The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^, the barbour jacket is nice. i would head to your local barbour outlet instead of the main store to see if they have something similar in the under 200$ range.

the prices at my barbour outlet are insanely low. :D

Brogues... Oh, add them to my tiny list. I totally forgot. Like you, Betinapple, I feel I need a pair of practical flats. I don't think I'll shop in August and September though, we'll see.

Betinapple: I think you might try buying a bit better quality. Even if something is "real leather" it doesn't mean it is good quality. If something is cheap there is more danger that it falls apart soon - and I agree with fashionista-ta, shoes shouldn't fall apart after three months. Even if you wear them a lot.

Brogues are great :flower:

Okay, I think we've misunderstood each other :smile: the pair of flats I have ATM. were bought in mid May and they're not falling apart or worn out, but you can see that they've been worn quite a lot. Mostly on the outside leather on the front of the shoes. I'll try to polish them, I've just been to lazy until now. I do not think that a better quality of shoes will do the trick, since they get scratched in the front. But you are perfectly right that cheap shoes gets worn out faster and that leather does not equal good quality :smile:

I couldn't resist and ended up buying the brogues/flats. Hope they're great, since they could fill out a huge gap in my shoecloset.

2vjanwx.jpg

pic via bianco.com

^ Scratches should be fixable by polishing. Deep gashes OTOH do ruin a shoe, but that should be rare.

You can polish, clean, replace the heel cap and sole (and I think even insole, but that shouldn't be necessary).

A lot of cheap shoes it's not even possible to maintain in this way. IMO you want a leather sole. You can replace just the tips if the wear is at the toe (and you must do this when necessary to keep the upper from being damaged), or if the wear is at the ball of the foot, you resole. My ballet flats last for years this way ...

I like the idea of a Barbour. What's so wrong with wearing something the Queen has? :wink: It's a classic ... Going old school with coats works well IMO ...

Honestly, until three years ago I never brought shoes to a cobbler (and in most cases I didn't buy shoes that were really worth to be maintained.) Now I'm so surprised of the great combination of a good shoe and a good cobbler. PLUS there are shoes that you can wear a lot and they still look flawless. My beloved pair of Prada flats bought four years ago is such a case. They are so comfy and look so good still. I can really recommend saving for a pair.

Fashionista: When you buy shoes with leather soles, do you bring them to the cobbler even before wearing them? I heard you should to place a little plastic sole on them... but so far I didn't. I'm fairly new to the business of buying good leather soled shoes.

^ Scratches should be fixable by polishing. Deep gashes OTOH do ruin a shoe, but that should be rare.

You can polish, clean, replace the heel cap and sole (and I think even insole, but that shouldn't be necessary).

A lot of cheap shoes it's not even possible to maintain in this way. IMO you want a leather sole. You can replace just the tips if the wear is at the toe (and you must do this when necessary to keep the upper from being damaged), or if the wear is at the ball of the foot, you resole. My ballet flats last for years this way ...

I like the idea of a Barbour. What's so wrong with wearing something the Queen has? :wink: It's a classic ... Going old school with coats works well IMO ...

All solid advice!

Thx for the good advice. I would never buy H&M shoes, for the purpose of everyday use. They're not nice on my feet, and the wear out very fast. My new ballet flats are not expensive, but still costed more than I would usually spend on ballet flats. They have a good sole and the quality seems nice. I will try and polish them (just need to kick myself in the but and get it done).

I don't like the thought of spending more than 200 dollars on a pair of ballet flats, but maybe I should try it. What brands can you recommend? :smile:

I don't like the thought of spending more than 200 dollars on a pair of ballet flats, but maybe I should try it. What brands can you recommend? :smile:

Given that you do a lot of walking, perhaps look into brands such as Ecco (also Clarks, Camper) that usually make sturdier walking shoes? I was in an Ecco store this spring with a friend because she was looking for sandals, but I also saw some ballet-type flats that looked rather nice, though you do have to sacrifice a little bit of the sleekness of e.g Repetto... For me, ballet flats tend to wear out on the outer edges of the toe box where the sole is attached to the upper, so I know I have to avoid those flats that have a very thin and narrow sole.

My July progress report :lol:

I spent most of the month staying in the country at a relative's place, with lots of gardening and spending time in nature, far away from any sartorial temptation. Still, there was a daytrip to a resort town that saw me seek refuge in a shopping centre from an unexptected rain shower... resulting in a blue short-sleeved sweater (on sale, but I had been eyeing it already back in winter; this will count towards autumn purchases) and a blue summer dress (love at first sight). The latter was a gift so it only half-counts. :P

@Flodette: thx. maybe I should try them.

@Elle: thanks for your reply. what you are describing is exactly my problem. I'm not a big fan of eccos ballerina flats though. I think they're a big to chunky. The pair I've got ATM have a good sole without being chunky, but I still can't help but scratch them -.-

I like Repetto a lot, too, and they are not extremely expensive, especially if you get a pair on sales (which is possible). I own some cheaper local brands as well which are doing a fine job. I think looking into local stuff is great since they are not as overpriced as some of the big international names.

As mentioned earlier, my best pair of flats is from Prada, I bought them on a sale so the price was okay. And they are so great in terms of quality!

Btw, I've also owned a pair of Ecco shoes. They sure are the best for walking! However, they got a bit smelly with time :doh:

I hear some people swear by Tory Burch. I don't own any but they do look comfortable and classy.

---

Oh, by the way, I scratched my Repettos today, too. Ugh. As much as I LOVE Repetto they probably aren't the most longliving shoes either. Hmmm.

Last edited by a moderator:
i like barbour! it's a classic. i also really like belstaff and would suggest looking into their range as well.

I like Repetto a lot, too, and they are not extremely expensive, especially if you get a pair on sales (which is possible). I own some cheaper local brands as well which are doing a fine job. I think looking into local stuff is great since they are not as overpriced as some of the big international names.

As mentioned earlier, my best pair of flats is from Prada, I bought them on a sale so the price was okay. And they are so great in terms of quality!

Btw, I've also owned a pair of Ecco shoes. They sure are the best for walking! However, they got a bit smelly with time :doh:

I hear some people swear by Tory Burch. I don't own any but they do look comfortable and classy.

---

Oh, by the way, I scratched my Repettos today, too. Ugh. As much as I LOVE Repetto they probably aren't the most longliving shoes either. Hmmm.

Thx for the advice. My current pair is from Stylesnob, which is a danish brand (I think) and they seem to be quite good and only costed 100 dollars. The sole is quite thick and they have a little "heel" so you do not walk directly on the ground. I've heard good things about Tory Burch as well, but I haven't seen a pair that I like yet.

Any views on the Ferragamo vara/varina's?
I am searching for a classic black patent low heeled (or flat) shoe and these are so very tempting. I hear the sizing runs small though.

So far, for the coming months, I need to invest in:

TOPS
*1 white cotton shirt with bracelet length sleeves (seen a lovely one by Carven which looks perfect)
* 1 floral or patterned blouse, maybe a.p.c or Vanessa Bruno.

KNITS
* 2 merino or cashmere sweaters, beige, navy or grey.
* 1 cardigan, in oatmeal preferably.

BOTTOMS
* 2 wool or cotton skirts, mid and mini length. Plain colours, no patterns, in navy/black.
* cropped dark denim capri pants.

OUTERWEAR
* classic winter coat, preferably navy with a hood.
* linen blazer in black or grey.

FOOTWEAR
* classy black patent flats, maybe Ferragamo/Repetto.
* Suede ankle boots in dark brown, dark beige.

ACCESSORIES
*medium sized black leather satchel or tote.
* new watch, hopefully covered via xmas gifts!
*cashmere beret & scarf.

This is all that I need, I think, to tide me over until spring, but my choices are so damned expensive that I am not sure what to do!

Honestly, until three years ago I never brought shoes to a cobbler (and in most cases I didn't buy shoes that were really worth to be maintained.) Now I'm so surprised of the great combination of a good shoe and a good cobbler. PLUS there are shoes that you can wear a lot and they still look flawless. My beloved pair of Prada flats bought four years ago is such a case. They are so comfy and look so good still. I can really recommend saving for a pair.

Fashionista: When you buy shoes with leather soles, do you bring them to the cobbler even before wearing them? I heard you should to place a little plastic sole on them... but so far I didn't. I'm fairly new to the business of buying good leather soled shoes.

Argh ... lost my whole response.

I don't do the zipsoles ... I like the feel of the leather on all various surfaces. I find an artificial sole doesn't work as well. I just maintain the leather, and don't think it's the end of the world if someone notices :wink:

Thx for the good advice. I would never buy H&M shoes, for the purpose of everyday use. They're not nice on my feet, and the wear out very fast. My new ballet flats are not expensive, but still costed more than I would usually spend on ballet flats. They have a good sole and the quality seems nice. I will try and polish them (just need to kick myself in the but and get it done).

Right now I have Anna Sui, Marc Jacobs, and Bottega, and all have been good--Anna Sui perhaps the best (and good support too), but not sure you can get her there? You might try getting a better brand on sale and seeing how you like it. Sometimes I get lucky & show up just as the sale starts (best selection), but it never hurt to plan ahead :wink: If you wear a common size, it's often available somewhere--the store can order for you.

Given that you do a lot of walking, perhaps look into brands such as Ecco (also Clarks, Camper) that usually make sturdier walking shoes? I was in an Ecco store this spring with a friend because she was looking for sandals, but I also saw some ballet-type flats that looked rather nice, though you do have to sacrifice a little bit of the sleekness of e.g Repetto... For me, ballet flats tend to wear out on the outer edges of the toe box where the sole is attached to the upper, so I know I have to avoid those flats that have a very thin and narrow sole.

That's what I mean ... that happens when you don't watch the wear to the sole & get the tips replaced in a timely way.

Another thing that can be done is the cobbler can touch up the tip with dye ...

Any views on the Ferragamo vara/varina's?
I am searching for a classic black patent low heeled (or flat) shoe and these are so very tempting. I hear the sizing runs small though.

So far, for the coming months, I need to invest in:

TOPS
*1 white cotton shirt with bracelet length sleeves (seen a lovely one by Carven which looks perfect)
* 1 floral or patterned blouse, maybe a.p.c or Vanessa Bruno.

KNITS
* 2 merino or cashmere sweaters, beige, navy or grey.
* 1 cardigan, in oatmeal preferably.

BOTTOMS
* 2 wool or cotton skirts, mid and mini length. Plain colours, no patterns, in navy/black.
* cropped dark denim capri pants.

OUTERWEAR
* classic winter coat, preferably navy with a hood.
* linen blazer in black or grey.

FOOTWEAR
* classy black patent flats, maybe Ferragamo/Repetto.
* Suede ankle boots in dark brown, dark beige.

ACCESSORIES
*medium sized black leather satchel or tote.
* new watch, hopefully covered via xmas gifts!
*cashmere beret & scarf.

This is all that I need, I think, to tide me over until spring, but my choices are so damned expensive that I am not sure what to do!

Prioritize :wink:

Ferragamo has a very specific last ... I have owned some, but I have quite a high arch & not such a narrow foot, which is their specialty ... I concluded they weren't really for me. Have you tried them on?

I haven't bought any Tory Burch, but I think the ones where the logo is leather rather than metal are subtle enough (but I have logo phobia). Her prices are pretty reasonable too. Nice bright colors ...

Sorry, why do we have to zipsole the leather sole? Is there any reason outside from longevity?

I love Ferragamo (that and Sergio Rossi are my go-to), and I have very wide feet. Ferragamo caters to different width, I am using the B or even C sometimes, which is not at all narrow.

It's a very good idea to check local brand. We have one Balinese brand which is so good (used by Julia Roberts in Eat Pray Love), and their ballet flat is on par w/ Repetto, but very cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device

Some people zipsole to preserve the CL red. I think we have a whole zipsole thread somewhere ...

It's true that you can get other widths in Ferragamo. They are the go-to brand for those with narrow (and as you say, wide) feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->