The Comme des Garçons "Universe"

I believe you can find CdG at I.T in Shanghai, probably at Beijing as well. Though I've heard they only carry boring CdG Play stuff. If you ever go HK then you have a better chance :flower: also they stock alot of CdG from past seasons at warehouses there so you'll be able to find great deals!

Those dance costumes are beautiful...thanks for posting that, travolta. Rei is such a good fit for Merce Cunningham.

travolta said:
rei designed the set, lighting and costumes for merce cunningham's 'scenario'

im_10.jpg

http://www.maisondeladanse.com/angl/prog/99_00/spec/p_10.htm

This is very interesting. The instructor for one of my classes actually was the lighting director and he had a very funny story about his experience working with rei. She was asked to do the costumes and agreed but later decided she wanted to do the set and the lights as well. Her designs went WAY over the budget and were not all that functional for the dancers either (she hadn't seen the dance until the opening night) and most of the tech crew were not pleased. When she came a few weeks before to check on progress Merce had to act as a mediator between my instructor and Rei so they wouldn't go crazy! She was very polite he did say. It was mostly her assistant based in New York who handled everything.

thanks for the info :flower:

what you say doesn't surprise me. i kinda have this impression that rei was audacious enough and bright enough to make her big weakness (very divergent thinking, and not as interested in technicalities) into her strength (making connections). i would say there's something about her designs that i relate to, having tried my hand at creating functional design, and i think the biggest inspiration she can provide is that she turned the tables on how we approach design.

btw. those costumes do give this impression of bumbling dancers, but merce cunningham, from what i've briefly read, isn't really a traditionalist. :innocent:

I think droogist saw the dance and she also said the clothes don't fit in. (I am sorry if I mislead you, droogist:-) I guess it's the point. It might be so "archaic" to think that dance is about effortlessly grace movements, flying against gravity. It is all about suffering, effort:-P (I am thin on dance, tho:-)))

I've had a small chat with a japanese girl about Comme and Yohji... She said the Comme clothes are "hard":-P. In the mean that it's everything but nice clothes, hehe. One must "suffer", or be very strong, wearing them. It must be an inner need:-P

maybe comme's clothes is about being resourceful. the garments that were made from basic patterns out of liner fabric came to mind (it inspired me to rip the liner out of my own old coat and try to turn it into a blouse, showcasing the production traces or the seams as compelling details), as well as the discarded paper in production she reinevented as a dress(reappropriation of materials)

nqth said:
I think droogist saw the dance and she also said the clothes don't fit in. (I am sorry if I mislead you, droogist:-) I guess it's the point. It might be so "archaic" to think that dance is about effortlessly grace movements, flying against gravity. It is all about suffering, effort:-P (I am thin on dance, tho:-)))
No, you read me right, nqth. :flower: The clothes didn't fit in. I'm not surprised to read Mutterlein's story; there didn't seem to be much integration between the choreography and the costumes at all - except for one humorous vignette involving a female dancer in a giant coccoon-ish straightjacket getting picked up, carried around, and set down again at various intervals, but that looked like an insertion :lol: . I think it's indeed possible that Ms. Kawakubo might have had a subtle form of artistic sabotage in mind when she designed to costumes - taking the dancers out of their comfort zone, as you say. But whether that's the case or not, I think the dance itself suffered. Greatly, even.

Comme des Garcons Website?

Does anyone know if there is an official website for comme des garcons?

CdG perfume limited edition 2005. Very :-P

20051103.PHO4108.jpg

from
http://www.madamefigaro.fr/mode/20051103.MAD0013.html#

Les parfums Comme des garçons habillés pour l'hiver (3). Après la layette,
les chandails. La mode du tricoté main frappe même là où on ne l'attend pas.
Ainsi, la griffe japonaise Comme des garçons a conçu sept fourreaux tricotés
main «avec amour» pour emmitoufler ses fragrances cet hiver. Si la marque est
célèbre pour son anticonformisme, c'est pourtant dans la tradition qu'elle a
puisé ses motifs jacquard et torsadés, qui évoquent les pulls confectionnés
par nos grands-mères. Plus 70, le fourreau en macramé est tout aussi stylé et
nostalgique. Une série limitée en vente dès la mi-novembre, 89 € le parfum en
fourreau de laine et 72 € pour le macramé.

/\ :woot: This has got to be the cutest perfume bottle EVAR! ^_^ Thanks nqth.

You are welcome, Faust. There are even high neck swrs for them:-P

Thanks for the diagram! Very useful :smile:
A couple things

Anyone ever seen the fruits of Comme des Garcons North Face? I'd be very curious about that. Or is that the down jackets that are in the Chelsea CdG store right now?

And, what do you guys think of Play? I don't really understand it. Is it just a money making thing? The shirts just don't do much for me...

i.e.
azt023a.jpg

azn001nvya.jpg

azt033a.jpg

aloharag.com

Thanks nqth & cerfas......I ADORE that little elephant and the Play Bear - they are sooooosuper cute. I want one for my Xmas...hope santa is reading this.

You are wlecome, Helena:-)

Cerfas, I think they might want to do Lacoste, Polo or ... kind of things. A "sign":-P. It is mostly clasic basics, tshirts, polos and such.

The heart is cute:-) But the material is quite tough, not as silky as some of their Shirt and H+ (and cheaper, too). The ones with navy stripes are smoother in touch, tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
0285-1.jpg

ragtag.co.jp
Comme des Garcons Robe de Chambre

nqth--lacoste?! really?!?
Oddly enough
my friend has this pair of lacoste sneakers that look a lot like CdG shoes in their overall shape
its bizarre & everyone notices it (not just me :smile:)
anyway thanks for the additional insight into play

I agree that the bear is really cute

more from the dover street market site:
Made With Love
golfing2.jpg

bbsnow1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member