo thing, but even those are a kind of remix and the importance of streetstyle, blogs etc in the fashion world.
I'm talking style wise, of course then you have the britneys parises etc, but there's always going to be something fashion wise that goes on their own

As many people have said Uggs, I'm not a fan :yuk:
Treggings
Emo
Alice bands

I wasn't really a fan of the naughties, looking forward to what the teenies has to offer though.

God this was an unfortunate fashion decade. I think will be remembered as the decade we recycled all the other decades and managed to created nothing new. Not that the clothes were bad they were actually better versions than the originals, but creativity died.

I guess the only thing i remember from the last decade is Britney's spears low low rise jeans and those absolutely disgusting velour tracksuits worn with hugs.

I don't know, I think there's a lot of memorable things from this decade. Not all of it's good, but if you look at any decade there are some :sick: trends.

-uggs (will probably stay--they are good, warm boots for the colder climates)
-leggings revival.. i think some of the leggings, especially from the past two years, have been innovative and have become a fashion item of their own separate from tights. there are ripped leggings, cut-out leggings, zippered leggings, leggings with colors, patterns.. I personally don't wear leggings, but I think they almost always look good if the bum is covered!
-Abercrombie/AE/Hollister blah hopefully this stops being the dominating trend at highschools..but I don't have to step foot there anymore so whatever.
-Huge sunglasses and black-framed "emo" glasses
-Coach and the abundance of knock-offs and printed bags
-Skinny jeans (here to stay)
-Scarves that aren't just for cold weather
-Ballet flats

I can't wait to see what the 2010s bring!

lady luck thats a great poly!! Sums the decade up perfectly...but it really highlights how everything (prob going into 2010 aswell) looks so trashy and 'throw away'. Like everything is made en mass.

Really remind me of Japanese bright plastic 'styling'....

Its interesting how even now we are moving forward and due to the nature of everyone having/looking the same, the new thing is to be 'individual'. Rihanna & GaGas success are a reflection of how people are aspiring to the different and the unique.

im excited for the future B)

Clothes for pets and bling accessories are so 2000s. Also pets (especially chihuahuas) as accessories à la Paris Hilton.

American Apparel, layering, 'nerd' glasses, the return of oxford shoes and ballet flats, poofy miniskirts, mixing styles (e.g. uglypretty)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->