The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
fashionista-ta Ah, sorry! See, I don't even know what fine jewelry means. :blush: I really need to get an education in these things. Thank you for helping me. :flower: I'm actually looking for a nice silver watch at the moment, do you think a Michael Kors one would be okay? I like them the most, and I already have my eye on one.

I know what you mean! I've been checking the materials on every piece of clothing and it has really helped and given me a better understanding of materials and quality. ^_^ Now I just need to start saving, which is the hardest part of all. Even now that I'm writing this, I just want to buy, buy, buy. I think I have a problem. :unsure:

About traveling and shopping, I'm really not one for taking trips... I traveled all over the world (Asia, Europa, North Africa) with my parents, and I'm not really a fan now, though I love London and hope to visit it again soon. :smile:

The new thread you mentioned sounds GREAT, you should open it! I know I would definitely take part, and I think a lot of us could learn how to spend money wisely from it. Really good idea :heart:

So, I'm back from my shopping trip! :smile: I did end up getting the Zara striped sweater, it's lovely in person altough quite thin, but I personally like that for spring, it won't be too warm as I tend to get too hot quickly. The materials are lovely! :heart: I wanted to get the T-shirt I got about a week ago in light grey and white too, but they were sold out. I'm checking out another Zara store for them as soon as I get my paycheck (I don't know what's taking so long, I should've gotten paid on Friday :blink:) I also got some tracksuit pants which I desperately needed, before that I just walked around the apartment in lingerie or PJs :lol: And two T-shirts to go with them, but I don't consider either of these as my buys for the season, because they're more lounge clothes, and I ended up paying around 40€ for the whole lot, bargain! Wearing them now as I'm writing this and they're so comfortable. :D I also got some new tights, which I desperately needed, too.

So my 'real' buy was only the striped sweater, which cost 39.95€ :smile: My mom tried to convince me to buy other things, but I was really good and didn't choose anything from H&M and other 'quick fix' stores like that. I'm so happy and proud of myself, this may seem pathetic, but is quite an achievement for me. :blush:

I also put together my list for accessories for the whole year, which I'll post in this thread's cousin (?) thread, the shopping list one. I would love to hear your opinions on it. :flower:

Now I'm off to await your responses (so addicted to this thread, lovely people in here :heart:) and fashionista-ta's new shopping challenge thread!

Congratulations, Juliette, on buying that striped sweater and on not buying anything else, too! Well done! I hope it proves to be a great purchase. But striped sweaters nearly always are, they are such classics. What material is it (or did you write that before?)

Me: Maybe I should be ashamed of myself because even if I had already bought my Feb item I unexpectedly went shopping today. :blush: But I am not. :P I had two meetings in different towns today and I had an hour left before my train went off, so I decided to do something that I ALWAYS try to avoid... I decided to go and search a pair of work paints. I have been wearing mostly dark jeans and dresses during the last nearly two years when I went to work... We are totally allowed to wear jeans but I still wanted to have something more formal again for presentations and meetings. Sometimes a dress just didn't feel right for that.

So I went and found a pair in navy blue! Great because they have a straight leg and are still quite slim cut - which is just what I need. Most of the current pants just don't work for me so I'm all the happier for finding them. They are from Hugo, that's the bridge line from Hugo Boss and they were quite reasonably priced. It's a fine wool blend. So this was not planned ... But I have been waiting soooo long with this since I just hate buying pants that I feel really good now! :flower: Finally did what I had to do :lol:

I think this is the model that I bought - can't really check because they are at the tailor's right now. Nothing fancy, I know, but boy does it feel right.

Pic: hugo boss online store

Attachments

• hugo_pants.jpg
    hugo_pants.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
^Thank you so much! :flower: The material is 50% Mulberry silk and 50% cotton, as opposed to my usual buys which were all from polyester! :yuk:

Congrats on getting a pair of work pants, I know how hard it is to look stylish at work and still seem professional. And definitely don't feel bad about it, work clothes are a neccessity! :smile: Those pants look great, and I love the navy blue. What are you planning on wearing them with?

fashionista-ta Ah, sorry! See, I don't even know what fine jewelry means. :blush: I really need to get an education in these things. Thank you for helping me. :flower: I'm actually looking for a nice silver watch at the moment, do you think a Michael Kors one would be okay? I like them the most, and I already have my eye on one.

I know what you mean! I've been checking the materials on every piece of clothing and it has really helped and given me a better understanding of materials and quality. ^_^ Now I just need to start saving, which is the hardest part of all. Even now that I'm writing this, I just want to buy, buy, buy. I think I have a problem. :unsure:

About traveling and shopping, I'm really not one for taking trips... I traveled all over the world (Asia, Europa, North Africa) with my parents, and I'm not really a fan now, though I love London and hope to visit it again soon. :smile:

The new thread you mentioned sounds GREAT, you should open it! I know I would definitely take part, and I think a lot of us could learn how to spend money wisely from it. Really good idea :heart:

well, i'm not sure what the official definition is, but i just mean jewelry that uses precious metals like gold, platinum, etc.

i definitely believe in giving yourself treats, like some good chocolate, a nice meal, some pretty pens, coffee ... like what you did today, buying one sweater that was a considered purchase :flower: you can get just as much enjoyment from one thing :heart:

i believe london is a pretty good shopping city, and we also have city shopping threads here.

glad you guys like the thread idea ... what do you think about the amount? is $500 right, or should it be a bit more, like $750?

Congratulations, Juliette, on buying that striped sweater and on not buying anything else, too! Well done! I hope it proves to be a great purchase. But striped sweaters nearly always are, they are such classics. What material is it (or did you write that before?)

Me: Maybe I should be ashamed of myself because even if I had already bought my Feb item I unexpectedly went shopping today. :blush: But I am not. :P I had two meetings in different towns today and I had an hour left before my train went off, so I decided to do something that I ALWAYS try to avoid... I decided to go and search a pair of work paints. I have been wearing mostly dark jeans and dresses during the last nearly two years when I went to work... We are totally allowed to wear jeans but I still wanted to have something more formal again for presentations and meetings. Sometimes a dress just didn't feel right for that.

So I went and found a pair in navy blue! Great because they have a straight leg and are still quite slim cut - which is just what I need. Most of the current pants just don't work for me so I'm all the happier for finding them. They are from Hugo, that's the bridge line from Hugo Boss and they were quite reasonably priced. It's a fine wool blend. So this was not planned ... But I have been waiting soooo long with this since I just hate buying pants that I feel really good now! :flower: Finally did what I had to do :lol:

I think this is the model that I bought - can't really check because they are at the tailor's right now. Nothing fancy, I know, but boy does it feel right.

Pic: hugo boss online store

you've been talking about buying pants forever, so yay, you finally did! will have to check out hugo boss myself next time. not utterly thrilled with the black pants i have now.

Fashionista-ta: In response to your new thread suggestion I would just like to add that if I were to spend 500 USD in my own currency that would not necessarily be able to buy me as much as a US citizen would be able to buy for same the amount in the US. Our "purchasing power" is different. I have read in the past that if you factor in a nationalities purchasing power, then 100 USD = 100 GBP = 1000 NOK etc. If you just convert the currency you get approx. 100 USD = 70 BGP = 600 NOK. This equivalence is not perfect, but you will sometimes see an item on sale for 99 USD in the US, 99 GBP in the UK, and 999 NOK in Norway.

Even if I were to buy something from a US online shop I would still be paying for customs fees which would even out the original price difference difference.

Just wanted to point that out, because sometimes there are just not enough problems in the world.

Fashionista-ta: In response to your new thread suggestion I would just like to add that if I were to spend 500 USD in my own currency that would not necessarily be able to buy me as much as a US citizen would be able to buy for same the amount in the US. Our "purchasing power" is different. I have read in the past that if you factor in a nationalities purchasing power, then 100 USD = 100 GBP = 1000 NOK etc. If you just convert the currency you get approx. 100 USD = 70 BGP = 600 NOK. This equivalence is not perfect, but you will sometimes see an item on sale for 99 USD in the US, 99 GBP in the UK, and 999 NOK in Norway.

Even if I were to buy something from a US online shop I would still be paying for customs fees which would even out the original price difference difference.

Just wanted to point that out, because sometimes there are just not enough problems in the world.

:rofl:

totally ^_^

well why don't we figure out the dollar amount & then you guys can tell me what's fair in different currencies. i will say i was shocked recently how terrible us prices for european goods were--i can get much better deals on farfetch in many cases.

i like reading british shelter magazines & have noticed the prices being quite awful for home goods.

fashionista-ta I think $500 would be perfect... As for the European equivalent, how about 650€? Or maybe even 700€. I think that would be fair. :flower:

@Juliette: Congrats on getting your sweater! It looks great. I would buy it if I could wear oversized things. Can wait to see your shopping list. Mine is still a work in progress since I have no clue what to do about that pumps situation.

@RedAndNavy: You should not feel bad, you should feel good that you finally got those work pants. Yay you! :D

@Ta-ta: considering that I SHOULD not have spend 500$ before in at least 5 months I guess that amound would be enough for me.

Right now I'm pretty much in love with this jacket. It's viscose, so it should be very thin, and I'm not sure how the shoulders/front would look on me... Not sure it's worth the money either. Guess I'll have to see it in store.

kb6mqe.jpg

zara.com

I'm also on the look for some navy trousers and a blush blazer, most likely because I thought this styling looks great...:

3509c0o.jpg

oasis-stores.com

I started using this method quite a few years ago, maybe 6-7 years now, and I am now at the stage where I have upgraded all the basics I love to the best quality I can afford. For example I now have the perfect leather jacket, a few pairs of perfect jeans, a selection of great dresses that suit many different occasions and any shoes I buy now will only be replacements.

I have not followed this method religiously because in that time I have gone from being a student, to working in a professional environment, to being pregnant and now being a stay at home mum.

However I just wanted to tell everyone that is perhaps just starting out to stick with it. I am now at the stage where I am not just buying basic classic pieces. For this season I bought a red floral play suit which I have worn a lot over summer. I never would have bought it before because it was expensive and I would have preferred to spend my money on a good quality bag or shoes. But now that I have them all I can now work on making my wardrobe interesting. I still stick to my original rules that any item I buy has to go with the majority of my wardrobe. But this winter I am looking at buying an interesting coat as opposed to something safe because I know I already have a safe coat.

misstarshine: Hearing stories like that makes me wish time would move faster! I wish I was further down the path towards having a quality wardrobe that I love. On the other hand, I want to be 21, forever (not to be confused with Forever 21!!:(innocent:

Eizhowa I started when I was 26 and I'm now 32. It has been a very long process!

RedandNavy, congrats on getting those pants, they look great and I know you wanted a pair for a long time. I have a really great pair of classic working pants in black from Stefanel.
I bought them a couple of years ago for a ridiculously low price and the fit is perfect.
Actually those are the only pants that are long enough for me. :doh:

Edit: Wow, I overlooked a whole new rewritten page. Well done, Jina! :king:

Misstarshine, I see myself a lot in your post and have to admit it feels great. Although I just turned 24 and my student years are coming to an end right now.

I started using this method quite a few years ago, maybe 6-7 years now, and I am now at the stage where I have upgraded all the basics I love to the best quality I can afford. For example I now have the perfect leather jacket, a few pairs of perfect jeans, a selection of great dresses that suit many different occasions and any shoes I buy now will only be replacements.

I have not followed this method religiously because in that time I have gone from being a student, to working in a professional environment, to being pregnant and now being a stay at home mum.

However I just wanted to tell everyone that is perhaps just starting out to stick with it. I am now at the stage where I am not just buying basic classic pieces. For this season I bought a red floral play suit which I have worn a lot over summer. I never would have bought it before because it was expensive and I would have preferred to spend my money on a good quality bag or shoes. But now that I have them all I can now work on making my wardrobe interesting. I still stick to my original rules that any item I buy has to go with the majority of my wardrobe. But this winter I am looking at buying an interesting coat as opposed to something safe because I know I already have a safe coat.

congratulations :flower:

i can't say i've achieved perfection since i started this--let me look when that was. i could achieve perfection if the world didn't keep changing on me :lol: i seriously don't have perfection as a goal ... i just want a wardrobe that really functions, makes me look good, expresses my personal style, & is enjoyable & uplifting to me as well as hopefully others. that much is true :flower:

fall 2004 is when i started keeping records, but this is also how i first started seriously building my wardrobe when i was in high school. believe me, this is not how my family dresses. when my mother bought my clothes, it was hand-me-downs, garage sales, & the big box store, where everything we bought was polyester & under $10 (maybe $5)--& that was the good stuff.

i remember very well the first nice piece i bought when i was in high school--a Geiger floral cotton print skirt, grey & pink, for $125 in 1980s money. it is still in my back closet & totally wearable (& not my size anymore!). i don't recall any flack at all, because i was buying my own clothes, and had been contributing to my own wardrobe since 7th grade.

i have always wanted statement pieces, so i usually shoot for half basics, half fun. fun & colored pieces can be total workhorses in your wardrobe. shoes often do this for me ... i do like shoes to be fun ... unless i'm buying for an interview.

congratulations :flower:

fall 2004 is when i started keeping records, but this is also how i first started seriously building my wardrobe when i was in high school. believe me, this is not how my family dresses. when my mother bought my clothes, it was hand-me-downs, garage sales, & the big box store, where everything we bought was polyester & under $10 (maybe $5)--& that was the good stuff.

not all of my clothes are designer or even brand new. I buy a lot from ebay and thrift stores. I think that I have quite a good eye for second hand items because we never had new clothes as a kid and my favorite thing was the challenge of going thrift shopping to find new interesting items.

I have always loved interesting clothes I just didnt have a budget for it so I focused on basics instead and supplement with second hand items. Its just exciting that this is the first time in my life I can actually buy my interesting items brand new.

i too did the thrift/consignment thing in high school & college for some items, but unfortunately i didn't love it :lol: for years i wouldn't cut out any of my own scratchy labels because i so hated not knowing who made so many of the clothes! it is a great way to develop an eye for quality, because all you have to go on many times are the fabric & the construction. you also get to see how something will wear if it's been worn, & learn that the size on the tag, if any, means nothing.

shoes are apparently the most difficult to resell ... it certainly is difficult to love shoes molded to someone else's bunions :rofl:

one of my best finds was a beautiful taupe wool gabardine wrap skirt with stitched-down draping from calvin klein. i'd be thrilled to have it in my size today. it was beautifully made, wore like iron, & was interesting for having not a centimeter of wasted fabric.

i still like to shop vintage, but just for my house--or jewelry, which is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alantrabriggs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->