The Comme des Garçons "Universe"

Thanks for the pic droogist, very interesting. I didn't know abot the Speedo collab!! Think I might pass on that one though.

This whole multi-labelling thing is something that 's now talked about quite a lot - the article and pic are proof of that - but I suppose that's really only because CDG have expanded the brand management concept into the "west". They've always had this multitude of brands in Japan, and in fact that's where most of them still are based. I think it's a great and fairly unique way of selling clothes, and however cynical we might be tempted to be about it, it is linked by a genuinely creative force or ideal. There is an abundance of ideas that have "sprung" out of her head, from all of the collections she's done in the past 30 years or whatever it is. I think that all of the different labels take different aspects of those ideas, of the comme aesthetic, and develop those in more detail.

Nqth, I'm not sure homme homme is around any more. I've certainly never heard of it being sold anywhere other than out of Japan. Homme Duex is a suit and formal wear line right? They sell this in DSM (never seen it in Paris). Never seen Noir either, sound interesting from what softie says abot it.

On you trip around the universe, did you buy anything softie? Just out of interest, what did you think of Junya Man?

Johnny said:
I didn't know abot the Speedo collab!! Think I might pass on that one though.

You can't get into a woman swimsuit anyway Johnny:-P

aha!! NQTH!!....:lol:

Johnny said:
On you trip around the universe, did you buy anything softie? Just out of interest, what did you think of Junya Man?
i did not ...
there were a few nice skirts...
but the skirt i have from last fall really does the same job...
and much of my fall wardrobe will revolve around some version of that...
*although i must say...i thought the prices were fairly reasonable compared to last year's collection..
i'm going to wait until more pieces arrive next month...

the only thing that tempted me was that NOIR tux jkt...which was really
VERY GOOD...:heart:

sorry johnny...
the junya man stuff didn't appeal to me enough to take more than a glance around the area..
which is here i found a very lovely young man to explain everything to me...
i found him more interesting than the clothes...:P....
especially cause he was head to toe in the cdg menswear....:crush:
sorry...:blush:...

**i forgot to mention that i also looked at TAO...
which is apparently doing pretty well...
but i wasn't convinced...seemed kind of difficult to wear...
and just itchy and uncomfortable really...:ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
softgrey said:

i did not ...
there were a few nice skirts...
but the skirt i have from last fall really does the same job...
and much of my fall wardrobe will revolve around some version of that...
*although i must say...i thought the prices were fairly reasonable compared to last year's collection..
i'm going to wait until more pieces arrive next month...

the only thing that tempted me was that NOIR tux jkt...which was really
VERY GOOD...:heart:

sorry johnny...
the junya man stuff didn't appeal to me enough to take more than a glance around the area..
which is here i found a very lovely young man to explain everything to me...
i found him more interesting than the clothes...:P....
especially cause he was head to toe in the cdg menswear....:crush:
sorry...:blush:...

oh well, thanks.

softgrey said:

thats what I thought of TAO......uncomfy.

did you like any of the junya parkas? was that what you thought was too punky? I was considering a tweedy one .....but not sure about its versatility.

i don't know...all the rip cords are cool...
and there was a nice msgr bag in blk lthr and red plaid...
yes-that is what felt punk-y to me...
but i just felt like i might have worn it in my twenties or at a different moment in time...but not now...like the moment had passed...if that makes sense...
it didn't feel new or exciting the way the cdg stuff did...
for me anyway...

:flower:
there was one interesting cdgcdg dress now that i think about it...
but it wasn't anything amazing...

I also saw some Junya's menswear this past weekend, Johnny. Did you know there was another version of the Xmas sweater? I thought it was much nicer. The fabric is better, and the color palette is more subdued, bluish with a red band around the collar. I also liked one of the parkas, and the stripey ruched pants, but the rest didn't do anything for me. And the prices are very high :shock: .
Saw your Evergreen jacket, very nice. Oh, and the CDG H+ cardi you got instead of the Xmas sweater, I loved it (God is in the details on that baby)!!!

But the thing that killed me (again) was that CDG H+ padded nylon blazer. Oh, man, I want one. Best piece I've seen this season I might say.

Thanks for the reports chaps.

I haven't seen any other Xmas sweaters, but I'm leaving it for the moment anyway. After my jacket...like you say Faust, the prices are high!

Mes Style Article

Rei’s Greatest Hits

Comme des Garçons spruces up its classics

August 29, 2005—If rock stars can release greatest-hits compilations, why not designers? That appears to be the thinking behind CDG Evergreen, a new line from Rei K

Rei’s Greatest Hits

Comme des Garçons spruces up its classics

August 29, 2005—If rock stars can release greatest-hits compilations, why not designers? That appears to be the thinking behind CDG Evergreen, a new line from Rei Kawakubo that reprises the best looks from her Comme des Garçons archive. Restless spirit that she is, though, Kawakubo couldn’t resist a tweak here and there—these clothes are more remixes than reissues. In other words, don’t think you can just pull an old CDG suit out of your closet and achieve the same effect; everything here has been quietly modernized. That jacket from a couple of seasons back may now have a slightly slimmer profile, while other pieces sport inside-out seams and subtle changes in color or fabrics, which are dominated by washed wool, cashmere, and alpaca. Over time, hits from future collections will presumably be incorporated into the line, though the jury’s still out as to whether spring 2006’s Jagger-lip outfits will become evergreens.

thaks for posting the article Johnny. i'll certainly look forward to future EVER GREEN collections.

thanks johnny...
i like the name...^_^

first prada did this...then marc jacobs...
i guess rei knows a good thing when she sees one...
to make it a whole separate collection is pretty genius, imo...

:heart:

softgrey said:
thanks johnny...
i like the name...^_^

first prada did this...then marc jacobs...
i guess rei knows a good thing when she sees one...
to make it a whole separate collection is pretty genius, imo...

:heart:

I take it you're referring to MJ taking old comme pieces, copying them and passing them off as his own?!:D

Johnny said:
I take it you're referring to MJ taking old comme pieces, copying them and passing them off as his own?!:D

:rofl:

Johnny said:
Homme Duex is a suit and formal wear line right?

Homme Deux is their formal line...i've only seen it at CDG Aoyama. never took a close look...don't know if there are any special detailings on the collection.

has anyone seen any JAN CDG items? thoughts?

Johnny said:
This whole multi-labelling thing is something that 's now talked about quite a lot - the article and pic are proof of that - but I suppose that's really only because CDG have expanded the brand management concept into the "west". They've always had this multitude of brands in Japan, and in fact that's where most of them still are based. I think it's a great and fairly unique way of selling clothes, and however cynical we might be tempted to be about it, it is linked by a genuinely creative force or ideal. There is an abundance of ideas that have "sprung" out of her head, from all of the collections she's done in the past 30 years or whatever it is. I think that all of the different labels take different aspects of those ideas, of the comme aesthetic, and develop those in more detail.

I think she’s successfully applied brainstorming tactics into business strategies. I think rei’s elliptical, abstract way of connecting different facets of the comme brand proves to be a very potent, effective way to work. Because she is so flexible, she is able to experiment on many different levels with a great ability to respond to what’s current. imho, it is the perfect way to view a fashion company, because it is a moving shifting entity dependent on being spry and responsive to change. I think because companies, not just fashion, need to figure out better, faster ways to lure people in… it makes sense to look at comme des garcons. her brand is exciting and dynamic and has a emotional, artistic core. I have read that up until recently japan didn’t have a high or low art, but art was found in the every day. I think her brand, at it’s core, reflects that. she's like a battery which activates static things/.

My god... I had no idea it was that complicated! What I've seen must only have been the tip of the iceberg. (I'm a relatively new CDG fan.)
Thanks for posting!

Johnny said:
:woot: :lol: ..
that's a whole different kettle of fish...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raypinot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->