The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Floodette: Congrats on your diving purchases! Sounds exciting!! Sports really are a good way to keep one's shopping cravings in check, aren't they? :wink:

Ta-ta
: Coral jeans? Sounds pretty... What happened to them?? (I'd love to have coral jeans but somehow colorful denim always looks a bit unflattering on my legs...)

Betinapple: Found the perfect bag?? Woohooo... I wanna have that feeling :wink: But I do have a great bag on my list that I'd really really love. Not sure if I can say it's THE bag though. Pictures??

They were pretty ... I bought them several years ago. They are actually a second pair of coral jeans--the first pair the cleaners ruined (and paid me for). I went looking back to see when I bought them--it was Spring 2007. I never said I didn't get my money's worth :wink: Now I'm curious as to when I bought the black jeans ... ah, Spring 2006, finally found them.

What happened ... a stress fracture :wink: Next to one of the back pockets. I didn't realize it was there till I was scooping things up to take them to the cleaners ... whaaa?! :o Typically my shirt would cover that spot, so I don't think anyone but me has seen it :rolleyes: Last time I wore them I wore coral underwear, that was good :lol: People mock matchy-matchy, but you never know when it might just be the best idea you've had in awhile ...

I think your trenches sound quite different ... you should enjoy wearing them both. Mine has last me for about 25 years now, so you should be set for awhile :wink: (Granted, I live in a milder climate. But you have two!)

Floodette: Congrats on your diving purchases! Sounds exciting!! Sports really are a good way to keep one's shopping cravings in check, aren't they? :wink:

Ta-ta
: Coral jeans? Sounds pretty... What happened to them?? (I'd love to have coral jeans but somehow colorful denim always looks a bit unflattering on my legs...)

Betinapple: Found the perfect bag?? Woohooo... I wanna have that feeling :wink: But I do have a great bag on my list that I'd really really love. Not sure if I can say it's THE bag though. Pictures??

Great about the trench! Hoping that you will show us both the new and the old one.

I will show you the bag, but there is a limited amount of them, so I will wait untill I get my hands on it :wink:

Thank youfor the nice comment, RedandNavy. Looking fwd to see pic of your new trench.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm still waiting for my trench to be shipped. I ordered it at farfetch.com. Gosh, they are slooooooooow. I got an email today that they received my order and will inform me when it's being processed. Slooooooooowwww....

(It's the first time I order via farfetch anyway. Any experiences? They have some really nice stuff but the side is kind of messy. Net-a-porter is quite unbeatable when it comes to good designer shopping.)

^ Maybe you can suggest they rename themselves slowfetch :wink: I try to do very little shopping online, as my local shopping is quite good, and it's important for me to try things on. That's the only way for me to ensure a perfect (or at least very good) fit ... plus there are so many unpleasant surprises when you shop online. I could tell my luisaviaroma story, but that would just be unpleasant (it's in the Lanvin bag thread if anyone is interested).

^ Maybe you can suggest they rename themselves slowfetch :wink: I try to do very little shopping online, as my local shopping is quite good, and it's important for me to try things on. That's the only way for me to ensure a perfect (or at least very good) fit ... plus there are so many unpleasant surprises when you shop online. I could tell my luisaviaroma story, but that would just be unpleasant (it's in the Lanvin bag thread if anyone is interested).

Could you please link to the post? I would like to read it :smile:

Hey! I got my trench!!! Whoop whoop! It's the one pictured in ta-ta's post, and it's absolutely flawless!

It's kind of cool and feminine at the same time which makes a really great mix. I'm definitely keeping it and think it was a great choice. Sometimes you just have to buy what you really love even if it's not on top of the list of must-haves.

Btw, it's really different from my other trench. So I don't feel like having two of the same but rather like having a new option in my closet. Nice!

(And farfetch did well, apart from being a bit slow in the beginning.)

Omg RedAndNavy, that trench is so cute!

So I've sinned. I've been thrifting again. Just cant stay away from the bargains in my hometown. Got me a Karl Lagerfeld for H&M silk cocktail dress which I absolutely love. My 9th item. Fortunately, I'm not going here again for a loooong time.

Yep!!! How did you find out?

Slowfetch managed to ship it, btw :smile:

I went to the site & looked for one that matched your description :wink: It's very cute ... I think you did the right thing getting it too, this one is special.

I didn't understand that they are not a shop but a network of boutiques ... and it sounds like their action is ahead of their communication, which I guess is good if you had to pick :wink:

I think once you have enough clothes so that you're not going to be without something to wear (and that's certainly most of us), then you're free to snag the really good things that crop up. Most must-haves don't have to be had this very second. That said, my black jeans must be replaced ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, tata! The way the trench was presented on the side was quite awful (with khaki wide legged trousers). But I imagined that together with heels, jeans or a dress it would look great and it really does. :heart:

I really feel good about this purchase and this time I don't feel like I have to think about the next item already. I really do have some things that I need sooner or later but none was that urgent that I felt like I had to get it right now.

Oh, you might remember that I was talking about a sunhat. I was thinking about buying a Eugenia Kim strawhat for some months now and wanted to get in May. But, I've been trying some hats on in stores and realised there is a reason why I don't own any. It's just nearly impossible to find a hat that really fits my proportion. In general, my head is quite big in comparison with my petite body and with a hat on top it looks as if I'm just a giant head. So I guess I'll do what I sometimes did in the past and just use a scarf against the sun. Good thing about this: no purchase needed in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
melissafaygreene

^ What about something like this?

Really, though, I would recommend getting something that at least shades your cheekbones. Many women have a giant freckle in that area ... if you could avoid that, you'll be so pleased. Or, you could just embrace it and consider it wabi sabi :lol:

Attachments

• straw-hat-300x213.jpg
    straw-hat-300x213.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 114
Just stopped by to mention that I picked up one of my favorite sweaters from the tailor today, and yay, they saved it! :woot: The cuffs were frayed, and they bound them with black satin for $24. They look quite nice, and you wouldn't know it wasn't original.

^ great!

I'm now having issues with the 4-5 piece plan...I got a new job where I have to dress 'weird' by my standards and I want to go out and buy a lot of stuff : / I'm also planning on sewing some new things...but I don't want to be back at step one, with a messed up closetful of things. I want less, not more!

The worst part is the shoes...For comfort, the best shoes would be flats but I hate flats. I'm managing with flat booties, oxfords and a few days in heels, but I feel limited and I miss all my heels just sitting at home...

Ta-ta that sounds really lovely...bound with satin, what a great idea.

Twomonths, I was where you are last year, and Ta-ta's advice was spot on...just wear what you have at first, then once you've worked a while and gotten to know the environment, add as you see absolutely necessary. Before starting my new work I thought it would be impossible without a whole new wardrobe but strangely I got by buying only two new items. :smile: Maybe a pair of comfy wedges would be good for you ? In a "weird" color? :wink:

I'm dying to get new stuff but still haven't gotten around to organizing my wardrobe, without which I wouldn't know where to start purchasing. Still at square one. No updates here.

^ thank you Melisande! I'm still holding out on purchasing, but I did eye a pair of green wedges I liked, now that you brought them up! Hehe, it's just a bit hard as I see the everyone dress so boring/conservative and I'm abiding. Wish me luck!

^ thank you Melisande! I'm still holding out on purchasing, but I did eye a pair of green wedges I liked, now that you brought them up! Hehe, it's just a bit hard as I see the everyone dress so boring/conservative and I'm abiding. Wish me luck!

Ooh, green wedges sound great!! Ah-ha, so like me, "weird" for you is boring/conservative. Just own it, it'll be fine! B)

When I first started I thought I have to wear gray suits and whatnot, but then I said f that, I'll wear what I want as long as it's respectful...to a conservative office I wear emerald knee-high boots and matching mohair wrap, patent-violet-platform-oxford-slingback-peeptoe-starry-wedges, studded punk boots, Dries van Noten skirts, weird Zucca asymmetrical stuff, jumbles of bracelets and rings, vintage dresses in violent colors...and my colleagues actually like it. Though granted, my clients and boss (grown men) are intimidated by me and run (away) when they see me. Couldn't care less.:lol:

Hi everyone!

Tata: That sounds great with the sweater! Black satin sounds like a very elegant solution for the problem... congrats! Thanks for the hints with the hat... You make me think I should invest a bit more into the search.

Dressing for conservative working environments: I have worked in conservative working environments in the past and there was one lady who managed to look really fashionable without "breaking the rules" too much. I admired her for that. I think you definitely can play around in such environments, too. Usually what is important is that you don't show too much skin, but then there are soo much options. Don't go and buy ten black suits at the beginning. It is good to be a bit conservative the first few days but slowly bring in your style more and more. I think most will admire you for being a bit more daring as long as you don't go for too much simple sexiness.

^ What about something like this?

Really, though, I would recommend getting something that at least shades your cheekbones. Many women have a giant freckle in that area ... if you could avoid that, you'll be so pleased. Or, you could just embrace it and consider it wabi sabi :lol:

Oh, I absolutely love that one. I only wear straw hats on festivals, and I tend to ruin them completely after wearing them pretty much 24/7 for 10 days straight. :wacko: So I don't really want to splurge on such an item. But I really do love this one. I might check Asos or Topshop for a cheaper version.

Though I really am loving all sorts of caps atm. ^_^

I've been pretty good :P
So far almost all of my purchases has been things that I had been planning on getting, and that I have been looking for, for quite some time. A month ago I got a a printed lace blazer from Zara. I've wanted a printed blazer for more than a year.
One purchases that wasn't planned was a printed Dries Van Noten skirt. But I really do love it, and it was quite cheap ^_^

I am eying a few pieces from COS though; a black wool scarf and an over-sized black dress, they are all on sale and on my list for next winter. :ninja::innocent: So I might just get those too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LKLA2024
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->