The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
barbaraaa Yes, I guess everyone's ideal sweater is different, just thought I'd post this one here for your consideration. :flower: Love the one you posted too, especially the little buttons!

Betinapple Thank you for the advice! :heart: I would love to post my dresses, but I only have my phone with me and you can't see them that well on the photos. Though I don't think they'd be your style as you prefer longer skirts, they're shorter. :flower: But I have to say I really want to wear longer skirts too, but I have such a hard time finding them here in Slovenia, all they seem to sell are minis! And my legs are REALLY not my best asset. :unsure: Your light pink quilted leather jacket sounds lovely, I would love to see pictures! I'm thinking about what I should suggest for the jacket/cardigan. I'll post again if I think of anything!

^ i think one of the dresses you posted in another thread ... was it best buys of 2012??

sound like you may want to eliminate Tricot, but the wang t is very good.

you might try zara in white, and wang in a dark color.

Last edited by a moderator:
Juliette, I know ^_^ just sharing a different look for the same type of sweater.

@Juliette: Thx! :flower: this is my leather jacket

DSC_0019_zps0b98e5c2.jpg

How about shopping at international brands? They might have longer skirts.

^That jacket is so pretty! I want one just like it in a shade of brown <3 the detailing is so nice.

Juliette: If you are short enough, all skirts would be too long :innocent:

I have the opposite problem: even skirts that would be knee-length are mid-thigh for me :lol:

@Eizhowa: Thx a lot! I am considering just buying it in black if I can find it.

@Barbaraa: Maybe that is why I never have problems with too short skirts. I am rather short myself.

Denim jacket: Thanks for the link, Juliette! Sadly, anything oversized looks really overwhelming on me... :( I think I will need something more fitted, especially since I plan to wear it over dresses. I might go for a light version, though the "degrade" version by Acne hasn't really left my thoughts. Not sure if it is one of those cases were the idea is more tempting than the actual reality though. What does everyone think of this? http://shop.acnestudios.com/shop/women/coats-jackets-4/stace-degrad.html

T-Shirts: Personally, I quite like those by Petit Bateau or APC. Petit Bateau: http://www.petit-bateau.de/e-shop/product/32034/5A1/damen-t-shirt-aus-genopptem-jersey.html. I bought two last year and thought they were looking good, much better than in this pic. APC is great for tees, too. But I think it's so personal what the perfect tee is for you and it depends on many aspects - like body type, personal style etc.

Breton striped sweaters: I own a breton striped tee by APC and I've been so happy with the quality. So APC would be my recommendation again. In general, I consider it a good brand when it comes to "price per wear"/"reasonable price for good quality".

Short skirts: I usually buy mini skirts/mini dresses because I am so short. They never really look mini on me :P

Betinapple: Great jacket!

Last edited by a moderator:
@RedandNavy: I think the jacket is cool. Just not sure how well it would go with colours and patterns which I recall you wear quite a lot?

Thx for the nice comments about my jacket. What colours would you guys wear it with? I love it but most of the time the colour does not work for me. I often think that it "pops" too much when worn with black but I am not sure wether that is in my head.

I think a jacket like this might be what I need. I think it will go well with both skirts, pants and my fullskirted dresses and it will go with my "up-to-date"-looks as well as my more ladylike attires.

Has anyone seen something in the same style? I am considering if I might be able to sew one myself.

modedullen_zpsd239c566.jpg

Pic source: modedullen.blogspot.dk

redandnavy: that acne jacket is fantastic! I think it'll combine very well with prints - it depends on the specific combinations of course, but it can be really chic I think.

betinapple: sewing a jacket yourself, fab! I had a jacket a little bit like that a few years ago, I got it at Zara... it went with everything (or maybe it didn't, but I made it go with everything, haha). it was a linnen/wool-mix, and I deliberately shrunk it a little in the wash to make it fit better. but then I shrunk it too much... alas. with an 'open' jacket like that, I think the fit of the shoulders and the arms is really important, they need to be slim and sharp. If they are too loose, the jacket will look out of proportion.
oh - and great that you found that pair of 'hidden' sandals :smile:

my own non-shopping and non-browsing experiment is going well - though I did sneak into Zara the other day to see if they had potentially purchase-able spring coats. which they didn't. I did see a cool a-symmetrical black knit, and a very nice black jacket, but I didn't buy either. I felt pretty overwhelmed by all the clothes on offer, the sheer volume of the merchandise, which only made me think taking a break is a good thing right now.
I am, however, starting to think about a new spring coat. I have a linnen Isabel Marant parka, but my partner hates it. And I only moderately love it, so I'm thinking about putting it on eBay. Since that is my only spring coat, then I will definitely *need* a new one.
But I'm not sure what I am looking for... I'd like something with a little shape to it, I am pretty tall (5'10", or 1,78m) with an hourglass figure, and I look best in something that defines/highlights/whatever the word is my waist. In the spring and summer, I mostly wear high-waisted wide legged linnen trousers (and dresses and skirts, but I need the coat to go with my trousers the most, since spring here in the netherlands usually takes a while to warm up), and the linnen parka on top of that just felt like too much volume all around. anybody have any ideas? a classic trench? for some reason I fear I'll look too old in that... don't know why though...

@Twistelette: Well, let's see if I actually CAN sew a jacket my self. Jackets are hard to fit but since I want one in a soft material I am thinking it might be possible. After some practice. If I can I will buy one though. And you are perfectly right regarding the fit. I owned one previous as well. Perfect fit, but it was brown which is definetely not my colour.

I really get what you mean regarding browsing. I've been looking for jackets on the internet and I just think it made me confused.

I would go for a trenchcoat. I think it is the perfect coat for spring. If you want you could go for something less classic to make sure you do not look matronly (which I do not think trenchcoats do. I love the Jackie O look with jeans, a breton blouse, shades and a trench). My trenchcoat is skirted but if you wear flared pants that wouldnt be a good solution I guess. I think I would consider going for one with leather sleaves in your case.

And finding the "hidden" sandals was great. Actually I just remembered that I also have a pair of black heels. I do not understand why my memory is so bad ATM. I have always been perfect at keeping track of my clothes, even when I shopped all the time. These heels are 30's style with slingback and a closed heel and they are really comfortable. I'll make do with these and pospone the investment of black pumps since I am not wearing heeled shoes a lot these days.

ugh, my whole response just got wiped out ... as i was saying ...

r&n, i'd def go for the dramatic acne jacket, it's great!

twistelette, agree with a trench with a twist! mine has a handy zipout wool lining.

betinapple, what about grey with your pink?

can you make your shoes more visible so you can see what you have, maybe open shelving?

^ that has happened to me before, ugh indeed...

thanks for the advice re: spring/trenchcoat. I'm just not sure... a trenchcoat just doesn't immediately feels 'me', somehow. it feels like the sort of coat that *could* be my style - like the sort of coat that would slightly alter me & make me someone different than who I am. it's hard to put my finger on exactly. and it isn't a bad thing either, necessarily. but I've come to only want to buy items that feel like 'me' immediately (and sometimes that 'me' is a part of me that wasn't emphasized before, but this feels different) - that is what this french wardrobe thing is about, mostly. and I've just never seen a trenchcoat that felt that way. maybe I've yet to meet the right one :smile:

oh, and I second the idea of grey with the pink jacket!

twistelette: I am very hourglass-y too, and although I love the idea of a trench coat, but I have never felt at home (or, "me") in them either:( I think it is because in my mind the ideal trench coat wearer has a size 34A bust and looks a bit like a boy:P I have never tried on a very expensive trench yet, but I am eyeing a trench from a.p.c.

Betinapple: Pink can look very lovely with browns/cognac shades as well as grey:flower:

^ that has happened to me before, ugh indeed...

thanks for the advice re: spring/trenchcoat. I'm just not sure... a trenchcoat just doesn't immediately feels 'me', somehow. it feels like the sort of coat that *could* be my style - like the sort of coat that would slightly alter me & make me someone different than who I am. it's hard to put my finger on exactly. and it isn't a bad thing either, necessarily. but I've come to only want to buy items that feel like 'me' immediately (and sometimes that 'me' is a part of me that wasn't emphasized before, but this feels different) - that is what this french wardrobe thing is about, mostly. and I've just never seen a trenchcoat that felt that way. maybe I've yet to meet the right one :smile:

oh, and I second the idea of grey with the pink jacket!

well, maybe not then :flower:

burberry was 'just' a heritage company when i bought mine ... it's so classic ... i guess now that it's been part of my whole adult life, it's me :wink:

i don't think i look busty in mine ...

i think the burden may be on your partner to come up with the perfect coat, since you're willing to give up one i assume you like :lol:

@Ta-ta: I actually have a basic, grey dress which I was planning to wear with it but in the winter time I only wear black tights and all my wintery shoes are black as well and that would look a bit odd I guess. I am thinking about wearing it today with all black though. Maybe it is just in my mind.

I could make the shoes more visible. I just never needed to do that before. Also I feel like they are taken better care of when in boxes. I am considering putting polaroids on my shoeboxes.

@Twistelette: I understand how you are feeling and I would definetely go for something else then. How about a short parka or a leather jacket?

And speaking of things that doesn't feel "me". I bought a sequined skirt in December. It is lovely but very short and very tight and I feel so wrong wearing it. I am thinking of selling it to my girlfriend who wants it. I can not make it work.

Betinapple: Have you considered buying some colored tights? I think it can be very chic if matched to your scarf. I was looking(/analyzing) at some pictures of Clemence Poesy back in the days (like 5 whole years ago:lol:) when she was chicest creature on the planet and I noticed that she wore olive green sheer tights with her outfit that matched her scarf. She used tights in burgundy, greens and blues to add interest to her outfits. Just an idea. I am a bit obsessed with colored tights at the moment:P

Your grey dress and leather jacket could look very good with burgundy accents, I think.

(Source: Harrymedia.net)

Attachments

• 50b.jpg
    50b.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 10
betinapple: polaroids on shoeboxes sounds like a great idea. those black slingbacks you found back sound lovely, too. do you have any new plans for shoes you'd like to get, now that the high heeled sandals and the black pumps are less pressing?

I gave myself permission to mini-browse the outnet for coats yesterday, and promptly found three trenchcoats that I loved, all by Chloé. as it turns out, trenchcoats with a 70's vibe *do* feel like my style. I could've predicted it :smile: I can't responsibly spend 650 euro on a spring coat, though... so the quest continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryJC
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->