The Craftmanship of Haute Couture ... The details and how they do it.

i tried making 'couture' once for my sister. i swear...hand sewing silk tulle and jersey...NOT fun. but VERY VERY satisfactory:D not easy, but not too bad for my first try. actually quite fun. everyone should try it. beats sewing with a machine when you complete it:D

Im trying for a job at a bridal shop and they do a lot of embroidery work, but they use the regular long taking method, however they do pay nice to do it and i thought hummm maybe i could try the tambour method that seems so easy to do. i did a little google search and found great videos from a brand that makes the materials to bead with this technique, they are really easy to understand and you can download them fromt he website, heres the address.
http://world.cloverhobby.jp/fancywork/kantan/kantan.html

i realized this product from clover, the Kantan Couture hook is easier to work with if you are a beginner on this type of beading than the regular hook. heres the difference
tambourhook_enlarge.jpg
016149-t.jpg

woodenhamlet,bock

i couldnt find bigger picture but you can see it has a latch and it prevents the thread from getting off the needle and makes the beading/embroidery process easier and faster. it can be bought at clover-usa.com, unfortunately they only ship within the us and canada....booo!

i realized this product from clover, the Kantan Couture hook is easier to work with if you are a beginner on this type of beading than the regular hook. heres the difference

woodenhamlet,bock

i couldnt find bigger picture but you can see it has a latch and it prevents the thread from getting off the needle and makes the beading/embroidery process easier and faster. it can be bought at clover-usa.com, unfortunately they only ship within the us and canada....booo!

I was looking to buy that hook the other day! I wanted to use it for beading on my knitted pieces. unfortunately i live in the wrong country too and couldn't find anywhere else to buy it :(

Last edited by a moderator:
it looks just like a crochet hook :o
you can get crochet hooks as fine, but i dont think they are sharp (if that one is sharp)

and the one on the left is also called a "latch hook"
i saw one at the dollar store, not very fine
i use it for my knitting machine.. (to do a crochet technique even)

it looks like one but theyre not that alike, these hooks are very fine and pointy but not sharp enough to ruin your fabric, a crochet hook is too thick to go in and out of the fabric as easily and without ripping it but they do have the same principle of twisting and pulling.

The type of latch hook to most common is the one for doing rugs and such but its too wide, it wont get through a delicate fabric without damaging it.
5174.jpg
foxcollection

a nice video on the Chanel team making one of the looks in their recent fall HC collection...
http://videos.nymag.com/video/480-3s0750

so...
they always drape the garment right on the body, instead of drafting the pattern it seems. and the process for embroidery is pretty extensive.. that colouring design in several paper layers and then incised.. and then rubbed with talc... kind of odd

thanks eugenius

nice to see the evolution

nowadays it only matters that you have the strongest ideas
that people will automatically copy/follow you..
irregardless of being a couturier or in pret-a-porter

Craftsmanship Behind Haute Couture

Chanel Spring Summer 2008 - 400 hours went into the construction and embroidery of look no. 53. Embroidery completed by Lesage.

Chanel+Spring+2008+xe3zPA8sYXcl.jpg

Givenchy Fall Winter 2011 - The Crystal Beads used particularly on this piece reportedly took 8 months to make.

Givenchy+Fall+2011+HBSIUCEn-5Bl.jpg

Christian Dior Fall Winter 2012 - 350 Hours went into the construction and embroidery of look no. 46

Christian+Dior+Fall+2012+SIuHcYpXWBel.jpg

Christian Dior Fall Winter 2004 - Over 80 Metres of Fabric were used in the construction of the final look at the show and weighed more than 50 pounds once completed.

Christian+Dior+Fall+2004+vVCcVIc-Nuol.jpg

*Stylebistro.com

I read somewhere that the Japanese Givenchy couture collection has some dresses that required more than 3,000 hours of embroidery. Amazing thread by the way

Although this isn't technically Haute Couture, the work is performed by the Artisans and the work that went into it is equal to Haute Couture - Reportedly over 378 Hours went into the scenery on the top worn by Lindsey Wixon from Chanel Pre-Fall 2015.

*Style.com

Christian Dior Fall Winter 2006 - Reportedly over 100 Metres of Fabric were used in the final look worn by Stella Tennant.

Christian+Dior+Fall+2006+htDqsv-CrExl.jpg
Christian+Dior+Fall+2006+SZXm67WsOi7l.jpg

*Stylebistro.com

I read somewhere that the Japanese Givenchy couture collection has some dresses that required more than 3,000 hours of embroidery. Amazing thread by the way

In my opinion Riccardo Tisci is the best couturier alive...also the prices are very high, over $1 for some pieces. :shock:

My favourite Chanel HC collection :wub:

youtube/chanel

Although this isn't technically Haute Couture, the work is performed by the Artisans and the work that went into it is equal to Haute Couture - Reportedly over 378 Hours went into the scenery on the top worn by Lindsey Wixon from Chanel Pre-Fall 2015.

:blush::heart::woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->