The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is really nothing fancy - just an H&M blouse. Did not want to splurge on this item, since it is a trend thing a not as classic as black ballet flats or the perfect white shirt, which I'm wearing several times a week.
We have a similar style except I'm a guy. ^_^ Classic but playful and youthful. I think in the states we got that blouse but it's polka dots. I haven't seen it in stripes if it is the same top.

I have been trying to do the 4-5 piece wardrobe thing and it's just not working. Does anyone have any ideas for being more selective in shopping? It's not even Spring and I already have 15 new Spring items. :blink: Maybe I should be on the shopaholic thread? :unsure:

I ordered a couple of things from the ASOS.com sale... We now have casual Fridays at work, so the jumper is to be paired with skinny jeans & flats or boots for those days (and other casual days of course) and the dress is to replace my favourite black silk dress which is just about ready to disintegrate...

I am really annoyed that the navy sweater I bought didn't wash well. It shrunk despite me following the care instructions & isn't in any way considered oversized anymore. :cry:

Attachments

• jumper.png
    jumper.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 0
  • dress.png
    dress.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 0
I have been trying to do the 4-5 piece wardrobe thing and it's just not working. Does anyone have any ideas for being more selective in shopping? It's not even Spring and I already have 15 new Spring items. :blink: Maybe I should be on the shopaholic thread? :unsure:

Few questions for you ... Did you have a plan? What are the 15 things you bought? How happy are you with them all? Will you wear them? Did you need them?

We have a similar style except I'm a guy. ^_^ Classic but playful and youthful. I think in the states we got that blouse but it's polka dots. I haven't seen it in stripes if it is the same top.

That sounds very interesting! Would love to see som pictures of your style.

I think it is the same one. We have it in both polkadots, stripes and a simple black and pink.

I'm having trouble ATM figuring out what "counts". When I started my 10 pieces pr. season I decided that gifts don't count as an item, since it is "out of my control". However, I've recieved some blog-related gifts, which I chose myself (from the stock the webshops had to offer), and I cannot figure out wether to count them in or not, since they were actually on my list but werent bought for my own money.

Anyhow, I've bought 7 items so far, 8 counting the ballet flats I just recieved (blog related present) and I've still got 3½ months left before starting over - buying 10 pieces for the AW season.

One of my 3 (2) remaining items is going to be a striped blouse, which I'm contemplating putting on my wish list for my upcoming birthday. The other 2 (1) could be
- a black dress
- a bouclé jacket
- a short sleeved white top
- a black bag (clutch or bigger bag)

or something wild like
- a pair of pink heels
- a statement dress

Since, so far, I've mostly added basic stuff and the peplum top.

What I end up with depends on what I find first. I also should stock up on some accesories and some underwear (which is not included in the 10 items). I have my eyes on a pair of earrings, and I would like to add a pair of cat eye sunglasses to my repetoire. Also need new stockings and a nude t-shirt bra.

This should be doable economicly, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to limit myself. I'll sure try, but I think I might end up with a couple of items more than planned, since I fear that the sales will be hard. Maybe I should try planning what to buy on the sales if marked down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Few questions for you ... Did you have a plan? What are the 15 things you bought? How happy are you with them all? Will you wear them? Did you need them?

I had a plan, but I didn't stick to it. I bought:

blue skinny jeans
black skinny jeans
black skirt
dark brown leather skirt
coral dress
gray dress
gray light weight overcoat
dark green scarf
pink flats
brown heels
black flat leather boots
back pack

I returned a navy print top, tan slacks (really nice, but not the best fit), and tan booties.

I'm very happy with the items that I kept. The problem is they're not what I planned for Spring and I did not need them. I need shirts, but I have a difficult time finding shirts (other than t-shirts or knit shirts) that fit well.

I will definitely wear these because other than the coral dress and the leather skirt they are all basics for me.

I had a plan, but I didn't stick to it. I bought:

blue skinny jeans
black skinny jeans
black skirt
dark brown leather skirt
coral dress
gray dress
gray light weight overcoat
dark green scarf
pink flats
brown heels
black flat leather boots
back pack

I returned a navy print top, tan slacks (really nice, but not the best fit), and tan booties.

I'm very happy with the items that I kept. The problem is they're not what I planned for Spring and I did not need them. I need shirts, but I have a difficult time finding shirts (other than t-shirts or knit shirts) that fit well.

I will definitely wear these because other than the coral dress and the leather skirt they are all basics for me.

Well, you are buying things you really like and will wear, a mix of basics and fun things, and you're returning what doesn't work--that is all very good. A lot of people don't get those things right.

As far as shirts ... maybe you don't really need them? I have stopped wearing button-front shirts for some years now--I have blouses, knit tops, Ts, and sweaters. I'm assuming your fit issue is probably due to being curvy? You might consider whether your life is really being diminished in any way by the lack of these shirts :wink: If it's not, then maybe you can just let them go.

If you really do need them, then part of the reason for a shopping plan is it's kind of like an assignment. You work on the hard stuff, you work on the fun stuff, you work on the hard stuff again.

If something is really hard, I have learned to stop and ask myself if I really need to be doing it :wink: For example, I don't swim, so I figured out that I don't ever need to shop for swimsuits :lol: And with one decision, I eliminated every woman's most difficult shopping task.

The scarf I might not count as an item, unless it's Hermes or similar.

What was your original plan?

^i feel the same way, if something is hard to shop for i end up skipping it.

i consider brown coloured garments and shoes hard to match - so i dont bother. i have only one camel coloured item in my closet.

i agree that shirts are hard to shop for - if you mean shirts for work. are you looking for button down shirts? those can be boxy and the buttons may cause the fabric to pucker. i skip those too. if i need shirts for work i tend to opt for plainer shirts that have the illusion of being business friendly. i can hide those under under blazers.

^i feel the same way, if something is hard to shop for i end up skipping it.

i consider brown coloured garments and shoes hard to match - so i dont bother. i have only one camel coloured item in my closet.

i agree that shirts are hard to shop for - if you mean shirts for work. are you looking for button down shirts? those can be boxy and the buttons may cause the fabric to pucker. i skip those too. if i need shirts for work i tend to opt for plainer shirts that have the illusion of being business friendly. i can hide those under under blazers.

Oh, I tend to have problems with button downs... They often look to boxy on me. Honestly, I find it hard to find good formal wear for me. Right now I have a job wear I can easily wear colorful shirts and blouses and that's what I'm most comfortable in. Formal trousers are a problem for me, I feel they often are to wide for me.

Today, I thought about what I bought so far this season and what I still need/want. I think I'm on quite a good way. The only thing I desperatly need now is a cardigan. Everything else are items that I'd love to have, that would serve me well but that aren't total must-haves.

Talking about things that aren't total must-haves: I have been admiring pictures of Mexicana boots for a while now. I recently tried a pair and while I like them, I feel like totally unsure what you'd wear them with and if they are a flattering style for a rather petite, short-legged person. Oh well, and I have no idea yet whether they'd really suit my style either... But I'm looking for inspiration here: Anyone owns a pair of cowboy boots, how do you style them?

(The shoes are pretty expensive, I don't really think I'll spend that much money on a style I'm so unsure about...)

(Seems this season I'm attracted to several pieces that so far never made it to my wardrobe. Not sure what this is all about. I still resisted the neon orange denim jacket though... ^_^)

Pic: luxuryhotshoes.com

Attachments

• Mexicana-Embroidered-Floral-Boots.png
    Mexicana-Embroidered-Floral-Boots.png
    122.1 KB · Views: 0
That sounds very interesting! Would love to see som pictures of your style.

I think it is the same one. We have it in both polkadots, stripes and a simple black and pink.
So camera shy. Lol. Well mainly I never have time to take good pictures of myself. But I will try to journal some for you guys.

The peplum

DSC_0026-5.jpg

Worn with items from previous seasons (2 year old jeans and shoes and leather jacket from fall).

Anyone owns a pair of cowboy boots, how do you style them?

i literally sold the only pair of cowboots i owned today. i just never wore them. i was originally planning on wearing them with summer babydoll dresses. (they were a bronze colour)

i had originally imagined i was going to wear them in the summertime. i suspect they might have felt sweltering in the summer. :unsure:

what do you think of the isabel marant "dicker" boots and the hundreds of different knockoffs they inspired? those styles are more wearble IMO

i think i might only wear cowboy boots on vacation in texas or the american southwest. if i was going on vacation at either of these places i might reconsider buying a pair.

Whenever I look over to my closet, I just hate it. Largely because there's so many few pieces I actually like and the rest are hidden between these clothes idk why I bothered purchasing. I'm 5'0 with a curvy body type and fitting in clothes that deem stylish on par with my taste is a bummer to my confidence. So I settle on items that are so mediocre you wouldn't I think I cared for my style when that is not the case.

Reading over this thread, I think I'll have to try a bit harder :ninja: I like the idea behind a minimal wardrobe where you love each item individually, if only if I could reboot ($$$) my entire closet!

Whenever I look over to my closet, I just hate it. Largely because there's so many few pieces I actually like and the rest are hidden between these clothes idk why I bothered purchasing.

Reading over this thread, I think I'll have to try a bit harder :ninja: I like the idea behind a minimal wardrobe where you love each item individually, if only if I could reboot ($$$) my entire closet!

i feel the similarly. i open my closet and i see a lot of items that are near the end of their life. items that could be worn maybe 5 or 6 more times and then donated.

it is a very satisfying feeling finding a garment you a GAGA about.

a few weeks ago, i brought 4 grocery bags of stuff to buffalo exchange (its a consignment store that gives cash on the spot for clothes) with the money i got from selling the clothes i crossed the street to another consignment store and with the money i bought a perfect leather black prada shell top. its made of lambskin and definitely a classic item. i will be posting photos shortly.

Fashionista-ta, you're right. Maybe I should reconsider the whole idea and not worry about finding button shirts. I like the look of them, but they don't stay closed if I buy the right size and if I buy a bigger size they are too boxy, like lucy92 mentioned.

My shopping plan was a new dress, skirt, 2 shirts and a pair of oxfords. I guess I was disappointed because I got carried away. I'll have to be more focused next time.

Cute outfit Betinapple!

Fashionista-ta, you're right. Maybe I should reconsider the whole idea and not worry about finding button shirts. I like the look of them, but they don't stay closed if I buy the right size and if I buy a bigger size they are too boxy, like lucy92 mentioned.

My shopping plan was a new dress, skirt, 2 shirts and a pair of oxfords. I guess I was disappointed because I got carried away. I'll have to be more focused next time.

Cute outfit Betinapple!

Thx a bunch!

Today, I thought about what I bought so far this season and what I still need/want. I think I'm on quite a good way. The only thing I desperatly need now is a cardigan. Everything else are items that I'd love to have, that would serve me well but that aren't total must-haves.

Talking about things that aren't total must-haves: I have been admiring pictures of Mexicana boots for a while now. I recently tried a pair and while I like them, I feel like totally unsure what you'd wear them with and if they are a flattering style for a rather petite, short-legged person. Oh well, and I have no idea yet whether they'd really suit my style either... But I'm looking for inspiration here: Anyone owns a pair of cowboy boots, how do you style them?

(The shoes are pretty expensive, I don't really think I'll spend that much money on a style I'm so unsure about...)

(Seems this season I'm attracted to several pieces that so far never made it to my wardrobe. Not sure what this is all about. I still resisted the neon orange denim jacket though... ^_^)

Pic: luxuryhotshoes.com

The boots are kinda cute ... I don't own any myself (and I live in the region Lucy mentioned :ninja:)--I just don't think they're me. They look to me like they'd be cute at the playground, on weekends, casual days at work, with leggings or jeans or maybe casual pants. I would want to try them on ... they look like they might need a significant amount of breaking in (which I am not really willing to do). There are so many soft leather shoes out there, that I figure why should I ever have to suffer :innocent:

Super cute, betinapple :flower:

Cute outfit Betinapple!

Yay, that's one problem solved today :lol:

I guess I liked the look of them at one time, as I wore them a lot in college. I used to get up at 5:15 am and iron a pima cotton shirt to wear every day. I think I must have been insane :rolleyes: I can't tell you how many years it's been since I ironed, never mind at that ungodly hour ... the clothes I wear now are so much lower maintenance.

Sometimes I do a big shop one season and a small shop the next season, and balance things out that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
famfaluca
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->