The Craftmanship of Haute Couture ... The details and how they do it.

There was this documentary on TV were they followed the whole process of making Haute Couture for Chanel. From the very start when Karl came in with the sketches to the final show. It was really amazing all the work that went into it! But I can't remember what it was called..:(

the show was called Signe Chanel - some subbed episodes still available on YT (I hope I'm allowed to say this)

^Yes. What I remember most is the lady that makes the braid trims for the jackets in her isolated country house. She is the only one that can make them. I hope she will teach her secret craft to someone younger so this tradition can go on.

^Yes. What I remember most is the lady that makes the braid trims for the jackets in her isolated country house. She is the only one that can make them. I hope she will teach her secret craft to someone younger so this tradition can go on.

Sadly Mme. Raymonde Pouzieux died in 2011. She mentioned in the documentary that Chanel had sent a group of girls to apprentice with her, but after a few days they either gave up or got bored.

Image source: my own scan from US Vogue.

Attachments

• Lacroix & Madame Pouzieux copy.jpg
    Lacroix & Madame Pouzieux copy.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited by a moderator:
^Thank you! This is fascinating. The stuff of fairytales.

some videos regarding the embroiderers Hurel and Lesage, feather and flower artisans Lemarie, and pleat makers Lognon..one of them is in French though, sorry about that, but you can still see how they do things. If any fluent French speaker would like to attempt to translate some of this that would be appreciated :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyyes1FhQNI&feature=player_detailpage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNtIRezaOzY&feature=player_detailpage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oai7HNy5bjQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5uAuH4k1qc&feature=player_detailpage

*for some reason I couldn't copy the videos onto here, sorry about that too

Last edited by a moderator:
That's incredible. I can't understand why so many people are so negative about paying so much money for these dresses – thay are like the best paintings!

i would like a slowed down version, or a full piece from beginning to end. it;s fascinating just watching.

I see. Has it been only recent Métiers d'Art became a separate show? I remember a show in Shanghai but it was specifically pre-fall.

^^
They have been doing Metiers d'Arts since 2002. But these shows became important 10 years ago.

By the way, all the special pieces by Chanel in RTW collections are also made by their Artisans.
At Lesage, they have started to do fabrics for Chanel 8 or 6 years ago.

The level of craftmanship at Chanel in RTW and Couture is incredible. The fact that the same ateliers that are doing couture are also responsible of the RTW helps them to maintain that quality

Thanks for clearing that up for me. B)

Excerpt from - http://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/intelligence/inside-the-oscars-dressing-game

While Fremar’s clients expect a fashion-forward proposition from the stylist, there are also a number of practical considerations at hand. For instance, Moore wore Chanel to accept her Academy Award for Best Actress in 2015. (The actress has no financial relationship with the house.) “We felt that it would be nice to be loyal,” Fremar revealed. “It’s nice to choose a brand that will support you, that has nothing to do with any monetary exchange.” To help Fremar and Moore choose the right gown, employees of Chanel hand-carried multiple looks from Karl Lagerfeld’s Spring 2016 couture collection to New York for Moore to try on. They settled on a black lace corset dress with a structured top and embroidered straps, inspired by a similar look from the collection. While the piece was multicolour when it was presented at Chanel's couture show, Lagerfeld created a black version specially for the actress, encrusting a layer of lace and organdy with 1,500 Swarovski diamond silver-shade stones cut into geometric shapes. After the stones were embroidered onto the dress, they were completely covered with frayed-edge black silk tulle.

Lagerfeld, who has built a congenial friendship with Moore over the years, altered the original design for the actress, taking the requests of her and her stylist into consideration. (For instance, along with changing the colour, he lengthened the gown so that it would hit the floor.) “Chanel doesn’t usually custom make clothing, so it feels really special and it is a statement that there is a relationship there,” said Fremar. “They have a mutual admiration. It’s a nice collaboration.” The dress was fit on Moore’s body a total of four times and required 500 hours of work and 22 people to complete.

Julianne+Moore+88th+Annual+Academy+Awards+Dv3U1TNcAhFx.jpg

*Zimbio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->